World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7,780 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had a look at a Mates boat this morning, he will use it Mainly in Portland Harbour.
The only Problem i could see was the Anchor rope length, It looks like he only has 30ft Max! I do not know a lot about Boats but i reckon he could get in a bit of grief if he uses too short a rope?
Any ideas?

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
Had a look at a Mates boat this morning, he will use it Mainly in Portland Harbour.
The only Problem i could see was the Anchor rope length, It looks like he only has 30ft Max! I do not know a lot about Boats but i reckon he could get in a bit of grief if he uses too short a rope?
Any ideas?
Hi Ian.
Ropes way too short mate, i think i'm right in saying it needs to be at least 3 x the water depth, so he has enough for about 10' of water :)
I do know from my little bit of boating experience, that not letting enough rope out, the anchor won't grip and you'll just drift as though you're not anchored.

Quote from the book "Angling Boats" - "Anchor rope needs to be sufficient strength and thickness to hold the boat in rough weather and of sufficient length so that you can let the anchor rope a length of at least 3 times and preferably five times the depth of water you are in. In very deep water, you will not need so much rope because the much higher force of tide on the full length of rope will make the anchor dig in more rather than less."

Tell you're mate to buy the above book Ian, it's a very good information source to have at hand and only about 12 quid from Amazon.

AL ..

G

·
Nice man wrote that book too! Isn't that right Salar?

By the sounds of it, your mate has the sort of anchoring kit fitted to a typical cruiser.

As an example, we sell three distinct kits and then there are variations depending on what rope the customer wants, size of boat etc.

1) Our Standard anchoring kit will have around 15m of chain and about the same of rope (there is an exact, but each model boat is different).
This kit is for your everyday cruiser that is likely to anchor in a nice bay for a picnic.
If the boat has a windlass, then the chain must be calibrated (and calibrated tro suit that windlass!).

2) A standard fishermans anchoring kit will include the same anchor and chain, but have a full reel of 110m of suitable rope.

3) An offshore fishermans anchoring kit will have a 220m length of suitable rope.

You could have more if you really wished, but in honesty it then becomes something of a ahndful on the storage front and isn't really necessary except for the very extremes of locations.

Ultimately it is down to me to question and subsequently advise my customer on their specific needs and your mate should have been advised the same, but it seems that the dealer missed this out.

Never mind, very easy to splice on a 110m length to what he has.

Tom

G

·
Ian, from what little experience I had of Portland Harbour the water depth is in the region of around 100ft so he will need a fair bit more than 30 ft. More like 10 times that amount, although there is not too much tide in there so he could get away with twice the depth.

G

·
...A bit off topic, but just a thought....

What is he going for in Portland Harbour?....

Not a lot there unless he knows and has access to where the Giltheads hang out.... Hmmmmmmm

G

·
I was actually being a bit suggestive and seeing if Ian knew exactly where the Giltheads hang out.
I know he has a lot of knowledge around Portland and I was hinting at a tip off.

There are Bass, Flatties, Mullet, Pollack in the harbour, but not in any real major concentrations... Just outside the harbour is a different matter.

G

·
...Not exactly what I meant Worzel.

I know that Ian knows his stuff around the island so I was half hinting at a tip.
There are fish in Portland Harbour and those with good local knowledge I am sure would have a good day on Bass and Mullet, but for consistency at the fishing I would head out past the hood (once you are comfortable).

The harbour is a great place to learn to boat. Avoid an Easterly wind there, but anything else will see you with a reasonable depth of water anywhere over towards the walls. Launching and people laughing? Don't worry about it. Everyone has cocked it up before, I still do nearly everyday.
Driving a boat is like driving a car only you have no brakes, no grip on your tyres (erm, no tyres) and the road moves. OH and it steers from the back!

·
Registered
7,780 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
portland no good then thats where i was going to take it, not used to taking a boat out so wanted to get used to launching, with out every one laughing :boat:
No one would laugh at you mate, I actually stopped laughing when you mentioned Portland! Honestly Andy, DO NOT DO IT! stick to the Harbour and remember what Tom said about Easterlies. Try Ringstead Bay on a very calm day but remember the reef, Swanage Bay (within the confines) would be good for you mate after you have got used to handling the boat, That is good for Ray/Bream (so i hear)
but please do not leave portland Harbour in your boat mate, there are bigger boats than your that would not handle it and i reckon the currents there could actually be faster than your engine could take you!
It is a nice little boat though mate!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts