World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just enjoyed a day at Moelfre with my brother.Caught the inevitable mackerel and some doggies.
Really wanted a bass though.I was told the channel between the island and the mainland could produce but none showed.
I was advised by another angler that peeler would be the best bait , but as we were a little under prepared ( both had a day off so did a 230 mile round trip for the day ) we only had the mackerel as bait.
I've just treated myself to some new tackle - 11 ft 6 " bass rod , a new fixed spool reel filled with 15lb line and really want to catch a few bass in the next week or so as I have a little bit of time off work.
Plenty of time to make sure I have what I need next time , so could anyone please advise me about any marks for bass around Anglesey , what bait and tactics etc.
Although I have done a little sea fishing over the years I have mainly been a course angler so would consider myself a bit of a novice when it comes to the sea.
Oh yeah , and what a blast catching the mackies on light spinning gear - they can really go can't they !
Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
76 Posts
failsafe said:
Just enjoyed a day at Moelfre with my brother.Caught the inevitable mackerel and some doggies.
Really wanted a bass though.I was told the channel between the island and the mainland could produce but none showed.
I was advised by another angler that peeler would be the best bait , but as we were a little under prepared ( both had a day off so did a 230 mile round trip for the day ) we only had the mackerel as bait.
I've just treated myself to some new tackle - 11 ft 6 " bass rod , a new fixed spool reel filled with 15lb line and really want to catch a few bass in the next week or so as I have a little bit of time off work.
Plenty of time to make sure I have what I need next time , so could anyone please advise me about any marks for bass around Anglesey , what bait and tactics etc.
Although I have done a little sea fishing over the years I have mainly been a course angler so would consider myself a bit of a novice when it comes to the sea.
Oh yeah , and what a blast catching the mackies on light spinning gear - they can really go can't they !
Thanks in advance.
hi mate
you could try fishing ligwy beach for the bass my mate caught a few the other week, also there is flounder and doggies etc there i fish moelfre a lot but never caught a bass there plus its either to busy or you catch the rocks to much so mostly i go to benllech theres mackerel doggies flatties etc
cheers jonny

·
Registered
644 Posts
Hi jonathan,Were about`s is ligwy beach? i know the island quite well but have not heard of this place, i hope you don`t mind me asking,
Cheers,Del.

·
Registered
76 Posts
hi mate
ligwy beach is about 1.5 mile from moelfre when you get to the small roundabout at the top of moelfre (coming from moelfre) go right at the roundabout not towards dulas or left to benllech as you go that way youll pass a ancient roman building thing keep going to the end of the road then go straight over thcross roads then head for the sea you,ll see it. the beach is big + sandy when i fish it i always go to the right where a little stream hits the sea this is where i catch the flounder.
cheers hope this helps
jon

see the attached

Attachments

·
Registered
644 Posts
Thanks for that jonathan,i know where you mean now,what`s the best bait to use and the best time to fish there?(sorry to be such a pain) a fancy having a go there.thanks,Del

·
Registered
4,872 Posts
Glad you're joining the hunt! If you haven't already found Malcom's at Gallows Point then go there with you're map and he'll tell you some good marks as well.
If you go up/down to Llanfair PG and look for the Information Centre which is part of the huge Pringles Shop at the old train station (In through the main door and it's immediately on the left) you'll be able to get hold of a map produced by the tourist board for the Skippers who take visitors out. On the back of the map is a series of Shore Fishing Marks with maps and travel details. Excellent value at FREE!

Actually if you got that map first you could take that to Malcs! The 'Pringles' place also has food and is a great repository for wives who drive and who can pick you up later, much later! A couple of marks are withing three miles of Llanfair actually in the Straits. Use crab there unless of course you also decide to put out a dead bait while you spin with another rod. There are few mackeral in the straits FROM THE SHORE (although that's changing - caught one last year - first since i was a lad) Take your coarse fishing stuff - I use a 17' float rod, a heavy feeder (method with groundbait) and a 2.75 Carp rod (live/dead bait - ace!) all with baitfeeders and braid. Look for deepish water or water rising over mud with little estury gullies, near Church Island in Menai Bridge (park up as you enter a wooded car park 100yds from the old bridge and walk down through the trees to the old churchyard) Best at low water but BEWARE ROUGH BOTTOM. Fish to the right of the end of the churchyard with crab or anything as tide pushes up the mud and amongst the floating weed patches - had good Bass there on light tackle - the only place I've ever caught at HIGH tide! Also good Mullet!!

If you're into Macky bashing with crowds of others and their children then try Penmon (SE tip - pay £2 for parking) Early morning late evening are better if crowds worry you! Otherwise White Beach (accessible through Llangoed) will give you a really premier mark (WITH Macky bashing under the cliffs on the right!) A fairly long, very narrow, winding lane with little parking, but worth it for the scenery - cliffs and reefs, but safe if you have average wits about you - watch what others do - (second trip is usually better than the first if you follow me!)

Anglesey is roughly square so you can always find a sheltered spot away from wind. My only warning is that long, clean, sandy beaches, with easy access are also found by hundreds of visiting families! Fish early morning/late evening/POURING RAIN! Good luck!

·
Registered
11,183 Posts
pwhelli marina channel should have small bass with agood chance of black bream pluss dogs, eel and flounder. all good fun on light gear. worms or crab will take most try tipping with mack, better on an evening, tide in any direction.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Right then , 10 minutes and I'm setting off .Should take around an hour and a half / 2 hours to get there.Will pop into the tackle shop at gallows point for a few bits and then thats it!!

I'll let you all know how I get on.....

Many thanks for the replies , much appreciated !

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Got back at about 4am this morning.

What a day !!! Awesome.... just brilliant.

First of all I have to thank ChrisP ... What a top man !!!

I drove up to Caernarfon , met ChrisP - whos hospitality , help and advice were just fantastic.
I was shown where to get peelers and where to dig for lug.Got a bucket of each.After making a few traces and having a few brews with Chris I set off for the mark.High tide and dusk coincided niceley so I was told I could be in for some good Bass fishing.

And good it was......

Was only one other person on the beach , said he'd been ther for half an hour spinning but hadn't caught.
I set up my kit - 3 hook rig with lug on all 3 , with a 3oz lead , chucking about 40 yards.
Must have taken 5 minutes , first cast , to get the first bite.Struck into it and landed my first Bass of the session.
What a start.
I was getting bites every few minutes , missed a few but still managed to catch plenty of Bass , taking 3 home for the pot.
I left earlier than I had intended ... the lights I had brought were not up to it and could hardly see a thing.
Learned a couple of things that will help next time ... don't take a full ( and heavy )tackle box when you have to navigate a field and sand dunes in the dark , make sure the lights are right for the job , take a mobile just in case and take my brother who would just love it!!!

If it wasn't for this great forum then yesterday would not have happened.

Thank you all !!!!!!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts