World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I can understand people wanting more info on fishing marks, but I have to admit I have one I would be loath share en masse.

But there is something that could be shared of equal value, and that is how to read the sea. This way we could find our own. Weather conditions, tides, what the shore is like, what to look for, tell tale signs etc.

Maybe people could even describe well-known locations, and explain why certain areas fish better.

I'd love to know how to read the sea and leave catching a little less down to chance.

Any starters?

·
Registered
594 Posts
I know what you mean, i was thinking this a while ago, so i got a note book and i write down all the info of a fishing trip, mark, tide, weather, bait used, catch( if any), this is a good way to learn, but i think its all about getting out there and trial and error,

·
Registered
200 Posts
I know what you mean, i was thinking this a while ago, so i got a note book and i write down all the info of a fishing trip, mark, tide, weather, bait used, catch( if any), this is a good way to learn, but i think its all about getting out there and trial and error,
i used to do this when carp fishing, not sure why, as i never bothered to look at the stuff i wrote the next time i went.
it is more trial and error, i fished burton lots over the winter, only because it was easy to get to and i knew i'd catch something. i found that if i turned up 3 hours before high tide, then i'd catch a fish. then 30 mins before and thirty mins after high tide i'd catch half a dozen or so. it was obvious then not to turn up too early as i was wasting my time, but it became predictable as i could say when i was going to catch, took the anticipation out of it slightly.

·
Registered
585 Posts
its the not knowing what you are going to catch at a venue is what i go for:g: :g:
thats what does it for me,:clap2: to much planning and you loose the surprise

·
Registered
213 Posts
I tend to visit the marks i want to fish after the big tides, as the tide will retreat much further than normal, and it gives you an opportunity to see what ground you are fishing on.

·
Registered
7,900 Posts
Don't consider it as "trial and error". Instead, see it as "trial, error, success and understanding why, or why not"!

I've spent the last 25 years on this and sometimes I'm right and sometimes I'm wrong
- there is so much to consider if you want an advantage even half of the time: so many variables that you cannot control.....

Sunday night I had bass after bass because the tide/venue/weather/bait needed/light levels all screamed so. Today I fished another mark that normally produces a few nice fish over neap HWs - hardly a thing resulted! Did have one tidy schoolie, that was that. Yet a very chill breeze blew in from the W and I could hear the surf a good half mile away seawards. No doubts as to where we are heading tomorrow for LW! Terns are diving R L & centre here which must mean either lots of sandeel or herring-fry close inshore, the latter I suspect because they're near-surface.

I'm using what I notice to attempt to be on the right mark, among the fish, in other words - however, be warned, it takes a long time, if my experience is anything to go by!

Cheers - John

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks John, much appreciated.

My wife's father took me out my first time fishing, and seemed to know where on the beach (it was Llansteffan beach) the bass would be. So on that beach I know roughly where to fish.

I was envious of his experience though. When a flying condom produced no results he said "switch to one of these mepps and see what happens" Sure enough, a bass pretty soon. But as he said, all his knowledge has come through experience.

Here's to the years ahead of me ;)

Gavin

·
Registered
73 Posts
I started to keep a basic log of what I was catching, method used hight of tide etc.
And even after the first year it was proving very useful.

I'm now in the 2nd year of my log and am already seeing paterns emerging and I definatly am catching more fish!

I still like to try new marks and methods, but if I'm, having a bad day then looking back at where I caught fish last year usually produces results.

Trying new marks/ methods is half the fun of fishing if I caught 100% of the time I'd probably lose interest!

·
Registered
965 Posts
I can understand people wanting more info on fishing marks, but I have to admit I have one I would be loath share en masse.

But there is something that could be shared of equal value, and that is how to read the sea. This way we could find our own. Weather conditions, tides, what the shore is like, what to look for, tell tale signs etc.

Maybe people could even describe well-known locations, and explain why certain areas fish better.

I'd love to know how to read the sea and leave catching a little less down to chance.

Any starters?
Very Good Point m8 ! I reckon the conditions: tides, weather, bait & rigs for time of year etc is probably significantly more important than the actual mark(give or take a few miles) ?

·
MARCHING ON TOGETHER!
10,506 Posts
to be honest i think you could be a top welsh angler fishing and have the same chance as anyone else sometimes.as happened one day down the sand spit penarth when a welsh team member who shall remain nameless was with his young son who could not cast much further than his shadow caught a 2lb codling on his first cast and his dad caught nowt .
and the girl fishing next to me at hobbs point last summer on a bamboo rod thing a cheap float that nasty gulp bait and me with all my gear and kit to match add the cost of the bait i brought up with me i was outfished all night and she had a pollock on the float as well and a bass as well me totaly embarrased but is'nt that fishing for you eh?word and mouth best tips you will ever need..:)

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I put the same question on the Beginners part of the forum, and I had a great reply from Rob, so thought I'd share it with anyone who wants it.

"Most people who go fishing spend time staring at rod tips or chatting to friends, but miss the things going on around them.

Sea birds are generally ignored and sometimes swore at, but watching their behaviour can help, after all they have to find fish to survive, it's more than just a bit of fun for them, it's life or death, they will be well practised in the art of fish finding so watch them.

Went fishing once, not a bite for about 3 hours, the wind changed direction and suddenly the rod tip went mad, so worked out that that particular venue fished best when the wind was from that direction.

Watching where weed gets washed up on the beach helps, if there's more of it in one spot than anywhere else, there's an underwater current that sweeps it there, where's there a current there's food and where there's food, there's fish.

There's loads more, but I'll give the floor to someone else with their experiences."

What a damn fine post ...

Gavin

1 - 11 of 11 Posts