World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last night I reaped my just deserts for taking the p1ss out of the enigma that is Shirleycodlin’.

I’d originally planned to go tonight, but child minding duties got in the way and last night it had to be. Highly annoying as looking out of my window it’s a beautiful day, and last night was, ermmmmmmm – not !

Getthenet had pinged me earlier in the week, and we met up in the car park around 18:30. It was clear things were going to be a bit challenging, with a stiff onshore breeze and sleet in the air. As the night went on it warmed up a bit, but the rain became persistent. In fact, it would be fair to say that it persitented down all night !

GTN was into sea rats from the off. I probably was as well, but since I’d started with a livebait rig and a huge squid bait I left them to fester for a while. As the tide rose, the vermin hoards became voracious. Most baits came back untouched except for the sea rat hanging off the hook, and some went quite a good size.

About halfway through the flood GTN had something a bit better

Fish Bass Outerwear Recreation Gesture

And we were off the mark codling-wise.

And unfortunately that’s also where we stayed ! The whiting simply didn’t give us a chance to get to anything else. Mind you, it’s better than not catching anything and we both enjoyed it in a perverse sort of way. The crabs were pretty active as well – one of my livebaits came in whole on one side, but largely missing the other – not so alive then.

The turn of the tide saw no improvement in the weather, so GTN called it a night with five or six nice whiting in his bucket. I stayed on, and within half an hour or so the weed became manic. I changed from the livebait rig to another squid rig, as it seemed that I’d only ever got two rods in the water – the rest of the time was spent picking pounds of weed off the line. The whiting were however getting larger, and I ended the night with half a dozen “good” fish for the pot.

No Codling for me again, so please, oh yellow peril of bucket mouthed gladys, can you put a good word in for me with the cod gods ? I promise I wont suggest banishment to the slightly dubious pages of C&P ever again !

Until the next time.

·
The Cod Obsessed one.
15,553 Posts
Unlucky Ray,

May you allow me to suggest something?

RE the live bait rig, fish it as a normal rod, ie 10 to 15 minute retrives.

If as you say one of your sea rats was crabbed, its a dead bait, not a live bait.

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Unlucky Ray,

May you allow me to suggest something?

RE the live bait rig, fish it as a normal rod, ie 10 to 15 minute retrives.

If as you say one of your sea rats was crabbed, its a dead bait, not a live bait.
Cheers Shirl, but leaving it out a while is actually intentional - a year on I'm still getting twinges in that elbow and I don't want to be out-of-action through RWE ( Repetitive Whiting Extraction ). Only one fish got crabbed - the others were removed and released.

I've not heard of anybody catching on a livebait up this way, but if we don't try we won't know so I'll persevere for a while - but only when I can use the third rod.

Great effort mate, love your reports, sure it will come your way soon, i , like you, am codless from the shore but hope to put that right this weekend
Yep -had a dire couple of seasons Mr Chaser, but that's the way it goes sometimes. The three or four before were some of the most productive I can remember in very many years fishing this coast. Best of luck for the weekend. I'm thinking about a truly daft session on Friday, but am currently trying to psych myself up for it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.