World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi i`m new to sea fishing but have some experience course fishing.

I brought the Lidl sea rod and reel and some tackle too, I have a few differant rigs.

I live in Bournemouth and went to hengistbury head yesterday the parking was abit expensive but paid anyway and I was off along the beach to find a good spot for fishing (not that I know what one looks like). Saw some other fishermen so setup close to them.

Didn`t catch 1 fish or even a bite, I asked at the local tackle shop for the right bait, tackle and mark but still nothing. I thought just a bad day and at least I got a sun tan lol.

Went out today to poole sandbanks near the toll ferry used the advice I was given by the local tackle shop and still nothing, no fish not even bites.

Am I fishing at the wrong time of year ? , the local fish shop owner said they are coming in early.

Please if someone who lives in the bournemouth / poole area give me some advice on where the best mark is for a beginner like me, preferably with free or cheap parking, what rigs and bait to use.

Thanks and please be patient with me. lol

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
I can't really help for your area, but keep an eye on the South Coast forum. That should give you an idea of where to fish, what is being caught and on what baits.

Don't get disheartend we all blank mate, especially when just starting up.

·
Registered
8,986 Posts
Problem at this time of the year is sometimes it is a bit hard,stick at it i have been sea fishing for a long time and still blank,wonder were i went wrong and try harder next time,by the way welcome to the site == PAT

·
Registered
7,780 Posts
Hi i`m new to sea fishing but have some experience course fishing.

I brought the Lidl sea rod and reel and some tackle too, I have a few differant rigs.

I live in Bournemouth and went to hengistbury head yesterday the parking was abit expensive but paid anyway and I was off along the beach to find a good spot for fishing (not that I know what one looks like). Saw some other fishermen so setup close to them.

Didn`t catch 1 fish or even a bite, I asked at the local tackle shop for the right bait, tackle and mark but still nothing. I thought just a bad day and at least I got a sun tan lol.

Went out today to poole sandbanks near the toll ferry used the advice I was given by the local tackle shop and still nothing, no fish not even bites.

Am I fishing at the wrong time of year ? , the local fish shop owner said they are coming in early.

Please if someone who lives in the bournemouth / poole area give me some advice on where the best mark is for a beginner like me, preferably with free or cheap parking, what rigs and bait to use.

Thanks and please be patient with me. lol
DBY or Crackoff colin are local to your area and i imagine would offer some advice.
There are a fair few species turning up early and you should not have to wait long to bag a fishy.

·
Registered
3,891 Posts
plead insanity & pay the bait - someone will teach you the tricks (post in the forum section for the area you want to fish - all pretty helpful here really)

good luck (dont worry first fish will be soon)

·
Registered
506 Posts
uve u have just started sea fishing beachs aint really what u should start at try a jetty or a deep water mark then u can pick up the basics etc and will have more of a fish or 2

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks guy for your comments

uve u have just started sea fishing beachs aint really what u should start at try a jetty or a deep water mark then u can pick up the basics etc and will have more of a fish or 2
Did exactly that this evening and wooohooo check out my sig, not the best catch in the world but a catch none the less.

Thanks guys feeling alot better now.

·
Registered
6,835 Posts
Thanks guy for your comments

Did exactly that this evening and wooohooo check out my sig, not the best catch in the world but a catch none the less.

Thanks guys feeling alot better now.
Welcome to the site mate and congrats on your first fish, keep at it and you will soon be posting good reports, if you ever come to Essex give us a yell and maybe we can meet up.

·
Registered
3,500 Posts
Hi midjam,
have a look on my blog for marks near you, Swanage Pier can be good for newcomers to fishing. garfish have just stared to show. Free car parking a bit harder to find than fish in your area.!

·
Registered
2,106 Posts
bait wise try mackie strip or lug on a running ledger you might put an atractor like a jelly or eel about a foot or foot a half up from it
and say 2 oz lead ,try spinning lures at different depths till you get a take or a refusal
another rig to try is a flapper with a trailing ledger or float fishing
if im correct youve got a 10ft spinner n reel to suit so the advice your getting might be out of sync with your gear guys on here will sort you out mate

·
Registered
11,228 Posts
hi, and welcome to the site.
your going to get all the help you need right here. watch out for a local meet because hands on info is far better if someone can offer it.

good luck and hang in there.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks guys you have all been very helpful.

Got the rod & reel from lidl for £15 so not the best make in the world.

It says B-SQUARE MULTI-X 420, 4.2m & Test 40 - 100g on the rod

and B-SQUARE MULTI-X 5000 II, MM/M 0,33/220 & gear ratio 5.2:1, 0.40/170 0,50/110 on the reel

Now that doesn`t mean much to me apart from the "test 40 - 100g" and the "4.2m"

Is this a good setup?

·
Registered
464 Posts
Midjam. Wellcome to the sea fishing fraternity.

Get the book Step by step guide to bait and rigs. A good start for anybody.

Look at joining a sea angling club. That way you get the best advice. Your local tackle shop will be able to point you in that direction.

Consider a boat trip. Google seafishingpoole or silverspray Andy Cummings (There are many more). They both do evening trips cheap from Poole Quay. Parking behind The Thistle Hotel near the quay is £4 a day. All these skippers (Bob, Ron, Andy) are very helpful.

Send me a private message if you want any more advice.

Cheers,

Terry C.

Don't go splashing your cash on Ebay until you know exactly what you are looking for. There is a lot of rubbish, and very few gems.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts