World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Banned
746 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here are 2 pics of my new boat which I would appreciate any history of. I bought it from some-one in Oldham in April this year. He said he bought it from a dealer in Anglesea. Its a 17ft Dory with a centre console and there were 2 offshore RNLI stickers on the console. It has a 1997 75 hp Mariner outboard and is on a snipe trailer (though not in the pics :p ) It was called TUB when It arrived.

Wildercard

Attachments

·
Banned
132 Posts
have you been told a big lie thats a Virgo 16.5 with the cabin cut of. I'm 110% on that score as Ive got one with the cabin.i put a 60 hp big foot on it and i get 32 to 34 knots out of it. they slam a bit at speed when there a chop on the water.

have you checked around the edge of the floor for cracks ( this can lead to water in the foam)
and dose it have a plug in the bottom of the well in back for drainage as well as one through the transom

any way here is a photo

·
Banned
746 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
chazz said:
have you been told a big lie thats a Virgo 16.5 with the cabin cut of. I'm 110% on that score as Ive got one with the cabin.i put a 60 hp big foot on it and i get 32 to 34 knots out of it. they slam a bit at speed when there a chop on the water.

have you checked around the edge of the floor for cracks ( this can lead to water in the foam)
and dose it have a plug in the bottom of the well in back for drainage as well as one through the transom

any way here is a photo

Seems your right on all fronts. I've re-foamed and glassed in a new deck as there was water between the hull and deck - it also has 2 plugs as you suggested. Any more info on these boats.

Wildercard.

·
Banned
132 Posts
OK i think you will need to speck to some one about getting the foam tested

i say this because i had about 1/2 ton of water trapped in the foam to get this i result i put the boat on a wight bridge be for and after we striped the form out and there was 3/4 ton difference.your boat should way about 750 kg with your engine on and gear in. you will find that it has been sold because it is heavy .

what happens is the water gets in the small holes and just sits there and doesn't move or get warm to evaporate.

i hope that its not water lodged but best to check to make shore.

it doesn't make any difference to the buoyancy but just makes it heavy

·
Banned
746 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Chazz,

You didn't read my reply fully - I already scrapped the old foam & deck and glassed in a new one. Any more info on who makes these boats ?

Wildercard.

·
Registered
34 Posts
HI Wildercard. This dumb bunny appears to have bought a 17ft Dory with excess under flooring water. Could you tell me how you cut the old deck out? i.e. where do you cut around the deck? Snug against the side, or out from it a little? I would appreciate any help you can offer. I've added a photo of the boat.

Attachments

·
Registered
34 Posts
Hi Wildercard. I've managed to get some info about Dell Quay Dorys for you.
If you go to YBW.com and type in "whatever happened to Dell Quay Dory" you'll discover all that I have.

G

·
HI Wildercard. This dumb bunny appears to have bought a 17ft Dory with excess under flooring water. Could you tell me how you cut the old deck out? i.e. where do you cut around the deck? Snug against the side, or out from it a little? I would appreciate any help you can offer. I've added a photo of the boat.
I dont think you will get a reply from Wildercard. He left the forum over 2 years ago:bye1:. Someone else will be along to help though:hug:

·
Registered
3,150 Posts
Hi If you post this in the Boat Maintenence section. I'm sure you would get some techical info on how to go about that.

Dave.

·
Registered
1,957 Posts
I'd try to drain it before setting to the deck with a saw! Try winding the jockey wheel up as far as it'll go and then drill a 6mm hole very low down thru the transom. If its not foam filled under the deck and the compartments under the deck arnt watertight (unlikey) then you should get a nice little stream out the hole. Its a good idea th catch it in a few buckets so that you can figure out how much was in there. If the deck void has been foamed that it'll day days to drain out. Then you have the choice of simply fitting a proper drain plug, finding where its coming in and curing that end or cutting open the deck. If the water coming out is beer coloured then the chances are that any ply/timber structural stuff under the deck has rotted due to the water laying in there a while. Then its time to open up the deck. cut a 600x 600 section out the middle and then gingerly work towards the sides, you know when to stop!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts