World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Theres Been A Few Post, Regaurding Anchoring,lazy Lines,alderney Ring Anka Yankas Etc Etc Etc, Being A Boat Owner For Only A Couple Of Years, And Hardly Getting Out Due To Weather/ And Work, I Find It Bit Mind Boggling,and A Bit Scarey, Using All This Methods, Or Just Not Having The Bo****cks To Put It In To Pratice

Surely There Must Be A Video/ Dvd Out There Somewhere That Shows This,as To Drawings, Its Like M F I Furniture To Me , You Keep Looking At Them And It Wont Sink In . If Some One Could Put This On To Film I Reckon It Would Be An Earner, Not Just Anchoring, But All Aspects Involved In Boat Fishing, Gps , Chartplotters, Charts, Compasses, So On

I Know Theres Courses, Day Skipper, Vhf Dsc , Which I Done, But If You Dont Go Out Regular, Which I Think Theres Quite A Few Of Us You Forget Things, Its Alright Reading Mags And Books Refreshing The Old Brain, But I Think If You Was To See It On The Telly, You Could Watch It Over And Over So It Sinks In, Or Someone To Start A Course Up,i Think Boat Owners Old And New, And Only Go Out A Few Times Would Welcome This With Open Arms , How To Do Things The Correct Way

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
The Alderny method is really complicated to explain yet dead easy to understand once seen in action.
Down here in Dorset we have a wonderfull club (Poole Bay Small Boat Angling Club) We regularly arrange teach- ins where the more experienced members take out the less experienced for an hour of so of practice in anchoring methods and man overboard recovery. Now I am not telling you this to blow our own trumpet but to sugest that any members of other clubs where ever they are adopt the same strategy. It is a brilliant way to attract new membership and also gives you the nice feeling of putting something back into the sport.

In your case sea monkey (or can I just call you C for short) I would look around for a boat fishing club in your area as there is so much to be gained by joining a club. I seem to remember that there are several guys here that come from Kent and maybe one will take pity and offer to buddy boat you so you can practice with an instructor near by.

If you are going to try on your own try it in a shallow (5 or 6 meters) area on a calm day.

Afishionado

G

·
Where in Kent do you fish from Sea Monkey? As Afishionado says it is easier to watch someone do it for real, I go out from Rye or Newhaven and you are welcome to buddy up with my boat sometime and see how I do it.

G

·
Great advice from the guys above.
The only commetn I would say is with regards Afishionado's suggestion about shallow water.
I agree about shallow, but would say shallowish.
Try it in a depth that is a few metres deeper than the amount of chain you have on your anchoring kit.
In addition let out slightly more warp than you would normally and you will allow it to stream out behind and to the side of you when driving out the anchor. If the length of warp is too short it has a chance of sliping under the boat.

Take Terry up on his offer of a run out fro Rye. You'll learn stacks from him.

G

·
thanks for replys
will send cascars a pm
Your idea of seeing it done on video is worth thinking about. Maybe I will take a video camera out in the summer and make some short clips on the most common tasks such as this. If I do it, maybe Mike will be able to put them somewhere on the site.

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
Your idea of seeing it done on video is worth thinking about. Maybe I will take a video camera out in the summer and make some short clips on the most common tasks such as this. If I do it, maybe Mike will be able to put them somewhere on the site.

Oh I can see it now ... Cascars does Alderny followed by Deep Boat.

Afishionado

·
Registered
94 Posts
Hi Cascars,

I would definately be interested in seeing the anchor yanka alderney ring method.
I'm sure it would help a lot of others out as well.

Mike

G

·
I will have a word with Jim Whippy (BFM Consultant Editor) and see if it would be something he could get involved in professionally. It could be a good giveaway with the mag.

·
In A World Of His Own
2,954 Posts
hi im all for a video or dvd on thatt hat subject im sure it would be useful to many a novice and new boater cheers andy

G

·
I will have a word with Jim Whippy (BFM Consultant Editor) and see if it would be something he could get involved in professionally. It could be a good giveaway with the mag.
I spoke to him this morning and he is quite interested. We will speak in more detail on my Newhaven Charter trip next month.

·
Registered
2,919 Posts
Theres Been A Few Post, Regaurding Anchoring,lazy Lines,alderney Ring Anka Yankas Etc Etc Etc, Being A Boat Owner For Only A Couple Of Years, And Hardly Getting Out Due To Weather/ And Work, I Find It Bit Mind Boggling,and A Bit Scarey, Using All This Methods, Or Just Not Having The Bo****cks To Put It In To Pratice

Surely There Must Be A Video/ Dvd Out There Somewhere That Shows This,as To Drawings, Its Like M F I Furniture To Me , You Keep Looking At Them And It Wont Sink In . If Some One Could Put This On To Film I Reckon It Would Be An Earner, Not Just Anchoring, But All Aspects Involved In Boat Fishing, Gps , Chartplotters, Charts, Compasses, So On

I Know Theres Courses, Day Skipper, Vhf Dsc , Which I Done, But If You Dont Go Out Regular, Which I Think Theres Quite A Few Of Us You Forget Things, Its Alright Reading Mags And Books Refreshing The Old Brain, But I Think If You Was To See It On The Telly, You Could Watch It Over And Over So It Sinks In, Or Someone To Start A Course Up,i Think Boat Owners Old And New, And Only Go Out A Few Times Would Welcome This With Open Arms , How To Do Things The Correct Way
I am a member of the Varne Boat Club, we will teach you if you join - we are in kent. www.varneboatclub.co.uk/

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
there must be someone out there, who can put video on to dvd, and make a few copies, the tiddly- winks , who come round where i work are always flogging them, cascars if you read this maybe get together, and produce one £££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££ rex hunt eat your heart out and stop kissing those fish W. S .F F. adventures are here and we dont tongue fish the sea monkey

1 - 13 of 13 Posts