World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,062 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
headed out with goose for a short sesh this afternoon,running late cos the fpo was late back from work so by the time we got down to babbett ness it was 2pm,the solunar calendar stated major activity time would be 12.15-3.15pm ish so was expecting to be straight into cod and pollack but after a half hour nothing so decided to head out to the reef off kingsbarns,i tried out my new waveblaster 6/12lb rod fishing light with a 2oz bullet lead(which coped well with the 1-1.5knt drift) and a 10ft trace to a sidewinder shad fishing sink and draw,goose opted for a 3 hook pink goblin rig AND a long trace with a shad on the bottom! i thought that would be gone before he caught a fish on this snaggy reef but straight off he was pulling in cod off the reef sometimes 2 at a time and i lost 3 shads before i changed tactics replacing the shad with a lighter holographic eel with instant success some cod coming in then a cracking pollack hit 15 turns up and dived straight back in to the reef,couldn't stop it with a quite tight drag setting so had to break out,winding up to check if i'd lost my eel when a cod hit mid water and at the same time a pollack hit my float fished launce 50yds out! consolation for losing the bigger pollack.the fishing tailed off around 3.30 so we had a couple drifts over a deeper nearby mark which resulted in another couple cod and another pollack on my float.so with a dozen cod to 5.5lbs and a couple nice pollack for the table, a few fish returned( one unintentionally which i dropped when lifting which was a nice red cod that looked like a goldfish on the reef)time to return to harbour,a short but very enjoyable sesh.goose will post piccie of a couple of his nice cod later. :boat:

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
good wee sesh again bill was meant to be going for skate today but boat partner had a callout to work could still have went over to dunbar but after having the skate head on it was will i wont i will i in the end done the garden today well done the both of you.

·
Registered
794 Posts
ay it was a nice couple of hours at sea i lost a good fish early on when my braid parted in nomans land must have been frayed ,i fished 3 hooks and a shad allday an never got a mackie or coalie ,but my poundland shad caught,i went to buy more yesterday but some rat had cleaned them oot as they were on sale at 50p,ony 1 pic today

Attachments

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
Sounds like a nice sesh Bill. I was along at Crail fishing the hirst then closer in as the wind got up. We had about 10 decent cod, biggest about 5 lbs. The best came to a 150 gram dexter wedge jigged off the bottom. My mate had a cracking wrasse on an imitation sand eel first one I had seen taking a lure. Then 10 mins later I had one on my dexter wedge. The wind dropped down about 4 ish so we went back out to about 70' of water and bagged up on mackies. We also had 4 or 5 pollock to jellys. Was a hard shift with wind against tide, we were struggling to hold bottom with 8 ounce leads. When you out next?
Pulled my creels on theway in and had 4 sized lobsters out of 6 creels so it wasn't a bad day.

·
Registered
2,062 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
hi mate,working next weekend so weekend after that but may get out for an evening sesh when tide times permit.i only used 2oz bullet weight today in up to 50ft+ drifting to 1.5knts and never lost a weight,fishing the lighter rods allows use of lighter leads without loss of feel,i could feel the fish nibbling the lure on the way up before taking,very sensitive.there is neap tides in august which look good for wrecking weather permitting(just made up 90 norwegian pirks 12-20oz and will powder coat them soon) meet up then if you're off work.
cheers,bill.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts