World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,090 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Having successfully obtained some peeling spiders, the time and conditions looked right for a trip to that well trodden smoothhound venue - West Beach Selsey.

Lensman and I arrived about 11:30 pm with the tide at least 3 hours up and to find that the only other anglers there had already started pulling them in (nice to meet you Antonio!)

feverishly baited up with crab and each got a rod out before attending to the comforts of bivvy etc (as you do) - result, turn round to find I have a hammering bite and Lensman has his rod on the ground! First cast and we both have fish on determined to "knit one pearl one" with our gear lol. Tangle's sorted out and with what turned out to be the biggest hound of the night for me (113cm), it was virtually a fish a chuck from then on for about 2 hours. HAd to stop for a tea break at one point!

Being diverted in sorting out base camp (my excuse and I'm sticking to it :) ) Lensman went on to pull into a 6 - 2 lead on the hound front - re-using the same crab no less than 3 times at one point! ( cheapskate ! :roll1:). I don't recall how many we had in the end, at least a dozen between us I think, but it was a fine, calm enjoyable night.

With the early morning mist and the tide dropping the hounds moved off to be replaced by little tapping bites and changing rigs to two hook flappers loaded with red proved them to be small bream and schoolies doubtless mopping up what the big boys had left behind. A solitary mackerel managed to find my single sequin on the snood, so fresh mackerel went out at short range to see if the schoolies had any big brothers lurking. No joy there apart from one big bite which dropped the bait and didn't return :( damn it!

Once again the conditions conspired to make it a memorable night not solely from the fish point of view. We anglers really are privilaged to witness beautiful dawns, moonlight, stars and last night the mist magically pouring off the land into the sea.

Great night's fishing and congrats to Antonio who had managed 15 fish when we met up half way through the night and an 18lb monster the night before :clap3:

Attachments

·
Registered
229 Posts
Nice report Mesito and well done.... are there still peeling spiders about then because i really need to get hold of some, again well done :clap3::clap3:

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
nice one Steve really pleased for you

turning into quite an eventful week for you certainly a few species on the list

good to see lensman in amongst them too

well done

·
Registered
378 Posts
Envious: of course I am:( After two sessions and only one hound I really need to get up there again before they dissapear: or is it just me!! Problem is the next opportunity will be second week of August.

But somebody has to catch them so well done to all of you. A busy but fantastic session:1a::notworthy:clap2::clap::yeah:

:bye1:

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
Well done steve, lensman. Good fish fun there. Nearly went there myself last night, ended up surf spinning til dark but no bass came in, schucks!!!

·
Registered
124 Posts
Nice to have met you Mesito & Lensman if only for a brief coversation, as you saw my son Matty Boy was being taken for a trip to Bracklesham by his PB hound, thought I'd better help him out. Managed to land it ok weighing in at 14lbs 10ozs:1a::1a:

It was great session and was nice to here you and Lensman laughing in the darkness. A good night of what fishings all about, enjoyment and not all the politics about hook sizes, rig terminals etc.......

I won't add any more to your post about weather conditions, but it was Selsey at its best 0mph wind, no weed what more can you ask for.

Here's couple of pictures matts PB and the 18lber

·
Registered
519 Posts
Hi Antonio.. nice to meet , if only briefly !.. the only reason we got to meet was because Steve had a biggie that towed him West to near your camp.

It was indeed great fun, and it was "hectic" to say the least. I seemed to be in and out of the water so often as I was the one with the chest waders. If I was not beaching one for myself or Steve I was returning them, in as deepish water as I dared, to see they went back alive.:crazy::crazy:

One odd thing, I found Size did not always equate to Fight .....Some of the smaller Hounds would go bananas compared to the 12/14 lb er's. I had one of abour 8 which went on 3 runs and fought like fury. I was a little disapointed when I beached it !

Did you find this too ?

P.S. Cracking fish there in the photo's.... you are also more photogenic than me !

·
Registered
124 Posts
Totally agree with that had a 9-10 & 6-5 took off at a rate of knots!!!
Larger ones seem to fight more when they see the light from your headlamp, then make a last bid for freedom. Where the swell was only about a 1ft, they just cruise on the surface amazing to see them in those conditions, but only come to the beach when ready.

Great fun though........

1 - 12 of 12 Posts