World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,587 Posts
Bill. To look here and to find your rough area.

Best to stick to what they do to show as best there.
Each water area to be different and to need different things.
Alternatively ask your marina people what they do to use. No point putting on something useless.

·
Premium Member
3,587 Posts
Hi,some of the Antifoul I've looked at says the boat should be put in the water within 2 weeks, I can't be sure of that, does it make much difference?
Thanks.
I to stick to what it to say Bill. Something to happen that deactivates the antifoul when it to be out of water for maximum effect to stick to what the tin to say. No harm to do it now then to light (wet) sand and add another coat the day before she to go in.

·
Registered
11,783 Posts
Hi,some of the Antifoul I've looked at says the boat should be put in the water within 2 weeks, I can't be sure of that, does it make much difference?
Thanks.
Yes
Although I would think a two week window is quite rare it’s generally 2 months, but still works better if you can paint as close as possible to getting the boat in the water.

·
Registered
342 Posts
What do you mean by a bare Hull?? There hasn't been any Antifoul on it before.
Do you not have to sell your children to afford Coppercoat???
Depends on how long you intend to keep the boat. I did my Arvor 730 six years ago.
It just needs a pressure wash down once a year on lift out and every 3 years ish a scrub with a green nylon pan scrubber to take it back to copper. It depends on size of boat but mine cost less than £600 six years ago for a 25ft boat. To me it was money well spent for the saving in time alone and the longer I keep the boat the more it saves me year on year.

·
Premium Member
3,587 Posts
Alot of the money to come from prep to remove old AF first Bill. It to be worth it for hassle but to check copper coat to work well into your area as some people to say it not to be as good as af in certain areas.
You to still need to be lifted and slimed off but not to much hard work.

·
Registered
342 Posts
As I said if the boat hull is clean it's worth considering, my boat is in NW Cumbria, and quite a few boats in the marina are copper coated and I have never heard any complaints but heard plenty from people about being laid under their boat in cr*p spring weather with traditional antifoul.

·
Registered
3,976 Posts
As I said if the boat hull is clean it's worth considering, my boat is in NW Cumbria, and quite a few boats in the marina are copper coated and I have never heard any complaints but heard plenty from people about being laid under their boat in cr*p spring weather with traditional antifoul.
Ove got copper coat. Been on there for many years and keeps on working… I recommend it. No need to remove and start again, just add a coat on top when needed

·
Registered
342 Posts
Yes definitely, but it can't be applied over traditional antifoul, it needs stripping off (usually soda blasting) and then coppercoat primer applying under temp controlled conditions 👍

·
Registered
5,581 Posts
Wrong time of year to apply it. CC is good but it needs meticulous preparation and environment controlled application. If you are serious about CC get it done by a pro in a boat shed set up for the task or you could be wasting a lot of dosh in tears. Take heed!

·
Registered
342 Posts
As I said, it needs to be applied under temperature controlled conditions. Depending on size of boat it can be applied in a heated garage in the middle of winter.
If you are considering using coppercoat give them a bell, they are very helpful and will give you all the help and advice you need.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts