World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2 of us , me and bryn, started fishing down at rochester an hour or so before low tide today. Nobody else fishing, no wind and loads of sun.

After an hour or so we spotted a couple of fish further along the wall, one biggy and the other a small fish.

A few people turned up just along from us, same time as we started to get some good bites. We had a couple of fish in our area for a while,we both had quite a few bites but with it being slack water the fish were just sucking the bread off the hook, frustrating!.

The other people also dropped a bread bag down so they could target the mullet, but their mate started blasting leads out right next to them, not good tactics when u need it nice and quiet for mullet, and their other mate was casting out a plug for bass,strange.

We carried on but the bites dissapeared, so after a while i decided to move up 50 yds, my mate bryn stayed in his spot.

After a while i had a small twitch, resulted in nothing. At 3.40 pm i finally had a decent bite, fish on, tide was ripping through as it was 2hours before high tide. The surging runs of the fish in the tide were giving me high hopes of a new pb mullet, i could see bryn was getting bored waiting with the net, finally, 47mins later!!!!!!!! , and 30yds along the wall, a very lively and hard fighting 4lb mullet was netted, in my new drop net. bit dissapointed with the size of the fish but with the tide running hard it felt alot bigger.

We fished on,bryn had a bite a bit later on , eager to get his first mullet of the year , but that was it. The search for my pb and bryns first mullet of the year continues.

Saw a few schoolies and an eel caught by the guys on our right, and people up to our left were catching pouts. bryn got a few pics. Next session selsey fri night.

Cap Hand Baseball cap Elbow Fish

Net Mesh Wire fencing Net sports

Pattern Swimming pool Composite material Reflection Condominium

Pattern

Pattern Grey Circle Silver

·
Registered
27 Posts
you are honerd only medway ports and now u get me to ease down lol
o nice fish old chap looks like u took the fiver back from bryn

·
Registered
2,685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thats a small one to be honest. another mate was targetting mullet further along on another of the warfs along that stretch, he landed a plump 7.8lb mullet just after i had mine.

·
Registered
2,685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Neither method is used , hehe. If ur ledgering u`ll just get crabs munching the bread , and float fishing u gotta be constantly looking over the wall watching the float, so u`ll spook the fish.

·
Registered
209 Posts
ha ha i see mr wadhams has to have his say!! sorry to disapoint him but there was no fivers up for grabs today!! does he really think it wud of gone in the net first time??? dan really played to the passing cruisers i rolled and smoked 3 **** and nearly run me camera battery out waiting!!! bit disapointed mr wadhams digs at me when i gave him mega praise as rochesters top skipper on my report yesterday, mite have to revise my report after all we was fishing on another skippers top mark!!!!!

·
Registered
251 Posts
Very well done!
When I was a lad we used to catch mullet from an outflow pipe at Kemsley paper mill on maddies on size 10 fresh water hooks. We used an 18 inch hooklink of 5-8lb line attached to a flounder spoon with another 18 inch link to a big pike float. We would keep winding at a regular speed and you could see 2 or 3 fish attracted by the spoon starting to compete with each other for the bait. We just kept on winding until one of the fish went for the bait and hooked itself.
It was great fun. The turbulence from the outflow pipe was important I'm sure. We would also have the odd bass amongst the mullet. Happy days but over 45 years ago now!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts