World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3,871 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive caught an Undulate Ray! Was out today aboard Rob Hickin's Sea Juicer out of Portsmouth Harbour. Headed out early this morning to catch the ebb tide, fishing bluey and mackerel baits in the hopes of Blonde Rays and Spurdogs. After a 1h30 steam we had dropped the anchor and started fishing, the first bite coming almost instantly and turning out to be the inevitable dogfish. But before it had even surfaced, Ray no 1 for the day was on, and was shortly landed, a nice blonde in the 12-14lb region (didnt weigh it as Ive had bigger). Soon a steady flow of decent sized blonde rays came to the boat, including numbers 2 and 3 for me, both slightly larger at 16.5lb and 17lb. The fish were really on the feed now, and in between the rays the doggies were keeping us occupied. I decided on a change from bluey to squid as I was starting to run lo of the former, this quickly resulted in a very jerky bite, leading to my first smoothound of the year at around 6lb. As the tide started to ease bites started to drop away, until i had a very violent take, which after a bit of work as id picked up 2 other lines as well my first ever Undulate Ray was on the deck! At 12lb it was no monster but I was not complaining, especially as id lost a very good fish about 10 mins earlier when my leader knot had parted :(

We decided to reposition for the flood, but only after boating 20 rays up to 20lb, loads of dogs, a few hounds and some 1lb+ whiting. The flood tide took an age to start, but a couple of smaller blonde rays, including number 4 for me, around the 6-8lb mark came up. This bank was a bit rougher than the first, and produced less fish, but it did produce Blonde's number 5 and 6 for me, at 18lb and 26lb, as well as my second Undulate at 14lb, so a another new pb :) We also had the most bizarre incident when one of the other guys on board started to reel in to rebait, and his rod just arched over. After a fight of a good 20 minutes, some colour appeared and it looked like a really big ray. However as the fish got to the surface, it turned out he'd managed to catch 2 undulate rays of 14lb and 19lb on the same line, at the same time, without actually hooking them. He had lassoed the female round her tail, and pulled the male up with her as they were mating! It was an amazing and quite bizarre sight I doubt I will get to see again

So in total we landed 28 rays, including 8 for me, a few hounds, plenty of dogs and a few whiting. Was a fantastic day out in lovely weather, with some cracking fish and 2 pb's.....days dont get much better in my book :)

Tight lines all

Jim

Attachments

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
Looks like a great day,well done on the rays great looking fish

G

·
I am very jealous. After around 45 years of boat fishing I have still never caught a Blonde or an Undulate. I am determined that I will get both this year:dry:

·
Registered
3,871 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks chaps was a super day out :)

Jim

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
well done on the undulates and a great day for blondes too

·
Registered
143 Posts
Top angler top fish well done mate awesome :) just a little ray will do me please help lol

·
Registered
3,871 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Top angler top fish well done mate awesome :) just a little ray will do me please help lol
Cheers bud :) We'll get you one dont you worry....although a trip to Wales might be in order.....

·
Registered
3,871 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
great fish, and well done on the undulate and pb's
and thanks, you've helped me persuade my dad that fishing is good in april as he would be reluctant to take me out cause the thought the fishing was bad, lol
thanks
conor

·
Registered
3,871 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
great fish, and well done on the undulate and pb's
and thanks, you've helped me persuade my dad that fishing is good in april as he would be reluctant to take me out cause the thought the fishing was bad, lol
thanks
conor
Thanks bud

Yep the fishing this time of year if you can get out to the banks can be very good. Good luck

Jim

1 - 16 of 16 Posts