World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys,

Can you please tell me whether there is any difference between the geniune Anker Yanker or products such as the anchor retrival kit advertised on ebay (item number 120095320536)?

Cheers

Cloudy

C

·
0 Posts
That is an Alderney Ring setup, but similar in design in that you can clip it to the anchor rope after letting it out. I think you could make something similar up for a lot less money though.

·
Registered
595 Posts
hi cloudy /cascars is that not the anchor yanka??it has the detachable ring cascars is right though expensive for what it is, have dealt with that company a few times and would highly recommend cheers steve

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Cheers guys. Was thinking it was expensive but compared to the anka yanker its fairly cheap. Would you recommend constructing something similar rather than purchasing these ready made retrival kits?

C

·
0 Posts
Compare the two side by side. It is not actually an Anka Yanka and is probably not quite as easy to use.

·
Registered
9,527 Posts
Cheers guys. Was thinking it was expensive but compared to the anka yanker its fairly cheap. Would you recommend constructing something similar rather than purchasing these ready made retrival kits?
What Cascars has illustrated is exactly what I have been using for the last xxx years. I bought one in the USA for a few dollars, it would cost very little to have made up here. Certainly a lot less complex, costly and cumbersome that the Anka Yanka.

·
Registered
5,557 Posts
I have made up loads of the rings and split rings for people, they take me 15 min for the solid ring and 30 min for the split ring. If you have someone local who can stainless weld I wouldn't have thought it would cost more than £15-£20. You could also just use the spring clip if you could source on big enough.

Keep your eyes open when you are out and you can often find a suitable buoy drifting or washed up on the beach. I probably pick up 4 or 5 a year, best one last year was adrift with a complete tangle of 12mm nylon rope, chain and danforth anchor underneath it.

·
Registered
2,143 Posts
I have made up loads of the rings and split rings for people, they take me 15 min for the solid ring and 30 min for the split ring. If you have someone local who can stainless weld I wouldn't have thought it would cost more than £15-£20. You could also just use the spring clip if you could source on big enough.

Keep your eyes open when you are out and you can often find a suitable buoy drifting or washed up on the beach. I probably pick up 4 or 5 a year, best one last year was adrift with a complete tangle of 12mm nylon rope, chain and danforth anchor underneath it.
I use the anchor yanka myself but I cant see that they are any better than the split ring

·
Registered
360 Posts
Watched Rex Hunt use this system ,but once the anchor was under the bouy instead of pulling it in he just left it trailing behind the boat until he got to the next mark.Is that common practice

·
Registered
2,143 Posts
Watched Rex Hunt use this system ,but once the anchor was under the bouy instead of pulling it in he just left it trailing behind the boat until he got to the next mark.Is that common practice
can be done but if you where going any distance it would be an u nessisary drag and affect economy ect

·
Registered
5,557 Posts
Plus if it is set up right and the weight of the chain is slightly heavier than the anchor when you stop at the new mark the anchor will stay in the ring. You will have to haul it in to drop the anchor

·
Registered
11,447 Posts
I have an alternative to the Anka Yanka....Called a Kiwiklaw. Way easier and a lot safer i think.Check this out. http://www.kiwiklaw.co.nz .
Wow - the 'World' bit of 'World Sea Fishing' has lived up to its name - visitors from New Mexico and New Zealand overnight!

Afraid you'd be on a hiding to nothing with that device in the UK though - no one uses anchor rope that thin here - if you want to haul by hand (as I do), actually gripping the rope is not a problem.

The Anka Yanka or Alderney recovery is designed to remove the 'work' of hauling by hand, so your device, whilst no doubt very handy for pulling on a thin rope, is not really a substitute.

·
Registered
951 Posts
Stainless steve sells the ring and the triangle to hold the bouy off prob a couple of quid dearer than most but puka made stuff

·
Registered
84 Posts
Another is uk yacht rigging and supplies on ebay, just got one of their set-ups and mine had the polyform bouy which I understand is quite good quality (could be wrong). Gidds.

·
Registered
148 Posts

Would you be prepared to make and post one?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts