World Sea Fishing Forums banner
21 - 40 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
11,783 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
I have no beef with the outboard, electric outboards would be twice as efficient and really the tech has been there to make them for a long long time. But building and producing one in advance of the available tech to actually power it is rather stupid. Electric is at the stage of slow but steady displacement speed. 180 hp in an outboard isnt even a show piece. Slap a big leccy motor in, job done. It's not hard to do, I could do it. It'd be ugly, but I could do it. Serves no purpose. At best that engine may find a very tiny market on the canals where fuels are banned. But then, much of those are speed restricted to sub wake speeds and what would 180 push?
For me I like the idea of no exhaust being pushed through the prop into the marine environment, even though I have no idea of how much it effects the marine eco system. On a fishing level switching off even my little 90hp and dropping to the silent Minn Kota makes a world of difference in hunting fish. Perhaps that stealth approach is more important in places like here where in many parts we have extremely clear water. Fishing charter guides that run electrics over here all day in the shallows are able to target fish consistently that before electric simply wasn't the case.

·
Registered
5,586 Posts
I'm not going to argue that, but I would point out with a lot of confidence that not even you would buy a boat for many tens of thousand pounds with an effective range of 10nm from base. Whatever you may or may not like regardless.

·
Registered
5,586 Posts
Personally I'm thinking here that on an average weekend out doing no more than 60 miles I burn a lot more than 200 litres diesel which has a significantly higher kWhr rating than petrol and wonder where I could store that many batteries. Given that I carry over 1300 litres excluding reserves I dont think my vessel would float given the amount of batteries needed

I think the secret to electricity ever working as propulsion for boats is to completely rethink the way they are driven (although it's not a new idea) such as the Candela C-7 - pushing the complete hull though the water at anything beyond hull speed takes a lot of energy.

I do like the concept of foils but the elephant in the room here is sea state. That's very much a fair weather boat

·
Registered
5,586 Posts
The Japanese are pushing Hydrogen but really I'd love electric. I'm really hoping a battery breakthru happens in my lifetime so I can enjoy it. Until then I can dream, play Lotto and wish I had this, the 55. I know they go up to 80 foot but I'm not greedy

corrrrrr

If only you could swap a wife for it :sneaky:

Reactions: JonD

·
Registered
11,783 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
I'm not going to argue that, but I would point out with a lot of confidence that not even you would buy a boat for many tens of thousand pounds with an effective range of 10nm from base. Whatever you may or may not like regardless.

Totally agree and never said I would but I do wonder how something like that 180 would be on a small boat like mine rather than the size boats they are mentioning. The estimated 70nm might easily double in a little tub like mine.

I skipper two identical 6m commercial boats for abalone and sea urchin, one powered by a growling 2021 Yamaha 300 which I often consider using earplugs with once its up around 4500rpm. The other rig has a new Honda also 2021 model and sounds more like a smooth quiet sewing machine that at times on low rpm I can't hear running and often go to start an already running motor or push the throttle down and wonder why its not moving (because its not turned on!!!).

Maybe the honda on my boat and the one on the commercial boat combined with my electric Minn Kota have converted me into a more silent approach and for that I still believe the above 180 to be a step forward.

As for the future of fossil fuels and more efficient engines, well we seem to be heading in the opposite direction over here. My neighbour has a 4x4 bt50 2013 3.2lt which gives him an average 8lt per 100km. I have a bt50 2018 with the same engine, tyres etc with the exception mine has a dpf filter for the environment. My vehicle at its best chomps through 12.5lt per 100km which soon increase on short trips or pushing the throttle down a bit hard. He tows his large off-road caravan sitting on 14lt while according to caravan forums others are sitting on 24lt and more since the inclusion of dpf.

·
Registered
11,783 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Not sure what batteries are in the ebikes but these seem to of gone crazy over here in regards to sales, around 50,000 last year and expected to be over 70,000 by the end of this year (didn't even realise there were that many people over here!!!!!). The batteries look tiny considering they are pushing some pretty heavy loads about. They have amazing range and people are venturing further into wilderness areas using them. I think what many people don't consider with electric is figures given tend to be at maximum output. If I ran my Minn Kota at max output I would have maybe two hours but running it lower allows me to use it all day and still not flatten the lifepo4. At full rpm I could empty the 300lt fuel tank in under 3hrs with the Yamaha on a 6m boat.
Sky Vehicle Hood Automotive tire Naval architecture

·
Registered
85 Posts
Ebikes will use a lot less battery because it isnt an on off switch like a throttle JonD. I used to compete on trials bikes until recently and the electric motorbikes brought out were barely getting you a 1/3 of a day out without batteries dying. Unless you are rowing amd helping the outboard like pedaling an ebike then i cant see them being worth while. Regards to your minn kota i've used the haswing and torqeedo here in Scotland on a 15ft coulam and you will definately get a full day on lochs flyfishing with the built in battery and reducing the output but what i have noticed is if we are motoring against the wind the reduced output doesnt cut it and thats without a tide to fight. But they certainly would be ideal for a back up engine as less maintenance, lighter and turned up they would get most fast fishers out of danger

·
Registered
11,783 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
I live in a small coastal town with population just under 2000, where on this mornings dog walk I had at least 20 retirees pass me on their Ebikes, these were those big battery road style bikes you don't need to pedal not the slim off-roaders. I would say at least 10 of the cars that passed me were electric and our local shopping centre has 10 electric powering machines. There are a few locals getting around on the E motor bikes, I had a go on a friends one and was amazed how well it went even with my Mrs on the back. Plug in, ride out: Best electric motorbikes of 2021

You might think that these are simply old people with plenty of money wanting something for just heading to the shops. The fact is most of the electric cars we see around town are from the bigger cities like Sydney and Canberra which are over 300km away and on roads with several mountain climbs. I don't know if they need to stop for a charge along the way but I believe these things can take a fast load of power over the time it takes to have a coffee and some are good for over 500km.

So many of the petrol car sales have not been available, to the point some manufacturing factories are closed as they can't get the parts needed to build new cars. In saying that around 8500 new electric cars still hit the road over the last year, which is a fair few given our tiny population and I dare say numbers will only go up. Electric Cars Available in Australia in 2021 | RAC WA

·
Registered
5,586 Posts
Same here in darkest Wales but there is a massive difference in kWh driving wheels against wind resistance and ploughing through and displacing several tons per second of water. With boats we are still stuck with displacement speed efficiencies while those efficiencies on land give your first 50mph reasonably freely before wind resistance starts biting back. I'm looking forward to my first electrical Land Rover :p , not so much my first electrical sports cruiser, and if I wasn't going liveaboard I'd have an electric off road bike already. That Silent 55 though. Phoarrrrr. Should I ever manage to land one I'm calling it Beet Ma Meet!

·
Registered
11,785 Posts
It would be interesting to hear how the company behind them would comment on your expertise on them. Im certainly not an expert like yourself, after all I only have a 55lb Minn Kota that runs all day on a 12kg lifepo4 lithium battery.

Not sure why its not a step closer to electric powered outboards as it certainly looks like this electric outboard is pushing this boat forward in the video to me. Please drop them an enquiry to voice them your opinion and post back here their reply, like I said its way above my understanding. Discover The World's Most Powerful Electric Outboard.

Im not sure on the weight of the 60kw battery in the little Nissan cars that do 200miles but isn't this also a step towards electric cars too ? Not sure why you consider it a chocolate teapot. Way above my melon.

Interesting that the engine in the video is sitting in a Suzuki body (if that's what you call the static bits of an outboard) yet the one pictured at the start and the end of the video is a Tohatsu body - wonder what changed.

·
Registered
5,586 Posts
Reactions: JonD

·
Registered
11,783 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·

FFS Land Rover, get it together!

Though I have to say.... but with a huge 9600kw inverter system fitted from factory it’ll run a residential house for up to 10 days. ... That's ambitious or a very small house. The offered conversion to battery just to run my boat for the weekend was more than half that. Let alone power it

View attachment 1376805

UK households obviously use more electricity than other parts of the world if you consider those figures ambitious. We are family of five in what by UK sized homes live in a pretty big place, we have two good sized freezers down in the garage for fish and game meat and a 503lt fridge freezer in the kitchen. The kids each have computers and the home has three tv's. Last month we averaged 8.2kw daily use, maybe this is considered low because over here we have a far more outside lifestyle.

·
Registered
11,785 Posts
UK households obviously use more electricity than other parts of the world if you consider those figures ambitious. We are family of five in what by UK sized homes live in a pretty big place, we have two good sized freezers down in the garage for fish and game meat and a 503lt fridge freezer in the kitchen. The kids each have computers and the home has three tv's. Last month we averaged 8.2kw daily use, maybe this is considered low because over here we have a far more outside lifestyle.
How do you guys know this stuff?? We have a smart meter and I know nothing apart from the fact it hardly goes out of the green and uses about £21 a week in winter - no idea how that converts to kw.

21 - 40 of 44 Posts