World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi, i read in the paper this week that animal rights actovists did £600 of damage to a blokes lobster pots.

this is the job i want to go into when in a few years down the line, now... does any one know the score on how much/how often that these anti's/complainers with nothing else to do but moaners/losers do such damage?

any info much app'd

tight lines
joejarvy

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
Hi Joe,

I supose it really depends on where you stay, i.e which part of the country your in, some parts the anti's seem to target more than others, check it out with the police in your area to find out what damage there doing at the minute...Up here (Scotland) I havnt heard much for a couple of years about them, there was a few instances on opening day on the river Tay in Perthshire when the antis were targeting single anglers, they were going mob handed and chucking the poor guys gear into the river :mad: not alot you can do when 3 or 4 of the buggers decend on some poor guy is thr :(

Like I mentioned, check out your area with the plod, they will help big time m8

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
hi

theere have been repots about the lobster liberation army, ruining the nets and pots of local fishermen in the swanage / kimmeridge area here in dorset. they say they are doing it because of the pain caused to the lobster when cooked.

Michael :mad:

·
Registered
12,181 Posts
Perhaps they should focus their anger on the Gas Board who provide the fuel to boil them!
Some people will protest for protest's sake, perhaps the slap that was never administered as a child to make them behave, should be administered now!
blueskip

·
Registered
11 Posts
WTF!!! I dont understand why animal rights activists would target shore fisherman or small scale boat fisherman. These people must see that what fishing takes place using this method is sustainable, they should be going for the traawlers instead surely. Try to chuck my tackle in the sea ill break their legs!

·
Registered
325 Posts
I have some sympathy for the reasons of the lobster liberationists, (do they have claws) but not their methods. I have never been able to reconcile myself to boiling a creature whilst it is still alive, regardless of assurances they they nod off straight away. I have read that they can, and in many instances are, killed with a skewer into the brain, which is much more humane.

The protesters always try to select the vulnerable to make their protest. They pick on a poor absent lobster fisherman who is trying to scratch a living, wrecking his equipment to draw attention to themselves. I have already said I am uneasy about the way lobsters, and crabs, are despatched. I am even more uneasy about the way factory farmed chickens are raised and killed. Why don,t these people take on the large supermarkets who sell these chickens. Are they frightened of the big boys and pick on the easy touch. I think they are bullies and cowards.

Before somebody asks, yes I do eat chicken and crab, as I expect a great number of the protesters do. They probably would not admit it.

·
King of Kings
16,043 Posts
The lobster fishermen have strict rules on what size lobsters that they can catch and sell. Animal activists sometimes go to far because they are misinformed, but it is up to us to correctly inform people of the laws. Shaggy.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I must admit, when I was 19, I used to belong to animal rights. :( but then I grew up. :D
Man has been hunting and fishing since the dawn of time, why try and stop it now, thousands of years down the line.
There are still somethings I don't like, like fox hunting, but that is totally off topic.
Most animal rights protesters think that they should speak up for the animal that has no voice. But then again, may be the lobsters want a nice warm place. Who knows.

·
Registered
7,886 Posts
We are all hunters. We evolved to be so a long time back. The tragedy is that hunting on an individual basis is being wiped out in favour of the chase for that modern equivalent - digitally transferred finance. Money is a completely abstract thing when you think about it. Meaningless if there's no naturally-available food in the long term. Something to do with severe weather or an eruption or tsunami and it all goes tits-up and Tesco etc are emptied of stocks....then what do people do?

If the sh*t hits the fan with humanity we'd all be really popular by getting piles of dogfish, with which to feed the incapable masses, who never, ever, stopped and took a moment's realistic look at the natural world around them, because it has become sanitised beyond belief, and I bet they'd still complain that it didn't taste very nice!

I make this prediction: if the sh*t hits the fan, a well-sussed sea angler will never go hungry, even if tea's not that exciting!

Sorry to rant on but that's how I feel about society! We were hunters, we are hunters and always will be, as a species!

Cheers - John

·
Registered
15 Posts
John, I couldn't agree more. We didn't become the dominant species on this planet by being nice to other creatures. A lot of the problem seems to be the personification of animals (Bambi, Basil Brush, Nemo etc...). The line between fact and fiction has become blurred in the eyes of Animal rights protesters. They might be surprised to know that Foxes really don't wear waistcoats and monacles! And they'll probably be the first to start griping when their bins are getting turned over every night.
I'm certainly not in favour of unecessary cruelty but I will defend my right to feed myself and my family by whatever means I choose and if that means dropping a Lobster into boiling water, well yum yum... :)

·
Registered
158 Posts
Mate i usedto do alot of course fishing in dorset and you have the self righteous people turning up in there leather loafers or boots abusing you there were even a few people assaulted on the river bank,the local angling club even told people not to react to them as it would just make it worse.
I can tell you one thing after about six years of amateur boxing any of these jumped up parasites that don't know there ringpiece from there elbow wants to try abd either assault me or throw my tackle in the river they can be my guest as i WON'T be taking the advice of my former fishing club.I may even throw them in or use a finger or two as pike bait.
Sorry if i've offended anyone its just these activists get on my goat when they go around bullying school kids on the river bank and threatening them this to me equals BULLYING by adults who should know better,why don't they pick on the people who walk arond with guns shooting small animals and deer or are they scared because they know that shooters would have none of there crap.
As everyone knows you don't kill freshwater fish as you can't eat them and most commercial fisheries ban anything that is going to have either a detrimental effect on either the fish or enviroment,most places even make you discenfect your nets and mats before fishing to prevent the spread of disease.
As you can tell i feel pretty strongly about this as i grew up being hounded by them from the age of six onwards.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Well guys welcome to the world of the antis ,by taking the brunt of thier activities the hunting fraturnity have been protecting fishermen for years.Very few anglers bothered to show support for the hunters whenasked infact many jumped on the bandwagon of calling for a ban,what did you expect now that hunting is out of the way ,that they'ed all cut thier hair buy a suit and get a job!!.We fishermen are arrogant in the extreme if we think we can go around beating these people up, thats just what they want as they go to press accusing bully fishermen of assult.Here in this forum its been suggested they should pick on people with guns who shoot little animals . Well I'm one of those people I also fish,we should be getting organised instead of dissing everyother country sport before we find ourselves alone with no one willing to help because we were not there for them

·
Registered
158 Posts
i'm not suggesting they pick on peoplewith guns,i'm just saying funny how they don't.i grew up in the countryside where most bloodsports are pastimes and livlihoods

·
Registered
465 Posts
Come on guys, this is just the sort of thing the antis want. I shoot and fish, so did my farther and my farthers farther and i also wish my two lads to follow on in the family pastimes. You will be playing right into the antis hands if you start to run down shooting sports, do you fish for the pot or sport? be very careful how you answer that as dragging fish ashore with hooks in them and realising them for sporting reasons may be a little hard for the antis to understand. All anglers will do well to remember that since the demise of foxhunting shooting is the only buffer between the antis and your sport. Please dont be naive enough to think the ban everything brigade will be sitting back in a warm glow of glory since the defeat of the hunting fraternity. They wont and will be onto the next issue on the agenda SHOOTING, :mad: yes after that no prizes for correctly answering FISHING in all its shapes and forms will be the next victim. Dont take my word for it sit back and do nothing, why should you care about the shooters? just dont go asking me for any help as the antis turn up and sling you in the briny.

Sorry to rant guys, its a subject very dear to me.

Regards to you all Ryan :D

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
A guy at work likes to shoot. I think he managed to get 160 grouse once in a day. He had a great day he said. I asked how many he kept, none he said, don't like the taste.

I don't see the point in killing for the sake of killing - I thought clay pigeons or targets were for people who like to shoot, this guy just likes to kill things. I don't have a problem with shooting for the table, nor do I have a problem with killing to protect livestock - I do disagree with the guy above who just likes to kill though - I just don't see the point in it. Is it a macho man thing?

The kicking of lesser spotted dogfish around the beach is killing for the sake of killing, and those who participate are no different to the guy above.

I do agree with peoples right to fish and hunt to feed the family. It is only food to me, but to kill and discard your take is a strange pastime. Does it make you feel good or powerful or something?

·
Registered
465 Posts
The numbers game in shooting is not what it’s all about (for me anyway). I will say however the grouse your friend shot would have been sold to a game dealer, this would go some way towards funding the shoot he was on, so the birds were not wasted. The very same thing can be said of lots of open angling matches, vast numbers of unwanted fish being killed for the weigh in, however their is no game dealer waiting to pick them up, the poor little bodies get slung unto the sea to feed the crabs and gulls. Not all matches I know, lots are on a point’s basis however, people in glass houses and all that!!!! Let’s put our own sport in order before we admonish other sportsmen.

I should have said I was a Wildfowler and an Angler as my shooting and fishing is all about the sustainable harvest of wild food. We also enjoy foraging in the hedgerows for wild berries and fungus. I have very broad shoulders and fully expect other users of this forum to take me to task, however I am not prepared
To skulk in the dark and not stand up for my rights or the rights of my fellow sportsmen

Ryan.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Our angling club unfortunately does not operate a catch and return points system as the majority of members don't want it. As a result I will not on principle take anything to the scales that I cannot then take home for the table. ( I will never be club champion I know but so what? I don't want to be rewarded for killing the most pout in a year...) However for those that do, we have a large plastic sack available for everyone to put their unwanted fish into which is taken the following day to the local RSPCA centre. The fish are used to feed their animals and so are not entirely wasted.
This does not sovle the problem of killing for the sake of it but is a better option than dumping dead fish in the tide..

I have also done my fair share of shooting in the past and am only too aware that as an angler, shooting, hunting etc.. has kept the heat off us, but it is only a matter of time before the attention of the antis is focused on us...

·
Registered
183 Posts
Well explained Ryan its important people know that all these birds arn't wasted,as you said lets get our own house in order or the antis will wipe the floor with us , like you I only wildfowl and eat what I shoot,many fishermen are wasteful and leave the marks in a mess,we have to get organised coz one things for sure as you and I know the antis are

·
Registered
465 Posts
rma, thanks for the support, i rather expected a deluge of posts telling me Im bang (forgive me the pun) out of order. shooting and fishing complement one another as far as i am concerned, they are for me part of my life not just hobbies, hence my rant on the subject.

Im really not very political Im just a little tired of having to constantly defend my way of life, especially as i usually find myself defending my actions against people with little or no knowlede of the subjects they are attacking.

All the very best to you all Ryan.

rma, straight powder and tight lines :D

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
Ryan said:
The numbers game in shooting is not what it’s all about (for me anyway). I will say however the grouse your friend shot would have been sold to a game dealer, this would go some way towards funding the shoot he was on, so the birds were not wasted. The very same thing can be said of lots of open angling matches, vast numbers of unwanted fish being killed for the weigh in, however their is no game dealer waiting to pick them up, the poor little bodies get slung unto the sea to feed the crabs and gulls. Not all matches I know, lots are on a point’s basis however, people in glass houses and all that!!!! Let’s put our own sport in order before we admonish other sportsmen.

I should have said I was a Wildfowler and an Angler as my shooting and fishing is all about the sustainable harvest of wild food. We also enjoy foraging in the hedgerows for wild berries and fungus. I have very broad shoulders and fully expect other users of this forum to take me to task, however I am not prepared
To skulk in the dark and not stand up for my rights or the rights of my fellow sportsmen

Ryan.

Ryan m8

I dont think I could have put it any better, I have been shooting/fishing since I was 8 years old...well fishing since I was 8 years old.... I now mainly do my shooting on the hills for deer. yes I can hear some of you forum members saying cruel git etc. etc poor bambis..... BUT ! are you all vegans ? I eat everything I shoot/catch

Couple of years back we had a big pro hunting/shooting march up here in Edinburgh, YES we had a great turn out, BUT! the fishing fraternity was sadly lacking from the masses, end result was a ban on hunting, like previous threads have mentioned huntings gone, next on the agenda for the antis is fishing

BE WARNED GUYS, THE BALLS IN YOUR COURT !

1 - 20 of 61 Posts