World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Too cold? Pah! Northerlies, frosty mornings, winter bird species in place? So what.
The bass are still there, and still feeding actively.
I've just had my best session of what's already been a great season, condensed into a 2-hour window stolen from work, in the watery Dorset sunshine this afternoon. On November 23rd, FFS.
Eight fish, not one of them undersized, the smallest 48cm, the average around 55cm, the largest ...
... 70cm. You beauty. The BASS conversion chart gives me 8lb 8oz for that - I'd beg a few ounces more as she was very heavy around the middle and probably spawn-bound.
That's my best of the year from the shore. Not quite as big as the 72cm one I took a year ago this week, but still a beautiful autumn fish to illuminate a beautiful autumn day.
She wanted it: hit the Minnow three times before hooking up and marched me all over the place before coming to the net. That's my light Skyroad, the 7-23g action one, and it creaked a bit during the discussions.
The good thing is she's back out there, hopefully a bit wiser but still feeding hard to pack on the weight ahead of the spawning cycle.
I kept one of the 50-somethings for dinner. They're full of fry. Mullet and ... yes, bass fry. Lots of baby bass.
I also took a flounder of around 2lb on the Minnow. It's becoming quite a regular thing on the lure now ... that's my 3rd flattie over 2lb on a plastic in the past couple of years.
But it's all about the bass ... still the bass, thankfully.

Food Fin Marine biology Fish Fishing

Registered
Great fishing!!!. I had a 9ft sky road light, lovely rod. Landed a 76cm fish on it one december and the next fish I caught was a 20cm schoolie the following march, which saw me snap the tip by swinging it in.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Curious to note in the picture how diminished the lower lobe of the tail fin is on the bigger fish. It doesn't look damaged as such, more either worn away or possibly a genetic defect.
Compare and contrast the tail of the biggest one with that of one of the 50-somethings ...
Light Fin Fishing lure Fish Fishing bait

I wonder if the older fish suffer tail erosion as they age, maybe as they fin while holding close to the bottom (... a bit like the fish equivalent of hair loss?!)
It's something I hope to be able to explore and research in coming years!

Registered
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Lovely fat fish looks every bit of 8lb+
I believe the politically correct term is 'big-boned'. Or possibly BBF (big beautiful fish).
And I'm sure the time will come when legislation will be enacted whereby we aren't allowed to refer to the weight of fish on a public forum.
Heaven forbid that anyone should make a comment such as 'She's a tubby little thing, isn't she?' ...

Registered
Great report of a special session, well done on the big old girl that I will call well proportioned to aid political correctness

Reactions: marktheshark

Registered
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I'll just keep tinkering with updates on this, out of curiosity and as a record of how long I can keep bothering our finny friends. So - blank on Nov 3, but I went back to the harbour today - Dec 2 ... Hi Mark333!!!
Bright sunshine but a bone-chilling NW wind made it less than comfortable. The cold and recent frosts must surely have whacked things on the head - but no, third cast I had a pull on a plastic.
The taker was a 51cm schoolie with a distended belly that crunched like a bag of marbles; and sure enough, it obligingly coughed up a green crab the size of a 50p piece, so it a) must have been stuffing its face on crabs; and b) the water is still warm enough for the bass to feed actively.
No long after, I had a much heavier take and after a bit of a tussle trying to keep it out of the current, which was now in full stream, I managed to net a 63cm beauty. No pics this time - I left my phone in the car - but the BASS chart gives it around 6lb. This fish was unusual in that it was missing its entire left pectoral fin. There was no stub or scar - it just looked like it had been forgotten during assembly. A bit odd. The right fin was there and normal.
So - 2 decent fish in about 30min. Oh yes ... I know why I had to nip out ... to buy a bottle of local gin crafted from unicorn tears for the wife's birthday. That was less easy than catching a bass on a cold and frosty winter's day and took a lot longer. I had to drive all the way over to Westbourne and endure the traffic shambles that is Bournemouth-Christchurch-Poole (motto: 'We know there's alternatives to the 'orse-and-caart - we just don't see why you need to use them') in the end.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts