World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone read the AT? i get it every week because i enjoy both salt and fresh water fishing.
Every week there is a whole page by Des Taylor, a man who upuntill now i really rated as a fisherman and who i agreed with about a lot of things.
However, in his latest Statement I have lost all respect for the man.
Im not sure what the law is regarding typing out the whole article (if its ok to do so let me know and ill do it) but the basics are that finally there is a chance that sea anglers are going to have to put something into the “kitty”.
That all he ever hears is sea anglers “moan” that our coastal fishing is so bad yet his “contacts” say there is still some great sport to be had (must be people with big boats and bigger nets, because I don’t know of fisherman who would say we still have GREAT sport).
He goes on to say we should stop moaning and put our hands in our pockets for once.
“You need to put something in to get something out”. This is from the same man who is ALWAYS moaning that the money from his fresh water rod licenses seems to have no benefits, due to poaching and very few bailiff patrols (which I agree with).
He also complains when an otter kills a few fish in a well stocked river (a few otter or thousands of netters, who do you think kills more?)
He was also calling for a national cull on cormorants not so long ago because they were killing freshwater fish. It’s a well agreed theory that the reason the cormorants have moved in lad for food is because the sea has been raped for so long.
It looks like its once again the theory of the blind man…… he aint seen it but he knows how it looks.
Hes a well “respected” journalist, the least he could have done was some research and tried not to contradict himself.

Rant over
thanks

·
Accepts cakes as bribes.
12,213 Posts
Des has always been outspoken and has always spoken his mind, right or wrong, you decide, that is the thing with editorials it's one journalists opinion, that's all. :)

15,082 Posts
Personally I think the man is right! There is still great fishing to be had and it is getting better all the time.The reason the cormmorants are inland is because of these silly,overstocked match ponds that are everywhere.Why would any fish eating bird be bothered with trying to find food in a vast ocean when all it has to do is stick its head under the water and a bloody great goldfish swims straight into it's gob?
Blame the land owners and councils for allowing all these ponds to be built and not the cormmorants or lack of fish in the sea for bringing sea living birds in land.

Ron

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Des has always been outspoken and has always spoken his mind, right or wrong, you decide, that is the thing with editorials it's one journalists opinion, that's all. :)
The fact he spoke his mind is why i liked him in the first place.
But like i say he contradicts himself. He says you need to put something in to get something out,and sea anglers should pay if they want to fish. But then moans that he puts money in for his licenes and gets nothing back from it.
He changes his stance to much.
Every few weeks he will say that the river cloased season should be kept, then he changes to the "scrap the cloased season" side a few weeks later.
Yer the sea is a lot bigger than rivers, but if you took the amount of fish over space,scaled down and applyed it into the rivers youd b lucky to have 1 fish every 100 yard (if that makes sence).
We have every right to moan. The sea has been taken for granted for way to long.
I really do belive that by the time my son has kids they will ask what that strange looking fish with the beard is what grandad is holding in the photo, because cod are going to end up like the doe doe. Our sport is dying.

rant number 2 over
hope you can understand what im getting at, im on heavy pain killers for my back and sometimes make no sence.
thanks

·
Registered
282 Posts
Anyone read the AT? i get it every week because i enjoy both salt and fresh water fishing.
Every week there is a whole page by Des Taylor, a man who upuntill now i really rated as a fisherman and who i agreed with about a lot of things.
However, in his latest Statement I have lost all respect for the man.
Im not sure what the law is regarding typing out the whole article (if its ok to do so let me know and ill do it) but the basics are that finally there is a chance that sea anglers are going to have to put something into the “kitty”.
That all he ever hears is sea anglers “moan” that our coastal fishing is so bad yet his “contacts” say there is still some great sport to be had (must be people with big boats and bigger nets, because I don’t know of fisherman who would say we still have GREAT sport).
He goes on to say we should stop moaning and put our hands in our pockets for once.
“You need to put something in to get something out”. This is from the same man who is ALWAYS moaning that the money from his fresh water rod licenses seems to have no benefits, due to poaching and very few bailiff patrols (which I agree with).
He also complains when an otter kills a few fish in a well stocked river (a few otter or thousands of netters, who do you think kills more?)
He was also calling for a national cull on cormorants not so long ago because they were killing freshwater fish. It’s a well agreed theory that the reason the cormorants have moved in lad for food is because the sea has been raped for so long.
It looks like its once again the theory of the blind man…… he aint seen it but he knows how it looks.
Hes a well “respected” journalist, the least he could have done was some research and tried not to contradict himself.

Rant over
thanks
DT has always tried to be big, brash, brutish and controversial on all fronts...the atypical hairy working class hero. I respect someone having the balls not to be conformist and robotically pc at every public turn, but any monikered copy has to be qualified with some substance, or opinion based on genuine hard experience. What can be tiring is the appearance of an individual authority’s penchant for the sound of their own voice.
In this instance Des is clearly suffocated by his own ignorance, or the ghostie penning his column was struggling to fill the required column inches. But an editor’s perspective is that if the copy gets people hot under the collar and up in arms…job done.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Being a great angler does not make a great man. Mr Taylor more than adequately distinguished himself from being the latter quite a while back in my book.

He's right that there is great sea fishing to be had in some parts of the country. Not so sure about sea anglers needing to put something into the kitty though.

ATB
Billy

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Personally I think the man is right! There is still great fishing to be had and it is getting better all the time.The reason the cormmorants are inland is because of these silly,overstocked match ponds that are everywhere.Why would any fish eating bird be bothered with trying to find food in a vast ocean when all it has to do is stick its head under the water and a bloody great goldfish swims straight into it's gob?
Blame the land owners and councils for allowing all these ponds to be built and not the cormmorants or lack of fish in the sea for bringing sea living birds in land.

Ron
So Ron....when was the last time you went shore angling....and what great catch did you get?
and in your opinion was the mark you fished getting better with time as a very productive shore mark?......... just interested is all.....:)

15,082 Posts
So Ron....when was the last time you went shore angling....and what great catch did you get?
and in your opinion was the mark you fished getting better with time as a very productive shore mark?......... just interested is all.....:)
I put my hands up mate.I dont shore fish,I never have in 48yrs,I absolutely hate it! Even when the great cod catches were being taken at Dungy I couldn't stand it!Most of my friend's in Essex shorefish and sometimes they actually do better than us boaters.They seem to catch ok.I have been off sick lately and been watching Henry Gilbey on Sky (Angling Month) He certainly seems to manage great beach fishing though.Then again he is a good angler,sometimes I think some anglers are not as good as they like to think they are.We have them on the boat,wont listen,want to do it there way.Some couldn't catch a fish If I employed a diver to hook them on for them.
I see catch reports on here from certain anglers that seem to catch well all the time from the shore.It really makes me think that maybe sometimes it is the anglers fault and not the lack of fish....Maybe!:g:

Ron

·
Registered
7,780 Posts
I put my hands up mate.I dont shore fish,I never have in 48yrs,I absolutely hate it! Even when the great cod catches were being taken at Dungy I couldn't stand it!Most of my friend's in Essex shorefish and sometimes they actually do better than us boaters.They seem to catch ok.I have been off sick lately and been watching Henry Gilbey on Sky (Angling Month) He certainly seems to manage great beach fishing though.Then again he is a good angler,sometimes I think some anglers are not as good as they like to think they are.We have them on the boat,wont listen,want to do it there way.Some couldn't catch a fish If I employed a diver to hook them on for them.
I see catch reports on here from certain anglers that seem to catch well all the time from the shore.It really makes me think that maybe sometimes it is the anglers fault and not the lack of fish....Maybe!:g: Ron
:clap3: :clap3:

·
King of Kings
16,043 Posts
I see catch reports on here from certain anglers that seem to catch well all the time from the shore.It really makes me think that maybe sometimes it is the anglers fault and not the lack of fish...:

that biggest pile pwp i ever heard,like u said u dont shore fish so how can u back that up,it easier to go a boat find reck and catch fish ,or use fish finder to find them.as for corrments moving inland this happing for long time,blenty of fish wel lstock ponds mite have something to do with it or lack fish sea who no's.shaggy

15,082 Posts
I see catch reports on here from certain anglers that seem to catch well all the time from the shore.It really makes me think that maybe sometimes it is the anglers fault and not the lack of fish...:

that biggest pile pwp i ever heard,like u said u dont shore fish so how can u back that up,it easier to go a boat find reck and catch fish ,or use fish finder to find them.as for corrments moving inland this happing for long time,blenty of fish wel lstock ponds mite have something to do with it or lack fish sea who no's.shaggy
Shaggy!!!......................Not fishing.........AGAIN?.....You'll catch nowt here me old mucker,need to get out there on that old beach and catch a few!:clap2:

Ron

·
King of Kings
16,043 Posts
Shaggy!!!......................Not fishing.........AGAIN?.....You'll catch nowt here me old mucker,need to get out there on that old beach and catch a few!:clap2:

Ron
weekend mate going after sliver ones and my two old first fishing trip.shaggy:giveup:

·
Accepts cakes as bribes.
12,213 Posts
I think that anyone who has come to beach fishing in the last ten years or so is probably a better angler if they can catch consistently than anglers of twenty or more years ago coming into the sport when the fish stocks were higher and didn't have to try so hard.

Shore fishing has evolved, no doubt about it, but even the boats aren't catching like they were, so I would think it's safe to say that the above also applies to boat anglers too.

As to Mr Taylors assumption that anglers are unwilling to improve their lot by stumping up their hard earned, it's clear that anglers are not that naive to believe that money equals improvements in catches, oh no sir! ;)

Des being predominantly a coarse angler (coarse in more way than one it would appear :) ) is viewing the situation through different eyes than a sea angler would seeing as the Environment Agency has made dramatic improvements to freshwater angling, if only the solution for sea anglers was so clear cut. We all know it isn't, that's why I take Des's comments with a pinch of salt (Pun intended) :)

15,082 Posts
I think that anyone who has come to beach fishing in the last ten years or so is probably a better angler if they can catch consistently than anglers of twenty or more years ago coming into the sport when the fish stocks were higher and didn't have to try so hard.

Shore fishing has evolved, no doubt about it, but even the boats aren't catching like they were, so I would think it's safe to say that the above also applies to boat anglers too.

As to Mr Taylors assumption that anglers are unwilling to improve their lot by stumping up their hard earned, it's clear that anglers are not that naive to believe that money equals improvements in catches, oh no sir! ;)

Des being predominantly a coarse angler (coarse in more way than one it would appear :) ) is viewing the situation through different eyes than a sea angler would seeing as the Environment Agency has made dramatic improvements to freshwater angling, if only the solution for sea anglers was so clear cut. We all know it isn't, that's why I take Des's comments with a pinch of salt (Pun intended) :)
Now you can see why Rob is one of the better mods! :clap3:

Ron

·
Registered
4,596 Posts
Des taylor always has been and always will be an arse!

When he can't think of anything interesting to say he gets contraversial. It's easy journalism. Any to55er can start an arguement, and the mags love it, it sells!

He did this with pike angling a few years ago. He called for a total ban on live baiting!!
Now you think us sea anglers can bitch, you want to go on a pike fishing site, it's scary.

The only time I buy angling times is when i'm stuck for something thoroughly absorving!

·
Registered
247 Posts
Well I hope they print the email I sent on tuesday to the letters page

"I suggest Mr Taylor learns the difference betwen sea fishing and coarse fishing. Does he know of any trawlers that remove thousands of tons of fish from our rivers, canals or still waters or of any companies that are extracting minerals or dredging and destroying the very habitat that the fish live in, all partly paid for by the government i.e. subsidies, aggregate orders etc. If so, I wonder would he still be happy to purchase his coarse licence and not complain about it"

He just loves to be controversial, it seems to be the only way he can get any attention lately.

·
Registered
312 Posts
I for one would happily pay for my sea fishing if I thought it would benifit me in anywhere the same way as it did in my coarse fishing days.
With the exception of the rod licence ( I think the EA does precious little good for the state of fishing) it takes money to secure fishing rights by one person on behalf of the unknown masses and then also take money to stock these waters on behalf of those members.
But what Des fails to realise is that with regards to sea fishing ( under common law we have ancient rights to fish in the sea), we are not in a position to a) stock the waters to fish (we as are the commercials are exploiting a natural resource) and b)much as we put our own house in order, with regards to conservation, we have littel or no control over those who exploit this resourece for their income.
So paying pr se for the right to fish in the sea would have no effect on the fish stocks and as aresult the quality of sea angling.
We are not in the situation of buying up afew salmon netters and improving the position on a single river, our resources are open to anyone who cares to take their boat where they please.
this is a shared resource and unfortunately some will abuse it.
We don't have the klegal control over it as we do coarse fiheries with riparian ownership.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts