World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
One Life - Fish it!
5,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just pulled from SkyText page 110...

Angling goes on the curriculum at Shropshire Comprehensive...
A Shropshire comprehensive has become the first school in the country to put angling on its curriculum.

Pupils have been told they can drop classes in maths, physics, geography or woodwork for a course of lessons in both coarse and fly fishing.

Those who complete the 15 hour programme will gain a credit towards a certificate seen as the equivalent of a normal GCSE.

More than 70 pupils at Thomas Adams School in Wem are already booked to take part in a pilot study next September.
Can only be a good thing, lets hope it takes off and more schools introduce, especially those around our coastal areas!! Wish they did that in my day!

MikeJr

·
Registered
303 Posts
Brilliant idea! It may well have a knock on effect by giving some youngsters something else to do other than being a nusiance, The question it raises are where are the instructors/teachers comming from? and will they give an overall picture to our sport or just their own?, and of course the government is laughing all the way to the bank it teaches people to fish for nothing, then takes thousands of pounds off them when they start fishing in earnest, all in all a good thing though.

·
Registered
13 Posts
MikeJr said:
Just pulled from SkyText page 110...

Can only be a good thing, lets hope it takes off and more schools introduce, especially those around our coastal areas!! Wish they did that in my day!

MikeJr
hi mike your not the only one who whishes he had that in the old days now my son is going to ask his high school about that not a bad idea at all .Thanks mike 4 letting us no

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
i did it in my school. i asked a teacher who i new who liked fly fishing if there was a chance of a few of us doin a course, he sorted it for 12 of us, 2 times a week at llandeg resovoir, and 2 fly fishing champs taught us. welsh champions. ken bowring, and terry fenton . and i got on well with fenton cos he was my bros m8. it was better than doin schoolwork, and we all loved it.i used 2 travel 2 chew valley lakes on the boats for a full day, until my best m8 died unfortunately at 46yrs of age. god bless im, havent been since, wouldnt b the same i spose, but there u go. life goes on. i usually fish on his brithers boat now, sea fishing, but havent been out cos no fish yet, so come on u tinkers, hurry up..

·
Registered
4,864 Posts
Sounds like bliss doesn't it! We used to organise a day fishing on the Thames when I taught in OXford - great to get out of the classroom - the kids enjoyed it too! I can remember as an infant that all our 'nature' walks involved walking down to the Straits and looking unnder rocks for things. Is that why I enjoy collecting Peelers? I used to bring midland town kids up to the straits for a DAY to do the same 30 years later. They enjoyed it as well and hopefully developed some idea about conservation. When I taught in Somerset I got a water baliff and fish breeder to 'strip' trout in the classroom and we cared for the eggs and fry for weeks AS PART OF THEIR ONGOING WORK for CSE (in those days)

This scheme seems like a good idea or is it just to get nuisance children/young people out of the teachers' hair, and get on with teaching 'the clever ones'? Now if they can incorporate other subjects into 'fishing' great, otherwise if the students are being 'allowed' to DROP other subjects and go fishing INSTEAD aren't we in danger of denying all round education to those who need it? A historical fact in British education is that we give MORE time to students who are good at school subjects and LESS to those who are not so good!! It's not a cold blanket I just can't see the point of degrading education for some. It's down to more imaginative teaching so that turned off students can learn. Sorry!

·
Registered
311 Posts
we had this in my school in the 50s and early 60s about 8 of us used to mitch and go fishing hell to pay when teachers wrote to father to find out whats wrong

1 - 6 of 6 Posts