World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After last Thursday鈥檚 successful session, my confidence was high for more of the same this week 馃槉. Once again the weather was the deciding factor in my choice of nights to fish, and the first of these nights was Wednesday. The venue chosen was the one where I did well a few weeks ago, but which seems to have gone off the boil recently. With high tide at around 11:30 though and the forecast of offshore winds, I decided that it was worth another go.

I arrived an hour after low to find perfect conditions, but with one fly in the ointment in the form of a great big and bright full moon. To begin with its light was subdued by a layer of low cloud on the horizon, but as it rose higher in the sky its full glare hit the water 馃槑.

Now I鈥檓 not a fan of fishing under a full moon and it seemed that the bass agreed with me, as the next 4 hours passed by with no signs of life whatsoever. Eventually, as high water passed and the current eased to nothing, I called it a night on yet another blank 馃槶.

24 hours later and for my second session of the week, I headed back to the mark I tried to fish the previous Thursday. The place was overrun with cockle pickers on that occasion but I hoped that was a one off, and that I would have the place to myself this time. As it happened, the pickers were still hammering the place but with low tide having passed, the majority were just leaving as I arrived and I passed a dozen or so cars and vans on the lane to the coast. The remaining stragglers left as I was getting suited and booted, and by the time I was ready to start fishing, I was completely alone.

The forecast was for another dry evening, but with more cloud cover than on Wednesday, so I hoped this would cover the moon and encourage the bass to feed 馃. As I waded out into the dark, calm waters I was feeling very confident and even when it started raining, once again with no mention whatsoever of it in the forecast 馃槨, I wasn鈥檛 put off.

As usual, the first lure out of the box was the mighty Mishna 馃槃 and I cast it diagonally uptide before allowing it to drift around in an arc. The current was running perfectly for this type of fishing, not to fast or slow, and minutes later I got off to a dream start, when after only half a dozen casts or so my lure was stopped dead in its tracks before ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ a bass set off across the flow! 馃槷 Judging by its initial run, this seemed like something half decent but just like last week the fight was over quicker than I expected. At 46cm though, it was still a nice fish and I was happy to get off the mark so quickly 馃コ.
Water Underwater Fish Marine biology Fin

After a quick pic, followed by an adjustment of my drag 馃槄, I got straight back into the game, hoping for more of the same.

Sadly it wasn鈥檛 to be and soon after this, the cloud cleared just like on Wednesday, and the area was lit up as bright as day by the moon. Though spectacular to see, it signalled the death knell on my fishing for the night, and the next 4 hours passed by without so much as another sniff 馃槬.

So sport definitely seems to be slowing down, but at least the bass are still around. The weather is also deteriorating now, but I鈥檓 still hopeful of a few more sessions yet and to be able to add to my second best years tally before I return to my long-running hunt for that elusive 20lb conger 馃槈.

Registered
Thanks for the report Andy, and good to see the tally continuing to grow. I was sad to see this morning that cockle pickers (I am assuming) seem to have left lots of old gloves and other rubbish 馃槩 amongst shells.
My catch rate is still ticking over too, but only 1 per session recently. My daughter was happy to get one on the Mishna during a 45 min local session last night - we normally blank she comes so she was thrilled.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the report Andy, and good to see the tally continuing to grow. I was sad to see this morning that cockle pickers (I am assuming) seem to have left lots of old gloves and other rubbish 馃槩 amongst shells.
My catch rate is still ticking over too, but only 1 per session recently. My daughter was happy to get one on the Mishna during a 45 min local session last night - we normally blank she comes so she was thrilled.
Cheers Greg, glad your still catching too (y).

Sadly the mess from the cockle pickers wasn't just restricted to the shore, the last 100m or so of the track down to the mark is a complete mess too. The verges are all dug up with deep ruts and tyre tracks and the lane itself is covered in mud :mad:.

I admire your persistence Andy . I did intend going midweek when the winds abated but when I saw that Moon I jibbed.
With the weather we're getting this week Gareth, I bet you had ventured out after all now :LOL:.

well done Andy (y) again on the same lure !
The Misha is an absolute killer of a lure Sergei, I only caught on it for the first time in May 2020 and that was my 100th bass on it already :giggle:.

Keep at it mate, I've had a dire year, but your posts inspires me,to keep trying...lovely report...Oly..馃憤馃榿
Hopefully you'll still get a few more yet mate ;).

The forecast is still changing by the hour, but next week is starting to look a little bit more settled, so let's hope it keeps heading in the right direction :cool:.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well done Andy. Hopefully a few more yet before the season finally ends.

When did the transformation from SP-sceptic to SP fanatic happen btw :D:D
Thanks Kev (y), I live in hope of a few more fish yet but this weather is doing its best to bring the season to a premature end :cry:.

The transformation from sceptic to fanatic started at 21:28 on May 16th 2019, the exact time and date that I caught my first bass on a Mishna :ROFLMAO:.

Registered
I've tried buying Mishnas from the Sunslicker website for weeks but never any stock! Since his contact email refuses to recognise my address, does anyone know where to buy some from? Cheers
Al

Registered
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I've tried buying Mishnas from the Sunslicker website for weeks but never any stock! Since his contact email refuses to recognise my address, does anyone know where to buy some from? Cheers
Al
Hi Al,

I'm afraid Sunslicker lures are only available direct from the manufacturer but I've just looked at the shop now and there are plenty of Mishnas and jig-heads in stock.

If you can't contact Nick by email, then you can message him on Facebook if you're on there?

Reactions: the basslegend

Registered
Thanks Andy. Just checked again now but still shows out of stock for the ones I'm after, won't accept my email address, the mobile number goes straight to v mail same as it has for weeks and no reply from Facefook messages for over 3 weekso_O Gone to the Lure Factory for custom pours for our oat club....

Registered
Andy, dont give up yet, went to one of my late season straits marks today, water 13c and clear and managed 12 landed ,one dropped and 4-5 hits that didnt find the hook..........nothing big , all around 2lb.............all on the power shad as usual, all in daylight as usual.....this mild weather means another week or two at least.
lots of baitfish close in being chased by razorbills/guillemots...........and a seal eying up the bass...

Registered
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Andy, dont give up yet, went to one of my late season straits marks today, water 13c and clear and managed 12 landed ,one dropped and 4-5 hits that didnt find the hook..........nothing big , all around 2lb.............all on the power shad as usual, all in daylight as usual.....this mild weather means another week or two at least.
lots of baitfish close in being chased by razorbills/guillemots...........and a seal eying up the bass...
Glad to hear you're still catching Trevor (y).

The main problem I have at this time of year, is the fact that the bass seem to feed mainly in daylight, and with work and family commitments I just can't get out during the day. The bass just don't seem to feed as much at night any more and they also become really localised or preoccupied with certain prey.

I put in 5 hours without a touch last night, at a mark which was producing up until quite recently, and since mid October I've put in 22 hours of fishing time for just 2 hits. I'm the type of guy who always looks on the bright side where fishing is concerned, but I do have my limits on how much time I'm prepared to put in for such scant reward :ROFLMAO:.

Registered
keep trying Andy they are still around in good numbers........told an old lure mate that I fished with when we sussed out the stables years ago about the 12 I had in the straits a week ago.......
Got a message last night that he had managed to go there yesterday and had over 40 between 2lb and 4 lb, I went today but at the wrong stage of the tide as I couldnt go at the best time, managed 6 up to 3lb in 90 mins....

whilst water temps are still good its worth keeping on going,

At this time of the year the bass are stuffed full of white fat reserves and arent actually feeding at all be it night or day......
all we are doing is triggering an attack with our lures..........

1 - 14 of 14 Posts