World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello everyone my names graham and i found this site by chance . I havent fished for a while now but the old feelings came flooding back . I have had a good sort out of my gear and its basically o.k the only thing i need is a new reel { the old chestnut eh } . Im left handed and would like a level wind , on reading the other threads on reels i cant decide on the abu 7000 , penn 310 or okuma30lw? before i decide a few comments would be appreciated . I would probably fish around the south coast {caravan in greatstone} Thanks everyone.

·
Registered
5,557 Posts
Welcome to the forum and congrats on coming back to sea fishing,

If you are shore fishing unless you are over really heavy ground the 7000 may be a bit heavy. 6501 may fit the bill for you, the 01 is Abu speak for left hand wind. As far as I know Penn do not make a left hand reel, Okuma not sure about.

Tight lines and luck for the future

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
Hi Gee Tee,

Welcome to the Forum,

If you research the other postings on the Forum you will find that the Abu reels are one of the best on the market. The 7001 is for left handed people and you won't go far wrong with it, especially if you are going to use it for boat fishing. It is not cheap but it will last you a lifetime if properly maintained.

Have a read through some of the other posts, you will find that all your questions regarding reels have already been answered.

Cheers

·
Registered
287 Posts
Hi gee tee , and greatings. try ebay ,lots on there and seam a good price for the abu 7000 - 7001 . If your wrecking or congering I would surgest a bigger reel with a faster retreve . For general fishing ,clean or ruff ground the 7000-7001 will do fine . but if you have a good fish on, us the drag as i've sean the cogs get stripped ,which end a mates day out. These reels arn't for cranking congers out of a wreck .
hope I've been helpful ? Dai

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks guys , I settled on the abu 70001 and cant wait to use it . As i mentioned before i will be staying at greatstone alot and was wondering if anyone had fished off dungerness by boat . I ve seen a boat advertised in sea angler at dungerness and would like to know if anyone has used it and their opinions on it . I last fished at folkstone about 2 years ago and we had a reasonable day out , i didnt know anyone but they were good guys . I would like to get involved in a fishing party around the kent sth london area hopefully on monthly trips , if someone can help me out i would appreciete it cheers.

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
Hi Gee Tee,

Where are you based?

Cheers

Drew

·
Registered
303 Posts
hi gee tee, I have guys who fish with me from kingston on thames, and redhill area if thats any help I can always put you in touch with them and you can come with us out of gosport, ( if its any help don't expect a reply for awhile I ofrt on hols tonite) just e.mail me thro the site. and I'll reply on my return.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hello drew and gusangus , I live in beckenham , kent and used to go out from ramsgate, brighton,littlehampton and folkstone . I would like to stay in these areas but wouldnt mind traveling if the fishing was good , cheers.

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
Hi Gee Tee,

Living in South Bucks. near Amersham, the nearest coastline to me is Portsmouth or Bradwell in Essex.

I prefer to fish out of Portsmouth as the fishing out of Bradwell has its limitations.
I also fish out of Mudeford (Christchurch) and whilst on holiday or visiting my daughter, from West Bay in Dorset. I have also fished from most of the South Coast resorts but have always returned to Portsmouth or Mudeford. When you have to pay £35 - £50 for a days fishing, I expect good value for my money.

I use Meridian Express out of Portsmouth and Blackjack from Mudeford, two completely different types of boat, and skippers, but both offering excellent value for money. Merridian Express is just a shade ahead of Blackjack in the value for money stakes.

Gusangus and I have organised a Forum boat trip out of Gosport in June of this year, I think there may be a space or two left, if you fancy a trip out let one of us know. (Gus is on holiday from to-day)

If ever you or anybody else fancies a boat fishing trip, P.M. me and we will arrange something.

Cheers

Drew

1 - 12 of 12 Posts