World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So my mum has been finally allowed back into the hospital to see my dad after however many weeks of lockdown we’ve been on. They’ve limited it to one person and max an hour visit. So I had my mum drop me off at Ballyhornan with the idea of walking back to Killard point for a couple hours fishing. Walk time is about 25mins relatively easy apart from the one little headland in between the two bays. Arrived pretty much low tide give or take 45mins not ideal as this fishes best two up two down in my opinion. Good depth of water and with the tide out allowed me to access some shelves that wouldn’t normally be fished. Clipped on a keitech swing impact chartreuse thunder 4.5” and away we went. After the first few casts with no take I was moving the lure back and forward in front of me just beyond the kelp looking at the different swimming actions with different motions As I lifted it to recast the lure must have been 10-12” out of the water when a 2lb+ pollack launched itself out of the water and promptly hung itself not much of a fight more a swing the rod to the right quick photo then back it went. Its important though to see how lures react to different speed retrieves and twitches and jerks it gives you confidence of how they should be moving at the end of a cast allowing for different presentations which on any given day can be the difference between a blank and a fish.
Rock hopped about to no avail then as the rising tide pushed me off the lower shelves I retreated to higher ground and clipped on a psycho sprat and launched it down wind. A few turns in got a nice bump didn’t fight like a pollack more noddy as it can up through the water I thought oooh big red gurnard. However it was a stunning little kelp cod who was super bright in colour shame he wasn’t 1 1/2lb heavier! Few casts later produced another pollack of 2 1/2lb this seems to be the standard stamp of fish on this mark no real big ones and I was amazed with the pull across the front there were no mackerel, but I’ve never really had many from there either. I was cognisant of the time moved higher up the rocks and my phone gave several quick pings which signalled my mum was in the car park in Ballyhornan so walked back met her at the end of the first bay and strolled back to the car a nice evening wander indeed.

Attachments

·
Registered
264 Posts
Not a bad session mate keeper lit always liked the look of ballyhornan would like to fish the beach there at some stage

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The beach it’s self isn’t super deep and the next bay north has way more worm casts than the first bay and is a bit deeper. Suppose it’s a benefit of being in an area of scientific interest. If you park at the north end of the bay it’s only be a 10-15 min walk. The run between the island is quite weedy but I’ve had mackerel drifting over sand in the centre of the bay whilst fishing for flounder. It’d definitely be worth a chuck and probably last light into darkness would be best.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts