·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi all,

I have a 9kg plough anchor for my predator 160 and have a few questions:

1. What size of chain will i require?
2. What length of chain?
3. Size of buoy to lift the anchor and chain?
4. would i need 10mm or 12mm rope?

many thanks for your help

andrew

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
Hi Andy

1/ I would suggest 6mm is fine
2/ Minimum the length of boat so about 16ft
3/ Approx 50" buoy to lift approx 18kg of anchor and chain
4/ You can get away with 10mm but 12mm is easier to grip on the hands.

The important thing to remember is that the weight of the chain should exceed the weight of the anchor to stop it sliding back down once it has been lifted.

Dave
:clap3:

T

·
0 Posts
Hi Andrew

That is also a very large anchor for your boat.

All of Dave's suggestions are spot on.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
dave,

Thanks for your info, one question, if i need heavier than my anchor which is 9kg then i have two options
1. longer length of 6mm chain
2. shorter length of 8mm chain..

which is better? i calculate that if my anchor is say 9kg then i might need 11kg of chain (is that about right)?
so that gives me

6mm @ 0.8kg /m = approx 13 or 14m of chain

8mm @ 1.35kg / m = approx 8 m of chain

which is better? will a 50" buoy still be ok with 20kg of weight??

Tom,

It was just a anchor i had given to me....so thought i'd use it! :)

T

·
0 Posts
Andy, no worries mate, but that would hold a boat well over 20 feet and 2 tonnes plus.

To give yourself an easy life I would purchase a 6Kg anchor (ask the guys what style they like for a 16 footer and on your type of seabed..?).

Either chain will work fine. The more chain you have the less warp will be needed to go out in any given depth. The downside is that too much chain weighs a hell of a lot and becomes cumbersome.

I would use a minimum 1.5 boat lengths though.

·
Registered
769 Posts
Given that the anchor is so far above what's needed in terms of weight, adding an even heavier length of chain is going to really make things awkward to handle. Try putting a catch stop on the chain aft of the anchor shaft. Just a thin metal rod whipped onto the chain (cable ties?) then bent outwards slightly at the anchor side. It will let the anchor ring pass over easily enough but when the anchor tries to drop back down to the bottom the rod catches the anchor ring and stops it.
You still want at least a boat length in 6mm chain though....

Steve

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
hi guys,

Decided i am going to replace the 9kg plough with a lighter one! :)

Would a 5kg plough be ok??
dont have to be a plough but i want a cheap one.... :)

C

·
0 Posts
Get a Bruce type anchor. They are one of the cheapest as well as being a good general purpose anchor. I would guess that 5kg will be fine. I use a 7kg on my Pilothouse 640 which is bigger and a fair bit heavier than your boat and I rarely have any anchoring problems.
With the lighter anchor you obviously will not need so much weight of chain, which can be a real pain if you need to get it in quickly.
The Bruce anchors are also a doddle to set up to trip in the event of a snag.

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
Andy

I am often in 100ft+ in the West Solent, Poole area and 5kg does not have any problems on my 165, if you feel better going bigger I would suggest the max you need to go is 7.5kg. The chain makes the most differance to getting a good grip on the anchor. Make sure you have at least the boats length of chain if not longer but should weigh more than the anchor itself.

Hope this helps

Dave S
:)

T

·
0 Posts
Andy

Instead of worrying about extra rope or a heavier anchor simply add a few metres of extra chain.

The anchor is just a very small part in the whole process of anchoring.
As important is the chain as this will allow the anchor to actually take hold without actually pulling very hard in the tide (sounds daft, but promise it makes sense).

Perhaps a little extreme, but ask Davy Holt about his set-up.
He anchors in 600 feet of water with only about 200m of rope!
It is down to the amount of chain he uses.

Just jiggle his numbes around a little to suit your boat and where you fish and you'll have no worries.
5Kg should be fine in any conditions and any seabed, assuming you run a little extra chain (maybe 1.5 to 2 boat lengths?)

Tom

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
i found the 5kg slipped when windy so went up to 7.5kg with 30 foot of chain. no problems and we work 100-165m all the time. generally have approx 190m of rope out in 160m depth.
i have tried the 5kg and ended up with slipping, 10kg very rarely slips but boy was it a handful for a small boat.

could you borrow an anchor to try. i have a spare so i would imagine would most small boaters.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts