Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hiya,

As you say it's not the best of Pics but it certainly looks like a Corkwing.. well done :clap3:
Thanks Davy, i'll take your word for it as you know your stuff :)

·
Registered
706 Posts
As always seems to be the case with these threads, insufficient/ low quality pics..... i think this, he thinks that etc etc.... impossible to tell for sure..... next please!!!

(Having said that, if the lighting/focus was sorted on that pic, I would have been able to decide 99.9% certain.... my educated guess is corkwing though.... oh god i'm doing it now!!!)

·
She Pirate and Global Moderator
12,629 Posts
Looks like a corkwing to me,

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
As always seems to be the case with these threads, insufficient/ low quality pics..... i think this, he thinks that etc etc.... impossible to tell for sure..... next please!!!

(Having said that, if the lighting/focus was sorted on that pic, I would have been able to decide 99.9% certain.... my educated guess is corkwing though.... oh god i'm doing it now!!!)
The light was fading and i only had my D500 fone camera to use, usually good enough in daylight but not in certain conditions. I might carry my proper digital camera more often from now on. :giveup:

·
Registered
157 Posts
Agree with Ruffground, If you are going to post an ID thread dont bother unless you have a photo of reasonable quality.
Pointless posting some blurry picture that is nigh on impossible to ID and results in pages of inconclusive guesses...

·
Registered
234 Posts
Next time you catch one you think is a Corkwing look at the tail fin. If there is a black spot it's a Corkwing if not it might have a band (not rubber!) running across the back of the tail fin and it'll be a rock cook wrasse.

I know this cos I looked it up after catching one earlier this year and if I hadn't put it back I'd now have the local mini-species record.

·
Registered
706 Posts
Next time you catch one you think is a Corkwing look at the tail fin. If there is a black spot it's a Corkwing if not it might have a band (not rubber!) running across the back of the tail fin and it'll be a rock cook wrasse.

I know this cos I looked it up after catching one earlier this year and if I hadn't put it back I'd now have the local mini-species record.
I'm afraid it's not as simple as that... the goldsinny wrasse also has a black spot, just in a slightly different location!

The two main things to look for on a corkwing are the serrated gill covers and a black spot at the origin of the tail (not always clearly visible). The corkwing's spot is roughly mid way on the tail, whereas the goldsinny's is at the top. The goldsinny is also a more slender fish, so there shouldn't be any confusion between the two.... just don't rely on dark spot equals corkwing!

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
Hahahaa, i love this. The arguments this has caused in specie hunt events run on a points per specie basis. I will admit it can be very hard to tell a female corkwing from a female gold sinny. It is a bit easier to tell males apart as they are more colourful. I must admit that with ballan, cuckoo, gold sinny, corkwing and a few other species the wrasse is woth its weight in gold in some species matches.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Agree with Ruffground, If you are going to post an ID thread dont bother unless you have a photo of reasonable quality.
Pointless posting some blurry picture that is nigh on impossible to ID and results in pages of inconclusive guesses...
No bother to ya chum, i'll post a pic if i'm not sure, whether you like it or not. The Pic of the Wrasse i posted might not have been the best quality but it's not that bad... :uhuh:

·
The Oracle
8,208 Posts
No bother to ya chum, i'll post a pic if i'm not sure, whether you like it or not. The Pic of the Wrasse i posted might not have been the best quality but it's not that bad... :uhuh:
Livid and anyone else for that matter .. ignore the posted telling you not to post ID pics unless the are clear pics.. most of the time the pics will be clear enough to get a positive ID as you can see with this thread most people knew it was a Corkwing even though it was a poor pic.

·
Registered
2,119 Posts
id say a baby ballan wrasse.
I'd be tempted to say a small ballan too, I had one like that last summer and the general consensus was that it was a small ballan. I had a few more small ballans and then did get a corkwing from the same area and there was quite a difference between them :fish:

·
Registered
706 Posts
Livid and anyone else for that matter .. ignore the posted telling you not to post ID pics unless the are clear pics.. most of the time the pics will be clear enough to get a positive ID as you can see with this thread most people knew it was a Corkwing even though it was a poor pic.
Most people suspected it was a corkwing, nobody "knew" it or could possibly know it.... that's the point! The question was can anyone confirm it as a corkwing.... the simple answer is no, nobody can confirm it.

If you want a general consensas ID on the balance of probabilities, or just out of interest to get other angler's opinions (mainly pointless speculation), then post away with any old pictures. If you want a positive ID i.e. 95% plus certainty, then I don't see the point in bothering unless you've got decent pics to enable it. Even then it may not be possible with pictures alone for some species (fin counts, dimensions/ratios, gill raker counts etc may be required).

Nice corkwing though:) :):unsure: :unsure:

·
Accepts cakes as bribes.
12,213 Posts
Yep - even if it was a black and white photo, the size and position of the fins is good enough to get a positive ID in this instance. :)

1 - 20 of 24 Posts