World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Global Moderator
7,083 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday didn't start well. Living in London, I get quite a bit of bait mail order and 95% of the time have no problems whatsoever. Mr Postie usually delivers by 10am so when the crabs hadn't arrived by 1030 I was on the phone to North East Bait Supplies checking on my order. "no mate, they won't be with you until tomorrow" he said. "Didn't you get the e-mail"? AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGH!!!!!!!!! No I effin well didn't I said.

To be fair they have always been reliable in the past and they did arrive this morning as promised, all a good size and all bar 3 alive.
I raided the freezer and scraped out 25 frozen and called Dab Menace. We tried all the tackle shops we knew that were reasonably en-route between London/Gravesend and Selsey. No joy. The tackle shop in Selsey had some frozen hermit's which would do as a last resort. Dab Menace posted his plea for help on the forum.

A huge hand to Misfit who not only bailed us out big time and also made a contribution to the Mankini RNLI fund which has now pass £1130. He also made a contribution to my fly tying materials...watch this space! Many many thanks Misfit and happy birthday for yesterday.

Well, the drive down to Selsey was absolutely pants. London traffic was a grinder and the A27 wasn't much better. I'd left London at 1115 and finally made my first cast on the East beach at 3pm! I thought I'd make a day of it and have a dip for a bream first. The tide was ripping through and with a bit of weed in the water it was barely fishable.

The size 2 hooks were coming in stripped by micro bream within 5 minutes so a switch to size 6's and an inch of rag resulted in a few of these little fellas.

and one of these:

By 1630 the sun had gone for the day, the rain had started, the tide had gone and I was only catching tiddlers so I up sticks to move to the West beach.

Dab Menace found me just as I was packing up and the rain was starting to get properly heavy. We drove round to the West beach to find a deserted beach past the "club" and 3 lads setting up behind the windmill. We sat and ate our fish and chips as the rain hammered down on the windscreen. "Wish I'd bought my beach buddy" said Dabby...muppett!

We set up about 1830 and I decided to have a dabble. One rod with a good chunk of Bluey about 20y out and a 2 hook size 1 bomber rig baited with half a rag as far as I could chuck it to have a scratch.

1st cast on the bomber rig produced this specimen. I do have giant hands and that *** is a foot long.

Notice it's nearly as wide as my shoulders so it must be about 6lb. I did my Emperor Ming impression as I threatened to keep it for the pot.

Next cast and the rod thumped over with a seriously propper bite followed by slack line. Catching up with the fish I was then dragged down the beach as whatever it was tore off towards the Isle of Wight and I hadn't set the drag! I big tail slapped the water about 120 yards out and promptly smashed the 15lb flurocarbon hook length. Bloody hell, that was a smoothhound I spluttered! 3 inches of rag and a size 1 hook!

All of a sudden, the 6 blokes who had set up to our right and were sitting on their hands waiting for the tide and darkness became a flurry of crab legs and bait elastic. It was only about 1845! 5 minutes later a fella about 50y to our right was beaching the first smoothie of the evening.

Gregd arrived, shortly followed by Another Frank to find me jibbering like an idiot and rambling about huge smoothie, ragworm and "I wouldn't believe it". "Bad angling" they both said.

Their relaxed amble over the shingle became somewhat more urgent to set up as they were met by the serious news of fish in front of them.

From about 1930 it was hectic and remained so until about 0030 when they went off the feed.

Gregd landing his first of about 20 smoothies he had last night....awsome angling!

Dab Menace with his best of the night... a low double.

Dabby finished with 7 for the night but he left at 2300, too tired and emotional to carry on.

Another Frank with his best of the night out of 9 caught.

And my best of the night, another low double out of the 10 I landed.

About 2300 I set up a spinning rod, baitrunner reel loaded with 20lb braid, running ledger and 6/0 circle hook. A 2oz lead saw the bait fly out about 50y and the reel set in free spool. 5 minutes later and the rod took a gentle curve as braid steadily left the reel and a quiet smile spread across my face. Gradually tightening into the fish (you don't strile with circle hooks, you let the hook draw into the fish) and the rod took a very alarming curve! 5 minutes later I couldn't help gigling like a schoolgirl as Frank expertly tailed the fish for me in the surf. Top tailing that man as I hadn't added a nylon leader and 20lb braid cuts flesh like butter.

A lovely little starry about 7lb, but HUGE fun on light gear.

and a circle hook....

And one last photo of Gregd doing the Dover War Dance in the surf as he challened the Smoothie's of Selsey to a personal war. Gregd won!

A top night in great company and world class fishing. That was going to be my last smoothie bash of the year as my mind turns to August bass and livebaiting. However I do have 40 prime peelers sitting in the vegetable draw in the fridge. Hmmmm, Monday night looks free!

·
The Ego
6,046 Posts
well done, where did u uend up fishing by the nightclub, or by the windmill?

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
Another quality report Si. Entertaining as always.
Good to see you Dave and Gary again last night for a great nights fishing and good to see you get one on the light gear. Heard the chuckling from a distance away so guessed something special had happened.
For my part it was a great night with fish from the off in daylight. Had 13 casts and 13 hounds before I dropped a fish. Ended up with 21 with a nights best of 13lb 7.

Pretty good week all in all. 2 sessions, 45 hounds, loads of doubles and a PB.

A few gratuitous pics of last nights better fish

·
Registered
842 Posts
looks like i went on the wrong night.....well done sounds like good fishing but untill i get home and off the wrok computer i wont be able to see the pics lol .......thinking about heading down there tonight but its a long and expensive trip to do on my own....still very tempting tho just have to be poor for a month.....

i think 45 hounds is more than i have caught all year!!

·
Registered
2,354 Posts
Well done Si great report bet it was fun catching that 7 pounder on light gear. must have been raining here for five hours was it like that there?
Congratulations Greg and Frank you,ve had some great seshions in the last week :punk:

·
Registered
3,454 Posts
good going si, we ventured there last night. we had over 25 between 3 of us, i had 11 in 2.5hrs to 12lb. it actually got boring abit like mackie bashing as they were coming in on every cast.

·
Registered
841 Posts
Great report with some great photos............................................................................:victory:

·
Registered
62 Posts
we also went down to selsey last night, 4 hounds in total, all around 8 9lb.
any chance they will stay till the big tides of late august ?

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
top report as allways geordie good pics too them ones look like they are about 3 ft long lol the one i had was only a foot lol but even then it gave a good account for itself so bagging a 10lber plus must be wicked fun

tight lines len

·
Registered
726 Posts
Well done lads, i was lucky enough to to get down there this week.
Fished ferring wednesday night and ended up with 5 between 7lb 2oz - 10lb 3oz and then fished the windmill last night and had 10 between 6lb 14oz - 8lb 15oz no monsters but was a cracking couple of nights. My mate had a 18lb 8oz tuesday night the lucky fu**er!!!!!
Hopefully they will still be about in a couple of weeks.

·
Registered
908 Posts
As per usual a cracking report and great fish as well there mate.
Cheers for the text, looks like i should have made more of an effort to put other things on hold ! allways the same ol story.

Well done Si and Greg. :notworthy:notworthy:notworthy:notworthy:notworthy:notworthy

·
Registered
239 Posts
Top angling and a quality report Si. One of these days I`d like to bag myself a smoothhound.

·
Registered
3,140 Posts
Excellent report again Si, well done to yourself, greg n all else that were there, top fishing :clap2:

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
Yesterday didn't start well. Living in London, I get quite a bit of bait mail order and 95% of the time have no problems whatsoever. Mr Postie usually delivers by 10am so when the crabs hadn't arrived by 1030 I was on the phone to North East Bait Supplies checking on my order. "no mate, they won't be with you until tomorrow" he said. "Didn't you get the e-mail"? AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGH!!!!!!!!! No I effin well didn't I said.

To be fair they have always been reliable in the past and they did arrive this morning as promised, all a good size and all bar 3 alive.
I raided the freezer and scraped out 25 frozen and called Dab Menace. We tried all the tackle shops we knew that were reasonably en-route between London/Gravesend and Selsey. No joy. The tackle shop in Selsey had some frozen hermit's which would do as a last resort. Dab Menace posted his plea for help on the forum.

A huge hand to Misfit who not only bailed us out big time and also made a contribution to the Mankini RNLI fund which has now pass £1130. He also made a contribution to my fly tying materials...watch this space! Many many thanks Misfit and happy birthday for yesterday.

Well, the drive down to Selsey was absolutely pants. London traffic was a grinder and the A27 wasn't much better. I'd left London at 1115 and finally made my first cast on the East beach at 3pm! I thought I'd make a day of it and have a dip for a bream first. The tide was ripping through and with a bit of weed in the water it was barely fishable.

The size 2 hooks were coming in stripped by micro bream within 5 minutes so a switch to size 6's and an inch of rag resulted in a few of these little fellas.

and one of these:

By 1630 the sun had gone for the day, the rain had started, the tide had gone and I was only catching tiddlers so I up sticks to move to the West beach.

Dab Menace found me just as I was packing up and the rain was starting to get properly heavy. We drove round to the West beach to find a deserted beach past the "club" and 3 lads setting up behind the windmill. We sat and ate our fish and chips as the rain hammered down on the windscreen. "Wish I'd bought my beach buddy" said Dabby...muppett!

We set up about 1830 and I decided to have a dabble. One rod with a good chunk of Bluey about 20y out and a 2 hook size 1 bomber rig baited with half a rag as far as I could chuck it to have a scratch.

1st cast on the bomber rig produced this specimen. I do have giant hands and that *** is a foot long.

Notice it's nearly as wide as my shoulders so it must be about 6lb. I did my Emperor Ming impression as I threatened to keep it for the pot.

Next cast and the rod thumped over with a seriously propper bite followed by slack line. Catching up with the fish I was then dragged down the beach as whatever it was tore off towards the Isle of Wight and I hadn't set the drag! I big tail slapped the water about 120 yards out and promptly smashed the 15lb flurocarbon hook length. Bloody hell, that was a smoothhound I spluttered! 3 inches of rag and a size 1 hook!

All of a sudden, the 6 blokes who had set up to our right and were sitting on their hands waiting for the tide and darkness became a flurry of crab legs and bait elastic. It was only about 1845! 5 minutes later a fella about 50y to our right was beaching the first smoothie of the evening.

Gregd arrived, shortly followed by Another Frank to find me jibbering like an idiot and rambling about huge smoothie, ragworm and "I wouldn't believe it". "Bad angling" they both said.

Their relaxed amble over the shingle became somewhat more urgent to set up as they were met by the serious news of fish in front of them.

From about 1930 it was hectic and remained so until about 0030 when they went off the feed.

Gregd landing his first of about 20 smoothies he had last night....awsome angling!

Dab Menace with his best of the night... a low double.

Dabby finished with 7 for the night but he left at 2300, too tired and emotional to carry on.

Another Frank with his best of the night out of 9 caught.

And my best of the night, another low double out of the 10 I landed.

About 2300 I set up a spinning rod, baitrunner reel loaded with 20lb braid, running ledger and 6/0 circle hook. A 2oz lead saw the bait fly out about 50y and the reel set in free spool. 5 minutes later and the rod took a gentle curve as braid steadily left the reel and a quiet smile spread across my face. Gradually tightening into the fish (you don't strile with circle hooks, you let the hook draw into the fish) and the rod took a very alarming curve! 5 minutes later I couldn't help gigling like a schoolgirl as Frank expertly tailed the fish for me in the surf. Top tailing that man as I hadn't added a nylon leader and 20lb braid cuts flesh like butter.

A lovely little starry about 7lb, but HUGE fun on light gear.

and a circle hook....

And one last photo of Gregd doing the Dover War Dance in the surf as he challened the Smoothie's of Selsey to a personal war. Gregd won!

A top night in great company and world class fishing. That was going to be my last smoothie bash of the year as my mind turns to August bass and livebaiting. However I do have 40 prime peelers sitting in the vegetable draw in the fridge. Hmmmm, Monday night looks free!
yep another top night but strange as it may seem i have really had enough of hound fishing this year [ i see there was a 15lb cod at dunge tho ]. FRANK

1 - 18 of 18 Posts