World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, well........Been thinking (and looking for) a slightly newer engine for my boat as my 90 Yam is really rather old now (it's an early to mid 80s two stroke).
It still works ok and has never let me down apart from an issue with when going into neutral and then back into gear it stalls and you have to re-start it (most times but not always).
Now this makes it annoying and (could be) possibly dangerous when manoeuvring in harbours and if you need to move "quickly" for some reason if you know what I mean, although it's got around by revving up in neutral and dropping it into gear while the revs are up a little.
Hence why I have been looking at maybe another one......Can't afford "new" but newer should be better 馃榿
But now I've also been looking at doing a Pod 馃槃 so I can "close up" the splash well area and in doing so increase the deck space by putting in an underfloor fuel tank ect.......
OOOooooo i'm in a quandary about what to do :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:
If Pod what's the measurements I need to know to get it right for the engine, any help appreciated (y)
Also if anyone's got a decent "newer than mine" 90 ish HP outboard they want to sell let me know, but I haven't got "Thousands" to spend and it needs to be a "good runner" ........

Premium Member
Sounds you to need a new boat Dev.
You to be itching for a project again anyway.... be honest 馃ぃ
To work onto getting the outboard first i would to say.
Once that does to be sorted you will to either forget the pod idea or it will to eat at you until you do to to chomp to get it done.
No point to make the pod first as to have no doubt you will to see 2x50hps and then to scratch your head about the pod to fit dual engines.

Lovely to see you back. Hope all does to be well with you. Xxx

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sounds you to need a new boat Dev.
You to be itching for a project again anyway.... be honest 馃ぃ
馃榿 Your right LHP, I'd love the challenge........But my body say's NO no no no no no no :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
To work onto getting the outboard first i would to say.
Once that does to be sorted you will to either forget the pod idea or it will to eat at you until you do to to chomp to get it done.
I think your right again here, the engine IS more important as i'm looking to push a bit more off shore.
That is when I get the time to get out 馃槃
And i'll also get the pod done at some point 馃榿
No point to make the pod first as to have no doubt you will to see 2x50hps and then to scratch your head about the pod to fit dual engines.
I doubt it about twins tho as I prefer single, but it is an option
Lovely to see you back. Hope all does to be well with you. Xxx
Thank you x
And I hope all is well now with you, as I was catching up on some posts and seen you say what had happened 馃槩

Registered
Try Bill Higham Marine - they were recently advertising a batch of late 90hp two stroke Yamahas - and when I bought my engine, the only place that would take my existing engine in part ex.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Try Bill Higham Marine - they were recently advertising a batch of late 90hp two stroke Yamahas - and when I bought my engine, the only place that would take my existing engine in part ex.
Thank's Clinker (y) I have looked on his site recently but there was nothing advertised.
I'll have to give him a call.
see if garry will make you a pod like mine dude
Thank's Cornish, I have already thought of doing that when ready (y)
Would save me doing it ...... and that's a bonus 馃槃

Registered
Hi all. Well there you go, I'm off to look at a 2009 Tohatsu 140 tomorrow :)
If all goes well I shall be re-powering my boat very soon 馃榿
Wow, that's great engines. Good luck, hope you'll make a good deal. Having 140 hp engine you'll need to rename your boat to "Manic Torpedo" hahaha!

Registered
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
It's sweet as a nut and I have bought it at a good price :) .
Couple bits to sort tho, one thing is the prop, it's hit something fairly hard and damaged the tips of the blades so it will have to be sorted but it may be wrong for my boat anyway (as it was on a rib).
Also it's slightly more than a few inches too tall and will hit the splash well at full tilt, so it's either make the splash well bigger, or maybe a jack plate or something (not sure), or.........Do the Pod 馃榿
All suggestions welcome :)(y)

Registered
A Jack plate with enough set back to allow the engine to tilt and not hit the splashwell is probably the easiest and cheapest - will also allow you to experiment with the best height nice and easily.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
A Jack plate with enough set back to allow the engine to tilt and not hit the splashwell is probably the easiest and cheapest - will also allow you to experiment with the best height nice and easily.
Yes that was my first thoughts, any info on what type I should get as never had any dealings with that sort of thing before and not sure.
Going to have a look on "evilbay" after catching up on here but as said i've never even looked at them before

Registered
The aforementioned Bill Higham Marine do them - never bought one myself but I鈥檓 sure Simon or Aled would happily talk you through the options.
I鈥檇 also go for spreader plates for the inside of the transom (something I do have on my boat)

Registered
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Right i have made the decision......
Old 90 Yam coming off and my "new to me" Tohatsu 140 is "hopefully" being lifted on on Saturday :)
Decided to go with altering the splash well, and at the same time i'm going to add a couple lays of woven roven (or whatever it's called 馃槃) into the corners to strengthen the transom.
Just for my own piece of mind even though I already know it will be good enough :)
Reason for this decision is the probability of a pod in the not to distant future 馃榿

Registered
Lovely! Looking forward to the finished job mate. Do you think you'd be able to get this all done this season and will go out before the winter hits?

Reactions: manicdev

Registered
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Lovely! Looking forward to the finished job mate. Do you think you'd be able to get this all done this season and will go out before the winter hits?
Probably not the pod buddy, but there's always hope 馃槃 馃槃 馃槃
The prop looks to have had a "close encounter" with some rocks or something but before getting it repaired i'm going to do some "remedial" works to it and give it a try, as I know the wot for the engine but don't know how it is going to be on my boat as it came off a rib.
That way I get a starting point.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts