World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With the recent run of blanks and a disappointing last place match finish still fresh in my mind, I hoped that last week would see an improvement in my fortunes, but the weather gods obviously had other ideas. The forecast on Tuesday was for south south westerlies gusting to 30mph+ but I had a venue in mind where I should get some shelter from the worst of the conditions. I set off at the usual time and was just about to arrive at the turn off for my chosen venue when for some inexplicable reason I changed my mind! :BigGrin: A quick U-turn later and I was heading for the same mark where I caught my final bass of the season in both 2016 and 2017. Only time would tell if I had made the right decision.

The mark turned out to be quite sheltered and the water clarity was good so I wasted no time in getting ready, and a very short walk later I was in the game. Over the next couple of hours I tried a variety of lures from the big and small Patchinkos and the mighty Chug Bug, to the SF 125 and Ruf Manic and also a variety of SPs including the Do-Live Stick, Wave worm and USS Minnow but there didn’t seem to be any hungry diners about.

I wasn’t feeling the bass vibe at this particular spot so I decided to move a short way along the coast, to a location where I had some success earlier in the year. I was expecting it to be a little more exposed to the weather there but as I rounded the corner I was in for quite a surprise! The strong winds, coupled with the biggest of the spring tides, had pushed the water right up to the coastal road, and the waves were lapping across the tarmac :eek:. Sod that for a game of soldiers I thought and after the second U-turn of the night :laugh: I retraced my route back in the direction I came from.

I didn’t fancy fishing the same spot again, so I carried on a little further until I came to what turned out to be a sheltered little bay, so sheltered in fact that a large raft of debris some 2 meters wide and 10 meters long had gathered against the shoreline. The assembled flotsam consisted of everything from seaweed and driftwood, to leaves and general litter but surprisingly the water under it was gin clear. I reasoned that the weed etc might contain all manner of tasty morsels for any small fish in the vicinity to feed on, as well as providing shelter, this in turn might attract any predators in the area who might just fancy a little fishy supper, it was definitely worth a go.

I started off by casting a small Patchinko uptide, and parallel with the weed and I then proceeded to drift it back towards me with the current, giving it the occasional twitch to impart some life. It didn’t attract any interest so next up I clipped on a Wave Worm and repeated the similar tactic, but there obviously weren’t any bass about.

For the last half an hour I searched the water further away from the shore with several different lures, but apart from what sounded like a huge sea trout leaping just out of sight in the darkness, the session finished on a quiet note for another blank :frown:.

Next up was Thursday night and a last chance to get out before the weather went seriously t**s up. This time I was DEFINITELY going to fish my first choice mark, which happened to be the same as Tuesday’s intended venue, that was until I drove over the bridge onto Anglesey again and saw the calm and inviting waters of the Menai Straits below :laugh:.

A brief window in the weather was supposed to be over by that time and the wind was overdue to be increasing again, but the cold front was obviously later than expected, so I decided to take advantage of the fact and to fish another mark where I have caught some nice bass later in the season.

I arrived at the parking spot to find a light onshore breeze blowing, which put a slight ripple on the water, but again the clarity was good so I decided to give it a go and after a 15 minute yomp I found myself ready to start the hunt again. The area in front of me was a fairly shallow stretch of water, with quite a fast current running so I started off with the SPs. First on was a USS Minnow, which I fished around in an arc to cover as much water as possible and when this didn’t work I decided to try a top-water lure instead. On went the Vulture, which enabled me to cover a lot more area than the SPs, but sadly this didn’t work either so rather than spend any more time on an unproductive stretch of water I decided to move.

Rather than increase as forecast, the wind actually dropped at this point and conditions improved until I found myself fishing mirror calm waters The next couple of hours were spent walking along the shore trying all the lures which usually work for me, at all the places where I have caught before, but typically the only action I saw was when an unsuspecting fishlet was smashed on the surface right under my rod tip :eek:, typically though my lure was 20 meters away at the time :rolleyess:.

After 2 hours or so of calm conditions the wind belatedly began to increase, and it did so at quite a pace, it picked up almost by the minute and from being flat calm the water was soon transformed to an expanse of white horses. Casting into the headwind was difficult enough but lure choice also became a challenge, the wind catching my braid made it impossible to fish any unweighted SPs effectively and the amount of weed growth in the relatively shallow water meant that I couldn’t fish anything too heavy or deep diving, so I found myself limited to larger and noisier top-water lures such as the large Patch and the Chug Bug but I just wasn’t feeling the bass vibe.

Pushed on by the freshening winds the tide also rose rapidly and it flooded at such a pace that by 45 minutes before high water I had almost run out of beach, the rain also started to fall, signalling that storm Callum had arrived 4 hours early. I couldn’t see me catching in the conditions so I reluctantly decided to call it a night on yet another brace of blanks :cry:.

·
Registered
794 Posts
Unlucky Andy, they can't say you don't try;) there's a lot of bass being caught from the straits off the boats, but I've not heard of much from the shore.ps as always a great read :thumbsup:

Reactions: andy1965

·
Registered
4,872 Posts
Shame! You've demonstrated an amazing tour de force to try and bring that next ( not last!) bass to shore. Whereas I, with my ability, would have packed up, you persisted. That's what we enjoy when reading yours and other's reports!
Must be said I was able to watch bass or big sea trout leaping and turning as it got near to sunset whilst I was staying on the Straits last week. Yes it would be a great mark but for me only from a boat or after a boat trip!
What I'm saying is that they are still about!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts