World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Decided to go spinning this morning a little way south of Bude. As my current success rate borders around zero, I made a decision last night to take some frozen sandeel and my beach rod too, just in case.

First cast was just after 5am - absolutely beautiful with the mist drifting off the land. The mark looked, to my novice eyes, quite 'bassy' and the weather and conditions seemed great. Fish almost guaranteed. I obviously didn't catch anything, so after about an hour thought I'd make use of the sandeels and found a nice sandy bit of ground that would be ideal to chuck a heavy weight from.

I've only float-fished and spun so far in the sea, so this was a new experience. I had made up a couple of rigs last night so tied one on and decided that 4oz was just too scary so went with a 3oz lead (please don't ask me to explain this) and cast out.

It absolutely flew out, perfect trajectory, and seemed to stay in the air for eternity - but it still didn't land all that far out. How does that happen? Decided to leave it anyway.

Got a shout from my wife to help her over some rocks (she was carrying the food for breakfast, bless her) so I glanced nervously at the rod and rushed over to help her. Got back and about 20 seconds later the rod tip started banging away. More out of surprise than anything else, I struck and a short while later was holding my first ever bass, caught on my first cast!

Photo below. I'm not a weirdo - the sun was in my eyes. :fishing:

Attachments

·
Registered
940 Posts
Congratulations yokelrobin! It's a great feeling to catch your first Bass!

Hopefully there will be many more where that came from!

·
Registered
688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Cheers.

Meant to say in the first post - I didn't have any scales, so couldn't weigh it there, and gutted it before I left.

It's 48cm long - I'm quite tall which makes it look smaller (as I have oft said before) - and I've had a look for a conversion chart, but the ones I've found seem to be for USA species. Any ideas?

·
Registered
3,630 Posts
Well done m8,Great feeling your first bass from shore:thumbs:.As for bass sizes it's about 36cm.Yours looks well over that.I would say it's about 2 1/2 lb -3lb. Great fish m8.All the best marty.:clap:

·
Registered
3,027 Posts
well done mate thats a great start for a bass.lovely morning wasnt it out there,i thought the same as i was up around 5 myself,only trouble is i was walking to work:wallbash: lol

if your cast seems to have the perfect height and speed when it starts-maybe try a heavier lead,say around four or five oz whichever suits your rod best,even up to 6 or 7 if the conditions dictate.
you should find this will help to 'tow' out your bait a bit better against the wind.:fishing:

·
Registered
688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks - looking back, I think the weight probably was a bit light. The rod is 4-6oz, so I'll increase it next time.

Trouble is I was brought up on coarse fishing - size 22 hooks and 0.1g weights. Moving on to 1/0 hooks and 4oz lead is a shock to the system!

·
Registered
2,883 Posts
Decided to go spinning this morning a little way south of Bude. As my current success rate borders around zero, I made a decision last night to take some frozen sandeel and my beach rod too, just in case.

First cast was just after 5am - absolutely beautiful with the mist drifting off the land. The mark looked, to my novice eyes, quite 'bassy' and the weather and conditions seemed great. Fish almost guaranteed. I obviously didn't catch anything, so after about an hour thought I'd make use of the sandeels and found a nice sandy bit of ground that would be ideal to chuck a heavy weight from.

I've only float-fished and spun so far in the sea, so this was a new experience. I had made up a couple of rigs last night so tied one on and decided that 4oz was just too scary so went with a 3oz lead (please don't ask me to explain this) and cast out.

It absolutely flew out, perfect trajectory, and seemed to stay in the air for eternity - but it still didn't land all that far out. How does that happen? Decided to leave it anyway.

Got a shout from my wife to help her over some rocks (she was carrying the food for breakfast, bless her) so I glanced nervously at the rod and rushed over to help her. Got back and about 20 seconds later the rod tip started banging away. More out of surprise than anything else, I struck and a short while later was holding my first ever bass, caught on my first cast!

Photo below. I'm not a weirdo - the sun was in my eyes. :fishing:
well done on your first,i'm glad to see the mrs was there,its converting her from breakfast carrying to fishing now,then look out.hehe. Aj:fishing1::thumbs:

·
Registered
688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
well done on your first,i'm glad to see the mrs was there,its converting her from breakfast carrying to fishing now,then look out.hehe. Aj:fishing1::thumbs:
Have just cooked a late lunch - all veg dug / picked fresh from the garden and fish caught this morning. One of the best meals I've had - she's asking when I can go fishing next :thumbs:

·
Registered
3,299 Posts
well done m8, was up widemouth just now and it looked perfect, if only it was dark and no water pixi's, I would have took a rod or 2 lol

·
Registered
940 Posts
Cheers.

Meant to say in the first post - I didn't have any scales, so couldn't weigh it there, and gutted it before I left.

It's 48cm long - I'm quite tall which makes it look smaller (as I have oft said before) - and I've had a look for a conversion chart, but the ones I've found seem to be for USA species. Any ideas?
Try here.

I caught one which measured 50cm from snout to fork. It weighed 3lb 11oz, so the conversion chart seems a good guide.

·
Registered
688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well done Robin. Beauty mate. Got a few new places I had a sniff round today. One Bass out for me on eel. Will get in touch as there's some awesome gulleys if you want a bash. Need your climbing boots though mate ??? :unsure:
Sounds good. I've got a few places that I quite fancy a crack at too - but not sure about access. A parachute might be better than climbing boots :eek:hmy:

·
Registered
3,217 Posts
Well done on ya first bass mate........once you have caught one....you want more !! great looking fish....and a fight to match the looks !

1 - 15 of 15 Posts