World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got back from a short break in Spain to visit my brother, to be greeted by the new site. It certainly has that wow factor. Well done Mike. It was great before, but it's even better now. It's nice to see the regular posters have learnt how to use the new buttons. Nice to see the chat room opens before my bedtime. Us old uns have to have our kip.

Can anyone beat this for missed knocks. My brother arranged a boat trip, but apart from a few smalls, I drew,( not wishing to take any posters name in vain) a blank. Next day I went spinning from the shore. Again I blanked, apart from 3 seagulls that tried to nick my plugs. Two came down took a quick peck and flew off. The third actually took the lure and started to fly away with it before releasing it on realising it was not edible.

I ended up looking skywards every time I cast to make sure there were no gulls about. A question for all you posters, do you think a British gull would act in such a dastardly rapacious manner. Don,t we have enough trouble with Spanish fishermen, without their gulls starting on us. Perhaps they have been trained to attack the tackle of foreign fisherman. A painful thought.

Nice to be back

Fred

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
welcome back fred. hope u ad a good time, while some 1 ere been blankin, blinkin seagulls ere are a pain sometimes as well.think it depends wot mood they are in m8, ........bit like the wife u no........

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Know what you mean Poach, know what you mean.

Fred

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Nice to be back, Taff2. Thought any more about Portugal.

Fred

·
Registered
438 Posts
wife said lets go to spain with her mates he do not fish he must go see a doctor but i stood up to her :eek: we are going to spain in september buti am going fishing to isle of white 23 of may for 5 days

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Take your Exage, and your spinning gear, if she,ll let you, even if it only to stop you having withdrawal symptoms. Let me know how you get on at IOW.

Talk to you soon

Fred

·
Registered
4,869 Posts
Hi Fred bach! We had a thread a while back about this subject and it seems its not just the English, oops, British who are subject to 'Bird Strike' It may well be to do with the Birds getting their own back after Hitchcock slandered them all!
When that thread was up we got, amongst others,:
From fishingrhod:
1 duck
1 swan
1 cormorant

and mysteriously, a rook!
When I asked him how a rook, he let me stew and then asked,"Rook - ever practised casting in a field? Line gets wrapped round all sorts of things.... "

and the following, (for me at least), great tale from daienglish:
"Went down on Porthcawl wall . The fishing was slow ,so desided to catch some rats , by tying bait on the line (no hooks) of my six foot spinning rod . l had loads of runs , at least somthing made my rod bend . Does this count ? Also caught a clam which clamped on the line and a seagulls toe this was great fun for me but not the bird .removed the clam from my line and its toe and the bird flew off , no worse for its experiance .Put the clam on for bait and caught a 2lb bass .The way i look at it give mother nature a hand and she'l return it .no animals were injurred in eather trip. hee hee hee"

dangler's dad caught a SandMartin in flight while Fly fishing and there were some sad tales about Bats doing the same but damaging themselves something terrible.

My experience which started it off concerned a Great Black Backed gull which insisted on dive bombing me because I was in its territory and, in temper, I cast a lead over it and inadvertantly caught it and had to reel it in. Bl**dy huge they are, but released unhurt.

However only a fortnight ago I suggested that there were Spanish Cormorants in the Menai Straits because one was fishing right in front of me and ignored my questions in Welsh (always talk to locals!)

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Swelleyman,

When I looked at some of the fish catches posted on the board I used to feel inferior. After my gull experience I thought, surely this puts me on the leader board. I should have known better. I must take my hat off to Fishingrhod. However I'm not sure the swan counts as surely he must have been course fishing. If we are going to post details of bird catches I feel it should be restricted to sea-birds only. Perhaps we should restrict to webbed footed birds only.

Fred

PS Just realised swans have webbed feet. okay, I'll accept swans but not rooks.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts