World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Four of us headed over to Anglesey from Yorkshire on Friday evening in some pretty terrible conditions.

First port of call was the chinese takaway in Beaumaris followed by Penmon Point. Amazingly the sky cleared and we only had one more quick shower, although it was very breezy.

We tackled up on the pebble beach and launched a variety of fish baits into the water, including mackerel fillet, squid and mini cuttlefish.

First fish went to my mate with a small strap of around 4lbs, followed by my mate from Leicester who was using my gear and has only been beach fishing once before. He was thrilled with his first doggie.

My turn then came when a small huss snaffled my cuttlefish bait. First one I've ever had which was very pleasing. I then made it another first with, wait for it, a doggie! Not something we get many of on the Yorkshire coast.

The night carried on with a stream of small huss and doggies which offered very good sport.

The following day we headed to Gareths shop for some bait, supplies and general advice. Very nice bloke he is as well, and a cracking little shop he has.

It was decided that we'd give Moelfre a shot with the stiff breeze coming off our backs, in theory. The wind shifted slightly and was very strong which made things extremely difficult. We packed in after a couple of hours with nothing to show for it.

Lligwy beach was the next spot as this would offer us some shelter from the wind. We fished to the right of the beach against the rocks hoping for some flatties and bass as we aproached the top of the tide. Amazingly despite using just about every bait and rig imaginable we managed only one small bite between the four of us in 3 hours. Guess the bright conditions didn't help.

Holyhead Breakwater was to be the final destination. We arrived a couple of hours before low water and fished the inside throughout till high water, about 12.30am.

Throughout the day we didn't have a single bite on our bigger baits, although one of my mates winkled out a small wrasse on some VERY light gear. He then caught a HUGE spider crab which will be tomorrows lunch!

As darkness fell the doggies, pin whiting and small huss moved in offering some sport for us all. Loads of bites from small fish but they were very good at avoiding our 3/0 pennels.

Had few hours sleep in the car and then back home early on Sunday morning.

A very enjoyable weekends fishing all in all, but I'll tell you what...I'm knackered!

·
Registered
6,686 Posts
Four of us headed over to Anglesey from Yorkshire on Friday evening in some pretty terrible conditions.

First port of call was the chinese takaway in Beaumaris followed by Penmon Point. Amazingly the sky cleared and we only had one more quick shower, although it was very breezy.

We tackled up on the pebble beach and launched a variety of fish baits into the water, including mackerel fillet, squid and mini cuttlefish.

First fish went to my mate with a small strap of around 4lbs, followed by my mate from Leicester who was using my gear and has only been beach fishing once before. He was thrilled with his first doggie.

My turn then came when a small huss snaffled my cuttlefish bait. First one I've ever had which was very pleasing. I then made it another first with, wait for it, a doggie! Not something we get many of on the Yorkshire coast.

The night carried on with a stream of small huss and doggies which offered very good sport.

The following day we headed to Gareths shop for some bait, supplies and general advice. Very nice bloke he is as well, and a cracking little shop he has.

It was decided that we'd give Moelfre a shot with the stiff breeze coming off our backs, in theory. The wind shifted slightly and was very strong which made things extremely difficult. We packed in after a couple of hours with nothing to show for it.

Lligwy beach was the next spot as this would offer us some shelter from the wind. We fished to the right of the beach against the rocks hoping for some flatties and bass as we aproached the top of the tide. Amazingly despite using just about every bait and rig imaginable we managed only one small bite between the four of us in 3 hours. Guess the bright conditions didn't help.

Holyhead Breakwater was to be the final destination. We arrived a couple of hours before low water and fished the inside throughout till high water, about 12.30am.

Throughout the day we didn't have a single bite on our bigger baits, although one of my mates winkled out a small wrasse on some VERY light gear. He then caught a HUGE spider crab which will be tomorrows lunch!

As darkness fell the doggies, pin whiting and small huss moved in offering some sport for us all. Loads of bites from small fish but they were very good at avoiding our 3/0 pennels.

Had few hours sleep in the car and then back home early on Sunday morning.

A very enjoyable weekends fishing all in all, but I'll tell you what...I'm knackered!
MikeR and mates,
Well done nice report and you caught some fish as well.:clap3:
Coastman:)

·
King of Kings
16,043 Posts
sounds like u had enjoyble weekend nice report .shaggy:)

·
Registered
328 Posts
Nice fishing there Mike,

Bet you're glad you don't get plagued by doggies up your neck of the woods:)

Didn't know you could eat Spider crabs, had one on Trefor Pier on Thursday. Ugly vicious things aren't they

Regards,

Steve

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Cheers lads.

Got a couple of recipes for spider crab. Tonight is sauted spider crab with garlic, lemon ands parsley. Mmmmmmmm!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts