World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
afternoon everyone,

I'm after some advice if any of you are in the know. I've tried calling and emailing Anglesey council but have had no response.

I've fished Anglesey many times from shore all across the island but have just purchased a 3.8m rib with 25hp outboard. I'm looking on advice as to where to launch it.

It will be packed in the car and inflated on site and I've fitted transom wheels to make it easy to launch from a slip or beach. Few questions are:
1. If im not using a council slipway or beach do I still need to register the rib with the council?
2. If i do where can I register it before next weekend if I'm not on Anglesey (planning to go next Sat early doors)?
3. Does anyone know free launching sites (slips or beaches) that have easy access and parking (ill need to inflate beside the car to power the pump)?
4. Any good catch reports not too far out (taking the mrs and 2 kids so would like to catch something)?

We've not launched a bout before so should be interesting got! We've got all the safety gear inc life jackets, we've got the rods and multiplier reels, just need to get some tackle depending on marks and species, any advice would be great.

Thanks everyone,
Gary

· Registered
2,106 Posts
My advice would be not to try to go out with your kids on your first ever time launching a boat youve never used. A bit of a sea trial to check all is well would be wise. Also research tides etc and only launch if its calm and theres no forecast of winds that may pick up whilst out and make landing a nightmare. Assume you have automatic inflating life jackets, flares, VHF radio, Insurance and someone who knows where youve gone and when you should be back. Inexperienced people who think you can just turn up and go wandering all over the place are putting themselves at risk.
Many of the places for launching accross North Wales have been closed off over the last 10 years in the name of safety and also to earn a few quid. If you try to use a council run slipway you will need to be registered, be able to show your insurance papers and then pay the £20 or so to launch.
I know several experienced lure anglers that have smaller more manageable ribs than yours who just go to quiet areas with parking near the water and inflate and launch, but they know what they are doing.

Call the harbourmaster in holyhead to find out what you need to do

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
T
My advice would be not to try to go out with your kids on your first ever time launching a boat youve never used. A bit of a sea trial to check all is well would be wise. Also research tides etc and only launch if its calm and theres no forecast of winds that may pick up whilst out and make landing a nightmare. Assume you have automatic inflating life jackets, flares, VHF radio, Insurance and someone who knows where youve gone and when you should be back. Inexperienced people who think you can just turn up and go wandering all over the place are putting themselves at risk.
Many of the places for launching accross North Wales have been closed off over the last 10 years in the name of safety and also to earn a few quid. If you try to use a council run slipway you will need to be registered, be able to show your insurance papers and then pay the £20 or so to launch.
I know several experienced lure anglers that have smaller more manageable ribs than yours who just go to quiet areas with parking near the water and inflate and launch, but they know what they are doing.

Call the harbourmaster in holyhead to find out what you need to do
Thanks fishfordinner,

Yeah I have all the mentioned safety equipment, they were the first items we sourced after the rib itself. We also have sonar with GPS and mapping and an anchor.

We also know to check the weather and tides and have put off launching on prior dates because of this. Though def a good point about testing without the kids first, I'll definitely do that first.

I've researched loads and spent hours online to be as educated as I can and we will initially only be going out when conditions are ideal, to areas I know and will not be venturing far.

I'll give the harbourmaster a call on Monday.

Thanks
Gary

· Registered
1,323 Posts
Some good advice there from FFD ,also remember that next Saturday is the Bank holiday weekend and it will be a bit busy , places like Traeth Bychan NE Anglesey will be busier than this

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Some good advice there from FFD ,also remember that next Saturday is the Bank holiday weekend and it will be a bit busy , places like Traeth Bychan NE Anglesey will be busier than this

View attachment 1295363
Thanks Glas y dorlan,

Yeah bank hol weekend is going to be busy, will keep an eye on weather and tides for another day, good shout.

Gary

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.