World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Accepts cakes as bribes.
12,213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Visited the dentist for a check up today, and while I was waiting I trawled through the various magazines, and found a Feb 05 issue of Anglers Mail. After flicking disinterestedly through pages of grinning idiots holding up obese fish, I found a little gem of an article tucked away in the back pages like an oasis in the desert.

It was by Mike Thrussell (who else) and the article was about Flounder fishing at night. I have caught them when fishing at night but I just assumed that this was luck. I have never actually tried targetting them in darkness. After years of putting coloured beads and shiny bits of metal on my snoods, I now ask myself why I flippin well bothered, although I have noticed that I catch more using beads, but they tend to be smaller. Mike was yanking them out one after the other to 2lb. I think that come Autumn I will be trying some night fishing for some 2lb Flounders. After fishing for 30 odd years, you can still learn something new. Brilliant!

What a shame that such an interesting article was buried at the back of a predominantly coarse fishing mag, depriving those who would have enjoyed it from a bloomin' good read. I did toy with the idea of tearing out the page and slipping it into my pocket, but then I was called in by the Dentist and I didn't think he would appreciate me swiping his mags.

·
Registered
4,872 Posts
Sure the 'article' is still on the hard disc. Perhaps MikeJnr can persuade him to download it here or at least onto the 'Angling Adventures' section.

Oops, didn't check, perhaps it's there already!!

See I should have looked! There's a great 'adventure' doing more than Floundering in Scapa Flo with 'our' Mike Jnr doing more than his bit!!! Don't know if this is the same article but certainly worth a read!

·
Accepts cakes as bribes.
12,213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No, I looked in the "Angling Adventures" bit when I got in but it wasn't there. Mind, catching Flounder is hardly an adventure is it? Unless you're fishing with Ray Mears! :)

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Hi Rob

I used to live about 30 seconds from Lychette bay which is part of poole harbour. by 30 seconds i mean from my back door out the garden cross the road and I was there. A lot of boats had moorings there which kids enjoy breaking into or setting on fire or just letting the rope or chain go. if you walked a short way from this area you could fish in some nice thick sticky mud...there was a nice main channel into the bay and smaller ones up to parts of the bank in area's. using my 25 year old 3 piece hollow glassfibre rod and cheap £3.99 fixspool reel, i would cast out a single rag on a size 1 hook on a flowing trace and a 1oz drilled ball lead on the main line...I used to add beads to the hook length and some times a little float to keep the rag off the bottom and out of the crabs reach. After a quick flick i would get out about 65yards....the weight would stick deep in the mud as the depth of water was only a meter deep. and slight pull would get it free and then after winding in the slack i would wait for a bite, turning the reel handle a few times every couple of minutes if i hadn't had a bite. I would often catch flounders to 2lb some bigger some smaller and all at night... night fishing for them is better than during daylight...the beads don't have to be seen it is the little noise they make and why rattle beads are being used a lot.... I have even caught big bass in the same way. If you are fishing into a muddy area don't use heavy weights and leave it until you get a bite as the mud soon closes over the lead and will hold it tight and you will lose all your end tackle. :eek: :eek:

·
Accepts cakes as bribes.
12,213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Bassbites

Thanks for that. I've always been a sucker for flatties, I just enjoy catching them so much. Sounds like you have it down to a fine art.

Going to Weymouth end of August. Lychette bay sounds great, might give it a go.

Rob

·
Registered
3,186 Posts
Hi gale force, I saw you walking of monknash with your 2 little ones, I was the solitary edjit who was fishing on the ledge to the left of the path( the one with the orange and black flotation jacket on.sorry to have missed u all on the beach. :eek:

·
Accepts cakes as bribes.
12,213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
RadioKaos said:
Hi gale force, I saw you walking of monknash with your 2 little ones, I was the solitary edjit who was fishing on the ledge to the left of the path( the one with the orange and black flotation jacket on.sorry to have missed u all on the beach. :eek:
See "Tell Me How You Go On At Monknash" thread.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts