World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Before I go chucking a wad of hard earned into another floating money pit, I would like some opinions from those of you who know about these things. The good points, the bad points, and anything in between.

Ive been offered a Antares 620 with a 85hp Volvo lump. Its been sat on its mooring without moving for 12 months as the guy now works abroad and cant get the time to use it. Apart from the obvious survey/engineers report prior to purchase, is there anything in particular that I should be looking out for ? On the face of it, the boat looks fine. It ticks all the boxes for what I wanted,well equipped, good overall package, and the right price, but opinions from those in the know are most valued.
All opinions gratefully received.

Raider.

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
I personaly would try to find one with the larger Volvo 105hp engine as the bit more power helps it keep on the plane without working so hard.
Check the rudder bearings for play as this can be a b***er to replace. If it has a prop guard fitted expect 1 or 2kt reduction in speed but it can help keep pot ropes away from the prop and shaft. Prop anodes disapear afetr about 6 months if mooring in a marina with mains power around.

If I recall the hull is basicly a jeau but the topside and layout are differant

As you say a good survey should tell you most things

Dave

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I personaly would try to find one with the larger Volvo 105hp engine as the bit more power helps it keep on the plane without working so hard.
Check the rudder bearings for play as this can be a b***er to replace. If it has a prop guard fitted expect 1 or 2kt reduction in speed but it can help keep pot ropes away from the prop and shaft. Prop anodes disapear afetr about 6 months if mooring in a marina with mains power around.

If I recall the hull is basicly a jeau but the topside and layout are differant

As you say a good survey should tell you most things

Dave
Cheers Dave, some very handy pointers there. I do fancy the bigger engine, but as the boat on offer is such a good price, and its in the same marina, it makes things very easy, rather than searching the country for the boat with the bigger diesel. Most of our fishing is within 10 miles of the marina, so the extra few knots would be nice, but not that critical. Ten minutes added to the steaming time to the mark won't be too much of a pain.
I will get the rudder checked for any play, just in case.
Anodes....just a fact of life in the marina I'm afraid. I have resigned myself to the fact that they will want changing from the word go, and at frequent intervals from there onwards.

Cheers

Raider

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
Hi Raider

One thing I would suggest is keep weight to minimum on the boat.
I was amazed how much stuff I had accumulated over a short time on my last boat when I came to sell her.
Leads are the favourite things, the odd 3 or 4 2lb leads + all the others all adds up. Extra anchors, ropes, water bottles etc etc.

As long as you have the essentials and safety gear, you need to ask "when did I last use that?" and "do I really need it on the boat?"

Most of us are squirrels when it comes to keeping things that may be handy, but does it need to be on the boat or at home?

Lighter weight helps fuel consumption and speed :yeah:

Dave

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi Raider

One thing I would suggest is keep weight to minimum on the boat.
I was amazed how much stuff I had accumulated over a short time on my last boat when I came to sell her.
Leads are the favourite things, the odd 3 or 4 2lb leads + all the others all adds up. Extra anchors, ropes, water bottles etc etc.

As long as you have the essentials and safety gear, you need to ask "when did I last use that?" and "do I really need it on the boat?"

Most of us are squirrels when it comes to keeping things that may be handy, but does it need to be on the boat or at home?

Lighter weight helps fuel consumption and speed :yeah:

Dave
I must say I am the worlds worst for carrying everything including a spare kitchen sink. Clearing out the boat last weekend ready for the new owner made me realise just how much tut I have been carting around. It took two of us to make two trips and two full cars to shift it. The boat was 2 inches higher out of the water by the time we finished. Now ive got it all home, I will have a proper sort out, and as you rightly pointed out, I will only take what I need for the new one, rather than enough to supply a charter boat. I couldnt believe how many leads there was. I had to take them to the shed in shifts, and Ive filled four buckets with assorted boat and beach leads, enough to keep me going for years.
The extra fuel tanks x 4 didnt help either, neither did two tackle boxes and a mountain of lures. You only really notice when you have to shift it all, but I certainly know what it all weighs now, after carrying the lot from the car.
Next time, its going to be what I need for the trip, rather than leaving it all on the boat.

Raider.

·
Registered
711 Posts
"Lighter weight helps fuel consumption and speed"

Crickey im going to have 35knt Mayland next weekend .......:yeah:

Good Luck Raider, cracking boat if you get it ...

Regards

Daren

·
Registered
2,970 Posts
The Beneteau Antares 620IB and the Jeanneau Merry Fisher 635 are remarkably similar boats with the Jeanneau generally being regarded as having slightly nicer lines.
Cosmetic difference yes, but you have to look at it!

The Merry Fisher generally comes with a fractionally higher spec, but is also more sort after and as a result will usually gain a higher resale value when you come to sell down the line.
It's true about the engine size, but there are very few with the bigger engine and so if you are not heading mid channel and plan to keep your hull clean then don't be put off by those in the 80Hp range (Don't be tempted to go smaller though).

Personally, I would buy a Merry Fisher 635 over the Antares 620, purely because it is a more sort after boat when selling in the future.

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The Beneteau Antares 620IB and the Jeanneau Merry Fisher 635 are remarkably similar boats with the Jeanneau generally being regarded as having slightly nicer lines.
Cosmetic difference yes, but you have to look at it!

The Merry Fisher generally comes with a fractionally higher spec, but is also more sort after and as a result will usually gain a higher resale value when you come to sell down the line.
It's true about the engine size, but there are very few with the bigger engine and so if you are not heading mid channel and plan to keep your hull clean then don't be put off by those in the 80Hp range (Don't be tempted to go smaller though).

Personally, I would buy a Merry Fisher 635 over the Antares 620, purely because it is a more sort after boat when selling in the future.
Thanks for your input Tom. To be honest, we were about to buy a merry fisher 635 when a real bargain of a Antares 620 cropped up on our doorstep. Both boats had 85 hp, and a broadly similar spec. The merry fisher had better electronics, but the Antares had been fitted out better with lots of extras including a life raft and full stainless rails all round, plus it has radar, which although its not state of the art, its a perfectly adequate bit of kit, which is a bonus. The merry fisher has done plenty of work, but its been looked after. The Antares has done a lot less, but its been sitting there unused for a few months.
Subject to my engineers report, the Antares looks a winner if it gets a reasonable report, as we stand to save three grand on what is essentially the same boat, barring a few whistles and bells. 99 percent of our fishing is within 10-12 miles of the marina, so an hours run in most cases, so an extra couple of knots from the 105 hp lump isn't going to be a major issue, and as you say, if we keep it clean, and don't overload it with too much old tut, then it should be fine.
What we were really after is a pilot house type of boat, that's a bit of a hybrid between a full on fishing boat and a family cruiser. After punting around for opinions from a fair few owners of a variety of boats that fitted the bill, the general feeling was the Merry fisher/ Antares offered a good compromise of sea keeping, build quality, space and equipment for the money we were looking to pay. Nobody really had a bad word to say for either model, which wasn't the case with a few other manufacturers we looked at, so that feedback pretty much made our minds up for us.

Thanks again for the input...most valuable.

Raider.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts