World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Moved up from a 12ft to 20ft boat and was reading a post that mentioned retriving the anchor using an LAZY LINE could someone explain this. The alderney ring I have heard about but not a lazy line and which is better

·
Registered
303 Posts
Personally I would go for the alderney ring, the boats inpetus through the water brings the anchor up fo you so it sits under the bouy and all you do is pull it to the boat, Boat Fishing Monthly did a very good article about it I'll try and dig it out for you they had both methods in it give me a while to try and find it.

·
Registered
438 Posts
i use a lasy line you use a line from the bow of the boat around the cabin on to the deck you let your anckor out from the side of boat when you aff left enouth out you tie a loop and then tie your lasy line to ittheboat will then be anckored from the bow to pull back in motor up and have mate to pull rope back in to a box

·
Registered
12,181 Posts
Taff I use that method as well, & I thought that was called the "Alderney Ring" if its not, what is the "Alderney Ring"? is it a kind of marine crop circle? Just when you think you have it all sussed out, somebody pulls your plug!
blueskip

·
Registered
5,557 Posts
Lazy line is a length of line fixed to the winching eye and reaching back to the deck arond the outside of the boat. Importantly not long enough to reach the engine in case it is dropped overboard. It is fitted with a stainless spring clip and a small in line float in case it is dropped overboard, makes recovery easy. The anchor is set from the deck and once enough line is out you put a loop in it and snap the spring clip into the loop. On recovery you pull the anchor rope in over the side of the boat whilst your mate motors up on the anchor. It saves you going on to the bow to haul an anchor.

The alderney ring is a 4 inch diameter ring suspended under a large buoy. The anchor rope is free to run through the ring. When it is time to move the boat is motored away from the bouy and the water pressure against the buoy trips and hauls the anchor. The anchor finishes up suspended below the buoy and is pulled aboard whilst the boat drifts. Really simple way of getting th anchor back on board without any backbreaking work.

BUT it is extreemly dangerous if done wrong, the description is deliberately vauge above of the technique as I feel the only way to learn it is to be shown. If it is done wrong the anchor warp can tangle the prop and you are anchored stern to. Boat have been sunk using this technique so please get someone to show you how to do it safely.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Quite agree with chrisp on the alderney ring,a couple of trips with a charter skipper or fellow small boat angler who uses this method and would be willing to explain what he is doing might be an idea worth more than just a thought.

·
Registered
12,181 Posts
I use both, I was confused about which was which, I had trouble getting the anchor to lift initially, perhaps the bouy was too small or something, what I did was to attach the snap-clip to the bouy with about 6ft of rope, this seemed to increase the drag on the bouy & it works ok now.
I found that leaving it attached to the anchor warp ended up with it bumping against the bow all the time, that got right up my nose that did!
blueskip

·
Registered
5,557 Posts
If you use an inline buoy on the lazy line that will not pass through the Alderney ring it stops the lifting buoy bumping the boat.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts