World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I like to read about fishing, both coarse and sea. Having read quite a few my favourites are, in reverse order:
Bass Fishing on shore and sea. John Darling
A Passion for Angling. BBC publications
The Sea Angler afloat and ashore. Des Brennan

In Brennan's book his personality and genuine love of the sport comes over beautifully (as does his dislike for dogfish and silver eels!). A joy to read and packed with information including the shore caught sharks which were the subject of a thread some weeks ago.

Any suggestions for further reading would be much appreciated.

ps Caught my first fish at Buddleigh Salterton (small dogfish) last month so am no longer an angling virgin.

·
Registered
1,850 Posts
When I was a young'un, hundreds of years ago, I learned most of what I needed from the Mr Crabtree books.

Wish I'd kept them !

·
Registered
480 Posts
Hello mate, I would recommend the following books, all by great anglers with the ability to write as well:

Sea: A Tide of Fish, Clive Gammon - captures well what it means to be an angler

Coarse: Chasing Dreams, Tony Miles - great insights from an angler with nothing to prove but who has always fished for the fun of it

Game: Sea Trout Fishing, Hugh Falkus - one of the best angling books of all time IMHO, you don't have to be into fly fishing to get something out of it

·
Registered
3,027 Posts
odes anybody know of an available copy of clive gammons aforementioned book?

·
Registered
8,191 Posts
The Guinness Guide to Saltwater Angling ... tackle is a little dated but not the classes of tackle to use for the various fish - when it came out it was well ahead of it's time as far as sporting methods was concerned and had input from a lot of the best names in sea angling at the time.

The stuff about the fish themselves, methods of fishing etc is all still as bang on today as it was in the 80s ... and though it is a good few years old it is still more up-to-date than a lot of the modern books to be honest. Well worth a read and shouldn't be too hard to find a copy in a second-hand bookshop or on ebay.

Hooked on Bass - by Vaughan and Ladle

Operation Sea Angler - you can read this online http://www.mikeladle.com/

The Beach Angler's Compendium - John Holden ... very much THE technical guide for rods, reels and casting technique.

The Angler's Year - Holden again ... bit of a favourite cos there's a picture of me in it :thumbs: .... though very few people would realise as I'm facing away from the camera :bangin:

Sea Fishing with the Baited Spoon - Garrad. Can be heavy going but chronicles the development of the method.

Shark Angling in Great Britain - Brig Caulder .... a glimpse back in time to more productive times (and a hint as to why they might not be so good today ... a lot of dead shark pics which would outrage these days).

On top of that ... absolutely anything written by Gillespie, Pullen, Darling and Gammon ... and any of the old Angling Times Yearbooks.

Most of the books above will be behind the times on tackle I hasten to add but don't let that put you off ... the authors were bloody good anglers and still would be quite frankly.

·
The Cod Obsessed one.
15,553 Posts
I know its not sea fishing, but may I suggest reading books by BB or Fred J Taylor?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts