World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

· Registered
1,070 Posts
East Anglian Rod Company Ltd, Brinkley, Newmarlet, Suffolk and their Qualtack sub-brand. A well respected manufacturer, this 1973 trade catalogue finds them at the peak of their glass fibre rod production. Like many fishing tackle catalogues of the era it features sections on the products of several other tackle manufacturers - in this catalogue of approximately 100 pages only 14 pages are of East Anglian Rod Co. fishing rods the remainder being of other tackle manufacturers' products almost none of which are fishing rods as that would clash with the main brand on show. Other brands featured in this catalogue include :-

* Galion reels- (the Mitchell budget brand).
* D.A.M. reels.
* Intrepid reels.
* Garcia Mitchell reels.
* Ryobi reels.
* Mustad hooks.
* Middy Floats.
* Mepps spinners.
* Normark lures.
* Ingrams Mevagissey baits.

Generally a great source of information on lots of tackle available in 1973.

Some welcome information here on one of my rods which I have posted about previously the East Anglian Rod Co. Qualtack 13' King Cast (still in my to-renovate tray) - here I find its recommended casting weight range and that it is made from best German glass (Sportex probably ?).

Also, note the interesting Ocean King beachcaster with the two butt grips.

· Registered
1,070 Posts
Sportex Catalogue 1968.

Another catalogue which features a number of manufactures' products, this one giving us a window into tackle available in in the UK in 1968.

Sportex are German based and their products listed in this catalogue include -
* Fishing rods
* Perlyl and Fluor monofilament
* White Spider and Searanger braided lines
* Rod rings.
* Rod bags.
* Nets.
* Floats

Some of the other makers featured -
* Bronson Reel Co. (USA).
* Mustad hooks (Norway).
* V.M.C. hooks (France).
* Grice & Young reels.
* Intrepid Reels.
* Strikeright centrepin reels.
* Gordon reels.
* Mucilin Dressings

Impressively, Sportex were making a 14' beachcaster with an 8 to 12oz casting weight range and it weighed a mere 3lb 2oz (1.4kg).

· Registered
1,070 Posts
Milbro Fishing Tackle Catalogue 1973.

A very high quality catalogue this one, 73mm x24mm with a card cover and pages of only a little lighter gauge. It has 48 pages of fishing articles and advice followed by 53 pages of tackle (and 4 pages of air guns). You couldn't just pick this up for free at your local tackle shop, you had to fork out 25p, 5 shillings still to many then. There is value in it though -

Starting with the Fishing section -

Next the Tackle section -

Here are the Milbro Beachcasters - from left to right Cutlasses, Sabres, Scimitars and Surfmaster. I have the three piece, reverse taper Cutlass, Bigaal was asking about the Cutlass with the bare metal butt. As you can see the Terry Carrolls were yet to make an appearance.

Tackle, mainly reels, by other manufacturers are also featured -

Continued >>>

· Registered
4,479 Posts
Milbro Fishing Tackle Catalogue 1973.

View attachment 663233

View attachment 663241

A very high quality catalogue this one, 73mm x24mm with a card cover and pages of only a little lighter gauge. It has 48 pages of fishing articles and advice followed by 53 pages of tackle (and 4 pages of air guns). You couldn't just pick this up for free at your local tackle shop, you had to fork out 25p, 5 shillings still to many then. There is value in it though -

Starting with the Fishing section -

View attachment 663249

View attachment 663257

View attachment 663265

View attachment 663273

View attachment 663281

View attachment 663289

Next the Tackle section -

Here are the Milbro Beachcasters - from left to right Cutlasses, Sabres, Scimitars and Surfmaster. I have the three piece, reverse taper Cutlass, Bigaal was asking about the Cutlass with the bare metal butt. As you can see the Terry Carrolls were yet to make an appearance.

View attachment 663297

Tackle, mainly reels, by other manufacturers are also featured -

View attachment 663305

Continued >>>
Greetings BP,
If it wasn't too much trouble for you, could you please photograph that "Congers of Scrabster" article by Ted Simons and upload it on here in it's entirety please, as I really like reading about them and really enjoy old sea fishing tales as well. It would be greatly appreciated.
Kind regards,
Tim

· Registered
1,070 Posts
Greetings BP,
If it wasn't too much trouble for you, could you please photograph that "Congers of Scrabster" article by Ted Simons and upload it on here in it's entirety please, as I really like reading about them and really enjoy old sea fishing tales as well. It would be greatly appreciated.
Kind regards,
Tim
Here you are, Tim. Enjoy :-

· Registered
4,479 Posts
Reactions: Beach Person
1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.