World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First apology is that it's late due to being in France last week and secondly 'cus it's a bit of a mix of LRF, light game and bait fishing. Anyway, had a lads' weekend down in North Devon (thankfully before Storm Brian). They are meant to be surfing weekends, but as we all get older, it seems more and more difficult to get in the water! Fishing has turned into a good group alternative, so I now always throw in a selection of gear, the only downside being that I am a glorified ghillie for the others half the time. Early Saturday morning I headed to up to Ifracombe for low tide. Had just set up on the lower deck of the pier when I was told the Lundy ferry was coming 'round to load up and ended up being pushed right to the end past the stpes. There was quite a bit of movement here with the swell and, after losing a couple of dropshot rigs to snags down the side, I soon worked out that by casting a bit further out and letting the rig bounce around just off the bottom it would get hammered by the pollack and sand smelts.

WP_20171015_08_25_44_Pro[1].jpg

WP_20171014_08_55_04_Pro[1].jpg

The others had arrived by now, so I was having to bait up rigs (scaled down two hook flappers baited with bits of ragworm for the "children") and unhook fish every five minutes, but still managed a nice male corkwing and a ballan wrasse on the dropshot and angle worm.

WP_20171014_09_06_53_Pro[1].jpg

WP_20171015_10_30_43_Pro[1].jpg

Once the ferry left we moved and spread out along the lower deck. The lads were catching mostly small pollack - the place was snided with them - but one of them did get a small whiting by casting further out.

WP_20171014_10_28_42_Pro[1].jpg

Spotted a solitary garfish on the surface, but half an hour casting metals around proved fruitless. Back on the dropshot, I did manage to add a poor cod and a shanny to the species list before the rising tide started breaching the deck. Two chaps had also turned up on the upper deck and had started casting parallel to the lower deck and right in front of us. We had obviously missed some subtle, local etiquette because when we inevitably snagged one of their lines, it was us who had to apologise. Left them to it!

WP_20171014_10_21_36_Pro[1].jpg

WP_20171015_08_28_58_Pro[1].jpg

Next day it was just me as the others went of to play golf (more surfing avoidance). By contrast to the day before, the pier was completely deserted, so set up on the lower deck again. Hadn't been there long when a white van reversed down and parked at the end of the pier. Chap got out and then proceeded to dump several buckets of dead fish into the water and then left. Didn't say a word to me even though I was stood about 10 metres away. All a bit odd. Anyway, the tide was still ebbing past the pilings and again this seemed to be ideal for the pollack and sand smelts and for a good hour it was a fish a chuck. Added some more wrasse and shannies as the tide slackened off, before catching a grumpy tompot blenny.

WP_20161008_15_03_48_Pro[1].jpg

Started getting some rattly bites, so in the hope that it was one of the "oddities" that have been coming out recently, such as clingfish, I tied on a scaled down two hook flapper with size 18 hooks baited with scraps of rag. However, just had the inevitable rock goby!

WP_20171015_10_40_50_Pro[1].jpg

Bites dried up after this and the pier was getting busy with the sunday crowd. Don't know when the next trip to the coast will be, but an LRF-caught flattie before Christmas would be nice - tight lines!

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Good stuff. I'm in Ilfracombe at the moment. Didn't realise that the kids are off down here though so it's become a base whilst to fish elsewhere. Mevagissey yesterday, Plymouth today, Falmouth tomorrow, Swanage on Mon before heading back up the road. Done a few miles! I'll need to come back when the kids are at school. Crab net totting little brats. :mad:

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Good stuff. I'm in Ilfracombe at the moment. Didn't realise that the kids are off down here though so it's become a base whilst to fish elsewhere. Mevagissey yesterday, Plymouth today, Falmouth tomorrow, Swanage on Mon before heading back up the road. Done a few miles! I'll need to come back when the kids are at school. Crab net totting little brats. :mad:
Ha! Will look forward to your report and blog as always, Scott. Hope you get the clingfish you were after :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts