World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
556 Posts
Using that like you would a petrol would be about 120kw giving 30 minutes from 60kwh. Using rule of thirds that would be 10 min there,10 back and 10 spare. Even at 30kn 10 minutes isn't far.
Electric propulsion will be ok for displacement boats as it takes little power to propel them but high speed is a different matter.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Be a while yet until they are a realistic choice for most boat owners. The smaller electric engines like torqeedo are improving but battery life means its still not worth while if petrol engines are allowed

·
Registered
11,780 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Be a while yet until they are a realistic choice for most boat owners. The smaller electric engines like torqeedo are improving but battery life means its still not worth while if petrol engines are allowed
There are a fair few used on busy city harbours over here. Theres a boat that does tours in my local area that can carry around 20 people which does 3hr inlet tours on electric. The boat has been operating from here before I moved here 20+ years ago and not only is it electric but it only uses solar to collect that power Wagonga Inlet Cruises - Wagonga Inlet cruises Funny as the boat is over 100 years old!!!

·
Registered
11,780 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
When can you see them being used by recreational anglers? For me its still way off cost wise for spare batteries
It depends on what capacity you mean using them. They have been used for many years, I have one myself which is about 10yrs old if you include the likes of Minn Kota and Motorguide. I can use my electric all day with my lifepo4 battery pottering around. Many lifepo4 batteries are now cheaper than deep cycle batteries over here.

Many trailer boats even over 7m use Minn Kota electric to spot lock over marks rather than try to hold a position at anchor. Spot lock is great in the fact you see fish under the boat and the boat will hold directly over them and if the fish move you simply use the hand remote to move about until you find them.

Theres also the fact you can work river banks by simply plotting a course and tell the electric to follow the course and again use the remote to pause, slow or speed up as you flick lures at snags.

·
Premium Member
1,243 Posts
Funny enough, I've been thinking about a motorsailer, maybe a colvic, which has a very similar large aft cockpit like a fishing boat. Would also give me something new to learn, being sailing. Most motorsailers have a decent size motor for still days (VERY rare here) or if you can't be ars3d to sail.

·
Registered
85 Posts
It depends on what capacity you mean using them. They have been used for many years, I have one myself which is about 10yrs old if you include the likes of Minn Kota and Motorguide. I can use my electric all day with my lifepo4 battery pottering around. Many lifepo4 batteries are now cheaper than deep cycle batteries over here.

Many trailer boats even over 7m use Minn Kota electric to spot lock over marks rather than try to hold a position at anchor. Spot lock is great in the fact you see fish under the boat and the boat will hold directly over them and if the fish move you simply use the hand remote to move about until you find them.

Theres also the fact you can work river banks by simply plotting a course and tell the electric to follow the course and again use the remote to pause, slow or speed up as you flick lures at snags.

We use minn kotas a lot stillwater fishing but still prefer a petrol outboard. They are ideal for hugging shorelines for us but i meant when they will be a replacement for petrols for most sea anglers.

·
Registered
239 Posts
from my quick look into electric power. I will need a battery weighing upwards of 2 ton. As my boat is on a swinging mooring I would also need an electric cable 500 meters long to reach the nearest socket. Of course the householder may not let me plug in.

·
Registered
5,581 Posts
A step closer yes but lets look a little closer.

Vision Marine Technologies is on the cusp of launching the E-Motion 180E, a 180hp high-voltage electric outboard motor that uses a 60kWh battery to feed it.

With batteries being new, people are not really conversant with the term kWh and how much that represents. Well when it comes to energy density 1 litre of petrol is around 9.7 kWh. Let's round it up to 10.
Therefore the batteries that run this thing are the equivalent of about 6 litres of fuel. .... For a 180hp engine? What is remarkable of course is the efficiency of electric engines and how far they will go on so little. Twice as efficient as internal combustion engines. So, here comes the crunch. Would you ever consider buying a "5.5-metre to 7.9-metre boat " with a 180hp engine on the back that only had a 12-15 litre tank.
Not ever even on your wet nelly. A step closer? Not even close. Wonderfull outboard but as useful as a chocolate teapot

·
Registered
5,581 Posts
This is a good visual representation on why your outboards will be unlikely ever to go electric

·
Registered
11,780 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
A step closer yes but lets look a little closer.

Vision Marine Technologies is on the cusp of launching the E-Motion 180E, a 180hp high-voltage electric outboard motor that uses a 60kWh battery to feed it.

With batteries being new, people are not really conversant with the term kWh and how much that represents. Well when it comes to energy density 1 litre of petrol is around 9.7 kWh. Let's round it up to 10.
Therefore the batteries that run this thing are the equivalent of about 6 litres of fuel. .... For a 180hp engine? What is remarkable of course is the efficiency of electric engines and how far they will go on so little. Twice as efficient as internal combustion engines. So, here comes the crunch. Would you ever consider buying a "5.5-metre to 7.9-metre boat " with a 180hp engine on the back that only had a 12-15 litre tank.
Not ever even on your wet nelly. A step closer? Not even close. Wonderfull outboard but as useful as a chocolate teapot

It would be interesting to hear how the company behind them would comment on your expertise on them. Im certainly not an expert like yourself, after all I only have a 55lb Minn Kota that runs all day on a 12kg lifepo4 lithium battery.

Not sure why its not a step closer to electric powered outboards as it certainly looks like this electric outboard is pushing this boat forward in the video to me. Please drop them an enquiry to voice them your opinion and post back here their reply, like I said its way above my understanding. Discover The World's Most Powerful Electric Outboard.

Im not sure on the weight of the 60kw battery in the little Nissan cars that do 200miles but isn't this also a step towards electric cars too ? Not sure why you consider it a chocolate teapot. Way above my melon.

·
Registered
5,581 Posts
I have no beef with the outboard, electric outboards would be twice as efficient and really the tech has been there to make them for a long long time. But building and producing one in advance of the available tech to actually power it is rather stupid. Electric is at the stage of slow but steady displacement speed. 180 hp in an outboard isnt even a show piece. Slap a big leccy motor in, job done. It's not hard to do, I could do it. It'd be ugly, but I could do it. Serves no purpose. At best that engine may find a very tiny market on the canals where fuels are banned. But then, much of those are speed restricted to sub wake speeds and what would 180 push?

Reactions: JonD
1 - 20 of 44 Posts