World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,443 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Fished Anstruther red pier,11:00 to 21:15, Tide LT=13:50 HT=20:23, Bait mackie,bluey,ragworm,lugworm,squid, Weather cloudy stayed dry though,water some mice waves.

I had intended to fish Elliot beach Arbroath but Sean was working and thought let's go somewhere different so i took myself to Anstruther a place i haven't fished for over a year. My thought was that i might get a wrasse to add to my species list and maybe the chance of small fry. I started fishing with the two beachcasters one with a pulley rig and one with a 2 hook paternoster not the best kind of rig for fishing there but i just had the feeling this may just work here, i also had my spinning rod with float just to give it a try. So started fishing about 3 hours before low tide just to see what was around and soon found the answer....nothing. There was the odd bite but nothing come of it. I thought the fish have to come in with the tide. Well they did first fish 3 hours after low tide so 6 hours of nothing but i wasn't gonna give up.

So 3 hours after low tide got a good knock on one of my beachcasters struck it to find me bringing in my first wrasse of the year that made my day not big but good enough. It was another wait of 2 hours before my next bite another good hard knock my thoughts turned to maybe another wrasse and so it was, another one duly landed a bit bigger than the last weighing in at 2lb 4oz. Just under an hour later a good hard bang on the rod found me bringing in another wrasse biggest so far weighing in at 3lb 13oz a new pb for me, my previous being 2lb 9oz if i remember correctly. 20 Minutes on found me with a slack line bite which turned out to be another wrasse smaller one but welcome all the same. Another 45 minutes seen me bring in another wrasse weighing in at 2lb 1oz. This was followed soon after by my first coalfish of sesh. Then a long spined ss had to check it but yip long spined. This was followed 15 minutes later by another wrasse a nice size and my last fish landed was another coalfish. The fishing seemed to die after this so after an hour i called it a day.

I have to admit during the first 6 hours i was begining to doubt whether there was any fish there at all but patience and never give up attitude paid of and much better than i could have hoped for. That is more wrasse than i have ever caught in a sesh along with a pb it just couldn't get better. I might as well have thrown all my other bait in the bin the only bait that was catching was the ragworm and that included the coalies. So glad i decided to get down and dig them. Mind you at Tayport it was the rag that was getting me the dabs so maybe the bait oif choice from now on if only i could find another couple of rag beds. I did miss a few bites during sesh hard bites and a few small ones and had something grab my float and took the float under and into the weed, lost the hook, also lost a couple of rockling type fish in the harbour itself once again in the weed and a float too.

Total catch Wrasse 6, Coalfish 2, Lsss 1. Video to follow.

tn_GEDC0367.JPG

My first wrasse.
tn_GEDC0375.JPG

My second wrasse.
tn_GEDC0377.JPG

My 3rd and new pb weighing in at 3lb 13oz.
tn_GEDC0380.JPG

My fourth wrasse
tn_GEDC0384.JPG

My fifth wrasse
tn_GEDC0395.JPG

My only long spined ss
tn_GEDC0406.JPG

My sixth and final wrasse.

Reactions: piker20

·
Registered
5,530 Posts
Well done Mike, that turned out to be a cracking session.
Always nice to land a new pb, love the fight a decent wrasse gives you.

Cheers Willie

·
Registered
2,443 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well done Mike, excellent return for your patience
Thanks Burnie,aye glad i'm a patient kind of person or there's a few trips i would have blanked.

Well done Mike, that turned out to be a cracking session.
Always nice to land a new pb, love the fight a decent wrasse gives you.

Cheers Willie
Thanks Willie, it was a good sesh better than i expected, even with the beachcasters those wrasse can fight. Trying to handle then ain't exactly easy as can be seen in the video once it's up.

good report , cracking wrasse well done mate
Thanks Kev, a nice variety of sizes always good to show what are around.

Reactions: neptunes

·
Registered
5,530 Posts
Can't wait to see it Mike.
I'll be listening for the sound effects,
the oooohs and aaaahhs!;)

Cheers Willie

R

·
0 Posts
great session on the pier mike , running a float along the front just 5 yards out can produce the goods as well and keeps you out the snags a bit better. that is a beauty of a pb wrasse.
cheers rab

·
Registered
5,162 Posts
Well done for sticking it out and getting the just rewards. A 3lb+ wrasse is a gas on any tackle, especially a spinning rod. They're very obliging-once found they are usually there at the right time and tides until it gets colder later in the year. It's good fun trying different baits for them like too like small hardback and hermit crabs and shellfish caught in a drop net if ragworm is not available. The drop net can also help land them in some places, especially when fishing light.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Nice session there Mike. Never caught a wrasse myself. Cant wait to see the video . Tight lines to you . Mike.

·
Registered
2,443 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Productive day out for you well done
Thank you fisher.

Can't wait to see it Mike.
I'll be listening for the sound effects,
the oooohs and aaaahhs!;)

Cheers Willie
Lol, if it's sound effects you like i can do a funfair video i got the sound effects for that.

great session on the pier mike , running a float along the front just 5 yards out can produce the goods as well and keeps you out the snags a bit better. that is a beauty of a pb wrasse.
cheers rab
Thanks Rab, I did have the float along the front not much happened with it but something did take it and took the float all the way under into the weeds.

That's a fair catch of wrasse patience is a virtue and you certainly have well worth the wait with the big one
Thanks Bert, i think that's why i fish so often on my own, take that trip if i had been with someone else they would have been dying to move.

Well done for sticking it out and getting the just rewards. A 3lb+ wrasse is a gas on any tackle, especially a spinning rod. They're very obliging-once found they are usually there at the right time and tides until it gets colder later in the year. It's good fun trying different baits for them like too like small hardback and hermit crabs and shellfish caught in a drop net if ragworm is not available. The drop net can also help land them in some places, especially when fishing light.
Thanks Lavraki, i caught it on the beachcaster and it didn't make things easy so on a spinning rod would be a real battle right enough. I was actually thinking about that when bringing them in a drop net would really be useful.

Nice wrasse mike well done on yer PB cheeers the noo and tight lines
Thanks John.

Nice session there Mike. Never caught a wrasse myself. Cant wait to see the video . Tight lines to you . Mike.
Thanks Mike, i never caught any last year at all so it was nice to get them again.

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Good report and pics...well done on a good wee session there and a big well done on your PB Wrasse. Glad your patience paid off handsomely for you Mike. Tight lines! Gary

·
Registered
2,443 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks Gary, I was glad when i did eventually start catching.

·
Registered
2,443 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
It was that Jonny, thanks, it helped a lot that the predicted rain didn't happen.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts