World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Eight o'clock tonight, bored. Phone rang: Craig from Blackpool, did I fancy a go, as he had bait needed using up. I didn't need asking twice. Driving conditions horrendous near Kendal but improved as I drove South.

We then proceeded to sit/stand in the rain (mainly) for some four and a half hours. To no avail. Complete blank, as did the others who stopped for a chat. The Police stopped, and we thought we were about to be slung off. However he was distributing descriptions of a vulnerable missing person.

Craig (who is yet to join wsf: computer issues....) took pity on either me or gulp me dog (who was sitting on my seat), by donating a bean bag. Major browie points from the hound who took to it immediately.

Apologies to anybody down wind of us - I was using some of the rankest squid known. The theory was it would stun any passing fish. In fact it probably drove them across to IOM or indeed USA.

Thought it was doggie catching conditions, but they must have flown.

·
Registered
4,982 Posts
unlucky dave , but i think all this fresh water has summat to do with it , there are loads of underground streams that ooze out under the sand at blackpool , keeping the salinity of the water near the shore very low and hence no fish comming close enough to catch ( thats my theory anyway )

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
yes gulp its bad enough trying to catch fish that swim never mind flying doggies,next time i am out will be trying bird seed on a size 1 hook, cant do any worse than worm.

·
Registered
821 Posts
unlucky dave , but i think all this fresh water has summat to do with it , there are loads of underground streams that ooze out under the sand at blackpool , keeping the salinity of the water near the shore very low and hence no fish comming close enough to catch ( thats my theory anyway )
Good point and of course Blackpool is between 2 large estuaries with heaps of fresh water coming down boosted by all the rain lately. Add to this my theory that there are much fewer micro-organisms (beginning of the food chain) in the sea here since the beaches and sea have been cleaned up - less raw sewage. Then we have the constantly changing and unseasonable weather (global warming?), which must confuse the fish species as much as us, not knowing just what season it is anymore and hence where they should be at any given time & you might have an explanation for the cr*p fishing?

Phil :wacko:

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Good point and of course Blackpool is between 2 large estuaries with heaps of fresh water coming down boosted by all the rain lately. Add to this my theory that there are much fewer micro-organisms (beginning of the food chain) in the sea here since the beaches and sea have been cleaned up - less raw sewage. Then we have the constantly changing and unseasonable weather (global warming?), which must confuse the fish species as much as us, not knowing just what season it is anymore and hence where they should be at any given time & you might have an explanation for the cr*p fishing?

Phil :wacko:
However.............................

Some blokes seem to catch consistently:g:and well done to them.
Could it be the extra distance the pier gives them?
Could it be technique/knowledge?
Could it be luck?
Could it be I'm talking talking sh?t?:whistling

·
Registered
821 Posts
However.............................

Some blokes seem to catch consistently:g:and well done to them.
Could it be the extra distance the pier gives them?
Could it be technique/knowledge?
Could it be luck?
Could it be I'm talking talking sh?t?:whistling
Could be any of those Phil.
Let's face it we've tried since manking began to understand women without much success, even though we can communicate with them...., what chance therefore to understand the fish!

Phil :whistling

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The pier anglers do seem to get better results. I'm a bloody awful caster, so distance might be an issue! The sewerage theory has been mentioned to me before.

So we have:

no distance
no fishy food
no salt

I must be a bloody genius......I caught a fish last week:laugh:

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
HMMMMM..................
If lack of salinity is to blame,how come they catch codling half way up the Tyne/Mersey/etc?
No food? You just have to look on the low water line to see how much natural food there is available.

Maybe this is just a crap year in the great cycle of things.
Having said that,summer isn't over...yet.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
HMMMMM..................
If lack of salinity is to blame,how come they catch codling half way up the Tyne/Mersey/etc?
No food? You just have to look on the low water line to see how much natural food there is available.

Think I'll have that as a tattoo!!

·
Registered
821 Posts
HMMMMM..................

Another good point there Phil about fish up stream. The food thing though may well be answered by what you say about the low water line, with lots of the stuff avilable out there. Maybe, there's enough food further out & with the cleaner beaches (there's definitely nowhere near as many blow lug beds closer in as there used to be) the fish have no need to search towards high water marks & simply fill their bellies out at and beyond low water?
Will we ever know for sure - I doubt it.

Phil:g:

·
Registered
2,875 Posts
I THINK ITS JUST :oops:
lack of fish chaps you can theorise all you want roll on winter when hopefully the cod will show and ever hungry whiting
dont forget if you read about it you have missed it :cry:

·
Registered
821 Posts
Here's hoping Tony !!!! We'll all be checking the Irish Sea Model online to see what the surface temps are and when it cools down for the winter fish to move in - wasn't long ago we were watching for it to warm up!!!!
LOL. :roll1:

Still it's optimism we need so no more moaning 'eh lads...:bangin:

Phil :fishing1:

·
Registered
2,875 Posts
Here's hoping Tony !!!! We'll all be checking the Irish Sea Model online to see what the surface temps are and when it cools down for the winter fish to move in - wasn't long ago we were watching for it to warm up!!!!
LOL. :roll1:

I would rather fish the winter less traffic and ppl walking about
more options in winter love going over to the mersey cod and whiting bashing slim pickings here in summer:wacko: if you don't have a go you will never know

·
Registered
1,487 Posts

at the moment phil the moaning is better than the fishing,so keep on moaning lads:clap2::clap2::clap2:
and tony in the winter months i love fishing the mersey to.(back on home turf) bu i find itts sad that most of the liverpool coastline is now out of bounds to most anglers,and the places that are fishable get so crowded it makes it so hard to fish that its hardly worth the bother as its like combat fishing, we should lobby the harbour board and our mp,s to open the dock walls back up to give everyone access to the riverside,not just the chosen few,who have a letter from god.
The liverpool side,i have always found to be better than the wirral side with deep water close in ,where else can you drop a line down the wall into 30 foot of water at low tide around here, its a crime, ok rant over ,start moaning again

·
Registered
4,982 Posts
at the moment phil the moaning is better than the fishing,so keep on moaning lads:clap2::clap2::clap2:
and tony in the winter months i love fishing the mersey to.(back on home turf) bu i find itts sad that most of the liverpool coastline is now out of bounds to most anglers,and the places that are fishable get so crowded it makes it so hard to fish that its hardly worth the bother as its like combat fishing, we should lobby the harbour board and our mp,s to open the dock walls back up to give everyone access to the riverside,not just the chosen few,who have a letter from god.
The liverpool side,i have always found to be better than the wirral side with deep water close in ,where else can you drop a line down the wall into 30 foot of water at low tide around here, its a crime, ok rant over ,start moaning again
agreed billy , seaforth rocks was one of my favourite places for big cod , but like you said " you need a letter from god " to fish it now :schmoll:

·
Registered
4,982 Posts
HMMMMM..................

or is it ,,, if there is more sea water flowing up the rivers in a dryer spell , thats what takes the sea fish up there , and if there is more fresh water flowing down , then you have a crap days fishing ( as on the mersey )
ps; ime talking about the incomming tide

·
Registered
2,875 Posts
or is it ,,, if there is more sea water flowing up the rivers in a dryer spell , thats what takes the sea fish up there , and if there is more fresh water flowing down , then you have a crap days fishing ( as on the mersey )
ps; ime talking about the incomming tide
THINK YOU ARE RIGHT cubby always avoid the mersey when its been raining but after a dry spell it can fish well had some nice cod last year
but the crabs can be a pain in the arris will be down there as soon as they start to show we will have to have a meet for those who have not yet had a go at the mersey should be a good crack

1 - 19 of 19 Posts