World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been doing some night fishing tonight, this is only my second time sea fishing , I started at about 9pm and as expected caught sod all!

But at about 12.15 just before I was considering packing it in for the night I felt a slight tug on the line, not sure if it was a crab or a fish I waited a few seconds and decided to strike, well it was definitely a fish! Whatever it was it was shaking like mad and pulling quite hard, I began to reel it in and it suddenly felt like I was trying to reel in a pallet of bricks, its like it just stopped, so not knowing what the hell to do I gave it some line (not to sure if this was a good idea or not?) and it shot straight for the harbour wall to the right of me.

I began to reel in again and nothing came, So I thought I must be stuck on something, I tried to persuade it to come but it wouldn’t, then for some reason I could reel in a little, but again it felt like I was reeling in a pallet of bricks, as the line started to come towards me I saw to my amazement that there was a damn fish on the end!!, I honestly thought that I had lost whatever it was and had just snagged a lump of seaweed.

As it came up to the surface it seemed to hang there, not putting up any fight at all, like it was playing dead :confused: , but the weight on it was unreal, I honestly thought my rod was going to snap, I managed to get it out of the water slightly and to me it looked really long and dark (some kind of eel maybe?), I couldn’t get a good view of it as it was pitch black and I was more concerned with landing the thing!.

I got it a few more inches, then SPLASH!, I lost it, it fell back and all I was left with was a lump of seaweed with someone else’s old trace wrapped around it. :mad:

Well its been an eventful night, so my questions are as follows

1) What the hell was it??!! :eek:
2) Should I have let it run?
3) Is there anything I could have done differently.

·
Registered
7,885 Posts
A conger, and maybe quite a big one too!

Congers tend to fight by "backing off" so what you describe is pretty accurate. Hook one over double figures in deepish water and it'll put a good bend in your rod. I used to get a few on the big ferry breakwater at Fishguard when it was open to anglers and used to fish off a slipway up near the end over high water so that I could beach them without too much hassle. Used one of the old Daiwa Paul Kerry Supercast rods - a heavy rod - and that used to be given some stick by fish in the 12-15lb bracket!

Cheers - John

·
Registered
636 Posts
Hi there...

By the sounds of it you did all the hard work allready! Alot of anglers will never get thier fish to the surface, they can be damned infuriating at times! They will hank you around anything, and usualy not let go!Give them an inch and its as though they superglue themselves to the seabed LOL

The way it took aswell, just gentle tap tap tapping, definetly a conger... Very unlucky it spat it after you had done well to get it on the surface... Next time! :cool:

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
if i were you mate i would go back with 1/2 a mackerel and a 6/0 hook, try and get hold of hooks called "meat hooks" these are very big strong hooks and u'll have a better chance of landing it with one of them.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replies guys! :)

Now I know it was more than likely a conger im even more gutted :( , would have been nice for my first catch to have been a conger!

I will follow your advice codfather 2, and on Friday will get some size 6/0 hooks and a few mackerel, now I know why some anglers only target certain species!

I still cant believe how heavy it was! Thanks again guys.

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
1, if u seen it and it was how u described it was definitely a conger.2.if when u gave it some line u mean u gave it slack, i wouldnt have done that, i set my drag,so u can always feel him on there, and u have more chance of the hook setting home.3. if u want to keep a big conger always carry a gaff. he,s got no chance of dissapearing once you have that in him m8.but u did land him, and u didnt know what to do with him, perhaps a little panic set in,heehee. but as birdy says watch their damn teeth?

·
Registered
4,872 Posts
Yes I agree, you did all the hard work! Come to think of it, you would have let it go anyway. (when the 'shark' lot fish for their big stuff they are rarely boated (shored?) but released prettty smartish.) As someone has already said the real trouble with conger really starts when you try to deal with them on-shore! Your description of little bites and the 'backing-off' (tightening - snagged feeling) suggests the big eel alright. Once you can bully them away from their lairs and get their tail out of the anchoring hole then you've got a chance at least! Better luck next time, and as someone has said, next time go for them DELIBERATELY and, like in a tug-of-war, start pulling when, or just before they do, and don't give them an inch 'til they're ALL OUT OF THE WATER!!!!

Mind you there may well be someone else who fished the same spot sometime before you who has been telling his mates how he hooked something big which eventually broke him! You may have inadvertantly snagged his line and done the hard work for him!!!

NO, ...... YOU CAUGHT (and released!) YOUR FIRST CONGER - WELL DONE!

·
King of Kings
16,043 Posts
hi fishy sounds like a conger,best 4 u that it was releace,a little bit of paysion goes a long way,well done.shaggy

·
Registered
205 Posts
yes ian their teeth are that BAD.
i've heard of them biting through wellies and taking peoples toes off.
i think poacher has been bitten by 1.

my first conger was 11.5 pnd, but i was lucky, i had some1 with me who had handled them b4, so he did all the unhooking..
i took it home to eat ,but it smells and tastes awfull so
the ones i have caught since have never come out of the water,i allways cut the line (close to the hook ) as soon as i can reach it..

·
Registered
636 Posts
Handling congers out of water isnt too hard, as long as your prepared with the follwong... 100lb leader (at least) this way you can hold them up whilstt here hooked and pull them about...Saves you having to wrestle them on the deck. You should use a totaly de barbed hook.... Keep tension on the line then with pliers (and gloves) grip[ the hook and reverse it!

Heres a pic of my PB Conger caught 2 weeks ago from the shore, it wieghed 20lb 8oz and to say i was slightly chuffed was an understatement... Heres the strange part, i was fishing in 3 foot of water in broad daylight, i could actualy see my bait!!

Doubt il ever get lucky tio get an eel of this size out again. There are far bigger ones lost!

Shaun

·
The Oracle
8,208 Posts
SpurHound said:
Handling congers out of water isnt too hard, as long as your prepared with the follwong... 100lb leader (at least) this way you can hold them up whilstt here hooked and pull them about...Saves you having to wrestle them on the deck. You should use a totaly de barbed hook.... Keep tension on the line then with pliers (and gloves) grip[ the hook and reverse it!

Oh so does this mean you'll be unhooking your own congers from now on ;) :D :D

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I have been down to look at the place I caught the conger, It was low tide when I went down, and to be honest it not half as rocky as I thought it would be, and it looks like the jetty doesn’t always have water around it.

I thought that congers like to live in the holes in the side of walls and piers?? There are a few parts which do still have water around at low tide, but not by the place I caught the conger.

Do they often hunt away from they’re homes? Could it be likely that it was further out to sea and came into the harbour to feed??

Thanks

1 - 15 of 15 Posts