World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to have a go at fishing at night and need to buy a headlamp

I can't justify spending £70 on an apex which seems to be the popular choice at the moment. So I think I have narrowed it down to one of these three.

Princeton Tec Quad
Princeton Tec EOS
Petzl Tikka XP

Has anyone had any experience with the first two - I searched the forum but could not find anything

For anyone looking for a light this website is really useful:

http://www.flashlightreviews.com

Princeton Tec Quad review
Princeton Tec EOS review
Petzl Tikka XP review

All three seem to have plus's and minus's so I can't make up my mind - could you all please make it up for me?

Paulie

·
The people's moral compass
12,847 Posts
i would certainly consider spending the dough on a better (rehcargable) headlamp, both speleo and mfa do good ones around the £60 mark,

i was just like you, about 18months ago, I figured i'd only fish nights on rare occasions, so bought a petzl halogen for £25, the batteries are £4 a pop, when i finally emptied my battery recycle box last week, i had almost 30 batteries, thats £120 worth, and doesn't include the ones i've thrown away with old bait wrappers etc ! so an extra few bob now, will ultimately save alot more bob !

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
Not sure what your budget is mate but i picked up a speleo FX anglers lamp also with mod c twin bulb lamp upgrade and titan harness for £40 off of ebay a little while ago (RRP £129). It a tremendous piece of kit and totally bomb proof, it will last forever. If i had to get rid of all my gear but only keep one bit of it, my trusty speleo would be it. If you have a little pateniece there are still the odd bargain to be had on ebay

·
Registered
11,228 Posts
think wkat you will actually need it for.

if he area your fishing is partially lit from local light nearby then a small headlamp will suffice. if your out i the middle of knowhere and its going to be black then a quality lamp with a good beam is a must for safety.

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
Unless you are fishing on rocks, or some other dubious location where safety is a real concern I see no need for the human lighthouse approach. I use a Petzel Myo XP and regularly fish nights, in fact during the winter it's about the only time I get out. I never take anything else with me (well OK, a cheap backup just in case) and always have sufficient light. I would fully recommend a decent LED headlight with at least a 1W bulb for pretty much any situation.

I understand that people have concerns about batteries, get rechargeables. A set of 2400mAh can be had for around £15 and will go for several hundred charges while lasting probably longer than normal batteries.

·
Registered
2,106 Posts
again i rarely use a headlight but the petzl would do fine unless you were perched on an isolated rock
back up your led with a good waterproof torch though theres times you might need to look out into the murk and leds are pants for that even the best ones dont come close to a maglight or similar kryton bulbed torch
you might consider a 7/9 led cheap headlight they give of a decent work by light
allbeit like most leds blueish

·
Registered
424 Posts
I use a Princeton Tec Apex 3 watt LED headlamp, which I can thoroughly recommend. It takes 4 AA batteries and when used on the power saving mode, which is adequate for most of the time, the batteries have a life of up to 150 hours. That's just under 15p for a 6hr session assuming the batteries cost £4. As I already have a set of rechargeables the running cost is negligible. Though the lamp itself is not cheap at around £70 this is reasonable compared to the cost of a similarly powerful rechargeable halogen type.

In addition to four normal LEDs that give a wide pool of light that is perfectly adequate for baiting up, etc., the lamp has a high output LED and when this is switched on it gives a powerful 56 metre beam. This 'human lighthouse' mode allows me to pick out a fish in the surf and to see when a fish is on the surface and ready for lifting when fishing piers. I've used single mode lamps in the past and I find the dual mode a definite advantage for the type of fishing I do.

The Princeton is amazingly light and comfortable to wear and there is no awkward lead running to a heavy battery waist pack. Even if you don't want a lamp with a powerful beam, LEDs are the way to go. Petzl and others produce good, basic ones that are almost featherlight and even more economical to run. I carry one of these as a spare. Though I haven't used either the Quad or the EOS I think that the former would make a good second choice to the Apex.

LED technology is improving all the time and this is the way to go if you're thinking of spending a wad of cash on a new lamp. Emergency services are beginning to swith to LED headlamps and I think that soon the old lead acid battery/halogen bulb variety will become extinct.

If anyone still wants the old type then they ought to be appearing more and more frequently and selling at lower and lower prices on Ebay as anglers switch to LED types. But on the other hand as volumes of sales increase then the price of the latter ought also to decrease.

Cheers,

John

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Unless you are fishing on rocks, or some other dubious location where safety is a real concern I see no need for the human lighthouse approach. I use a Petzel Myo XP and regularly fish nights, in fact during the winter it's about the only time I get out. I never take anything else with me (well OK, a cheap backup just in case) and always have sufficient light. I would fully recommend a decent LED headlight with at least a 1W bulb for pretty much any situation.

I understand that people have concerns about batteries, get rechargeables. A set of 2400mAh can be had for around £15 and will go for several hundred charges while lasting probably longer than normal batteries.

So you can use Rechargeables in the MYO? - on the review site I posted it says Alkaline. I ask because the EOS review states Alkaline/Lithium or rechargable can be used but the Tikka XP and Myo XP just says Alkaline (and definitely no lithium according to petzl!)

I already have a decent charger that can cope with AA or AAA size rechargables.

One of the issues with petzl headlamps seems to be the fact the output is not regulated so you get a contant but slow decrease in light output. Compared with Princeton Tec which seems to stay constant and drops suddenly after a few hours. Do you notice this with the petzl myo?

Myo doesn't appear to be very waterproof either compared to the Princetons - does it cope with rain ok?

I am new to fishing and have never fished at night so I will only be fishing in safe places either from the shore or from a pier. (Although there is no or very little ambient light in the areas)

So I only think I will need the light for baiting/rigging up/watching the tip from a few feet away .

I would prefer it to be as light as possible which is why the EOS or Quad with AAA batteries look good (And the tikka XP)

I aint spending more than about £40.

Looking like the TIKKA or MYO XP at the moment which I have seen for £41. Is the MYO significantly better than the TIKKA in terms of light output? (3Watt versus 1Watt)

grrrrrr...decisions!!!

Thanks for your replies

Paulie

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
Paulie,

I've had no problems using rechargables with the Myo XP, can't really see why they should cause a drama to be honest.

On the dimming front, yes there is a dimming, but I use it on either middle or low power setting so batteries last yonks and you'll not notice it over a session, only if you put in fresh batteries after two or three trips and even then it's not a huge difference, just recharge them after use. If you want to use something on high power for several hours then get something with power regulation as you will notice the difference, especially as you get tired. :unsure:

Waterproofness, honest answer is I've not had any dramas, but to be honest as it's sat on me bonce I try to keep as dry as possible! :)

Brightness wise it's more than ample for baiting and watching the rod tip. You can bump up the power to see fish in the surf too. If all you are bothered about is tip watching and baiting up then the Energizer one at about £10 with two white and one red LED is sufficent, it's my backup lamp will do the job by itself.

Bootster

·
Registered
706 Posts
I also use a Myo XP and it's a cracking piece of kit. So small and light and yet it emits more than ample light for most situations. The only time it may fall short is when fishing from high up rock/cliff marks.

The best thing about it is it has a diffuser which flips down to create a wide flood of light that lights up the whole area around you - no more turning your head to see what's right next to you!

I run mine on NiMH 2500mAH rechargeables and usually get around 4-5 trips before a recharge. No problems with waterproofing either. Get one now, you won't regret it!:)

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
Keep your eyes open on eBay mate. Got my PrincetonTec Apex for £40 and used only a couple of times for walking a dog at night!

On the strength of how good it is I've got rid of my Tiga and Coleman Northstar!

·
Registered
61 Posts
do a google search for princeton tec apex you can get them from the states for around £36!!

brilliant headlamp cant fault it:clap3:

i use with 2500mah rechargeables:)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts