World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Chaps,

Many years ago (25+) I had a weeks fishing on Anglesey and really enjoyed fishing the rocks and the Holyhead breakwater (made a change from the shallow east anglian beaches I normally fish). When we returned again a few years later we were no longer allowed to drive a car along the breakwater, we did carry the gear up a couple of times - but its a long walk!
We are thinking of organising a return trip and wondered if you are allowed to take a car along there again now?
Also would like some local advice as to best time of year to fish this area and perhaps even some pointers on marks?
Is there much being caught at present? Or are we better waiting until the codling start to run? If so when is that likely to be?
To be honest I quite fancy trying for species that we don't catch over our part of the world very often - wrasse, pollock, gurnard, mackeral plaice etc

Be grateful for any advice!

Many thanks, in anticipation

·
Registered
327 Posts
Yes you can drive down the breakwater with care large pot holes occuring.... now is a good time to fish with all species of wrasse down the side possible. The wrasse will move out in the next few months. Large pollack to be had off the back of the break but tackle loss can be high.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
Hi Catchers,

The Breakwater is OK if you can stand the smell of urine, unfortunately people treat it as a toilet.

There are plenty of other excellent places to fish on Anglesey, have a good look around the forum.

Amlwch, Point Lynas, Cable Bay, Bull Bay, Moelfre, Black Point, and last but far from least the Straits. All good fishing places from rocks where you will catch all the species and more that you mentioned.

Regards

Dave

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the reply guys, I am sure we will also look to try some of the other areas mentioned. It is just with only a short visit and not knowing the area, don't want to waste time fishing wrong places! I remember from last time the fact that it was easy access and deep water -very different from the shallow beaches i'm used to. However, i'm sure the same can be said of some of the other marks mentioned (especially the rock marks).
Considering coming in the next month or so - would you say that is a good time to come (usually good round here with the changeover from summer to winter species), not necessarily looking to catch monsters - just looking for some fun fishing, and different species / methods

·
Registered
4,872 Posts
As an angler who's from Anglesey who regularly fishes in Lowestoft I can agree about how different the two sides of the counntry are! Mind you since all the shingle was washed off the North Beach that's beginning to resemble the Menai Straits which is where I fish most.
The basic differences are the fact that the tide moves you about a great deal. Very few places that you can put up a beach buddy, light the lamp and stay in one place (Pakefield?) However the Breakwater is obviously one - if you can put up with the smell in some places!
Also, from the Straits at least, marks tend to be a low water up for three/four hours. There are high water marks about but they are few and far between.
Snaggy ground. They are naturally 'hefty' places with lots of naturally kelpy spots. Using rotten bottom rigs is to be recommended and in places using freelined crab close to shore. In fact my own inability to cast far on East Anglian beaches is due in no small part to having only learnt to cast 20 - 60yds in the Straits!
Species. Far more chance of catching almost anything that swims off some marks particularly from rock marks on the West coast (Ty Croes, Cable Bay, Ravens Point, The Ranges - look them up on here - some easier to get to than others!) The West Coast has surf beaches top (Cymyran (next to RAF valley)) and Llanddwyn/Newborough in the bottom end facing Caernarvon - can be a long walk from the carpark these ones (but fantastic spot!!) The South Eastern end of the Island has Penmon Point - a rocky spit surrounded by weed but also shoals of Mackeral (if you can get by the macky bashers if still the school hols! Not far to walk from the carpark 'though you pay £2 to get there along a private road.
Tackle shops of note- Menai Angling just above Menai Bridge and ABC at Gallows Point near Beaumaris which has masses of tackle at great prices as well as the bait and advice you need from Malcom the proprieter. There are other shops in Holyhead (Winnies) and also in Benllech on the East coast. I've always used Malcs which does not reflect upon the others!!
If you need more specific marks PM me. Cheers!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts