World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello to everybody.
I am new hear and new to sea fishing.
I have been hovering around the forum for a bit as a non member and found it to be a wealth of information ( and seems refreshingly friendly)
So decided to join.
I have a few questions but please let me know if there is a more appropriate part of the forum to ask them.
I have come to sea fishing almost by accident!
I was visiting my son who lives in Aberystwyth.
We had been intending on doing a weak of hiking but my son broke his foot so we when looking for something else to do that didn’t involve to much walking!
After a quick visit to “Aberystwyth gun and fishing tackle” (who where friendly and helpful) we left armed with a couple of new rods some good local info and everything else we needed to get going .
We had a great week in Aberystwyth and I’m now hooked! ( no pun intended)
but I am now back home in Cambridge and a little further from the sea .
I am really keen to keep up the fishing.
I have most of the Norfolk Suffolk and some of the Essex coast within easy day trip distance .
I am wondering really whether anyone could give me any advice on a good place to start at this time of year?
Where to go and what to fish for?
I don’t mind at all what I fish for at this stage, just to get catching would be good for my confidence.
The shortest drive for me would be Snettersham and Heacham but I imagine catching anything in the wash may be a little challenging?
after that Hunstanton round to Cromer, or
Brightlingsea area of the Essex coast are close ish followed by Suffolk coast I think ,although Felixtowe is quite a n easy drive too as road is good .
I’m happy to spin, or fish bait.
we where feathering for mackerel in Aberystwyth but I don’t know if it is to late in the year now for this ?
My casting skills are still very much at the beginner level so ideally not somehow that requires monster casting to reach the fish!
I’m sure I will end up exploring most of the coastline of east anglia eventually but it would be nice to start out without have too many blank days while trying to build up some knowledge.
Sorry for such a wall .
thanks in advance for any advice 🙂

·
Registered
263 Posts
Snettisham is also my closest beach, and it's great for practice. I only started this year, so I can't offer much in the way of experienced advice. I've been using it for casting practice a few times, including over the weekend whilst taking a couple of nights at Diglea (the campsite closes for the season at the end of the month if you were wanting to make a weekend of it). There's fish there, I've watched the guys with the fixed net collecting them when the tide drops but I've yet to figure out the knack of enticing them onto a hook.

Cley is a nice beach. I was there last week, but only three sandeels to show for it. Parking is close by, and it's a pretty enough view to encourage you to keep casting even when nothing's biting.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks George.
I think I’ll give Snettisham a go first, as it’s one of the closest options Then work my way road the coast getting advice from local tackle shops.
I going to give Brightlinsea a go too as after a bit of research, it turns out it’s even quicker to get to from Cambridge than Norfolk is.
I don’t know the are at all so any advice on what to fish for at this time of year in the area would be great.
thanks jon

·
Registered
263 Posts
What kit have you got Jon? If you have a look at my recent write-up from Snettisham (in the East Coast, not South East forum section) you'll see that I'm getting nothing with lures, and it's generally regarded to be the wrong sort of area for lures/feathers. I'm going to try targeting flatties on my next trip (although still using my lure rod, as it's my only rod). Also, be aware that fishing is limited to a couple of hours either side of high tide at Snettisham. At low tide it's not fishable, and potentially dangerous to even try given the speed the water comes in over the mudflats.

For your lures/feathers I'd suggest Cley or along the shingle between there are Cromer. Although my beginners luck there has so far been limited to sandeels.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi
Realises I probably should have posted in east coast rather than south east,
Thanks to both of you for advice . That is exactly the kind of thing I was hoping to learn before setting out!
I currently only have an 8’ spinning rod .
I have fished bait with it but it will only really cast about 2 ounces so not really much good for beach casting .
I do also have a 10’ trout spinning rod that I haven’t tried at sea , I feel its probably too soft and slow for sea fishing.
it is capable of landing big ish fish but not sure how it would cast a heavy rig .
I hope to invest in a sensible beach casting rod once I get started.
Would it be worth re posting this in the east coast thread?

·
Registered
263 Posts
I have fished bait with it but it will only really cast about 2 ounces so not really much good for beach casting .
Mine's a 9' 10-50g so I've the same limitations. It should be ok for rolling 2oz of lead across the mud.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Hi
Realises I probably should have posted in east coast rather than south east,
Thanks to both of you for advice . That is exactly the kind of thing I was hoping to learn before setting out!
I do also have a 10’ trout spinning rod that I haven’t tried at sea , I feel its probably too soft and slow for sea fishing.
it is capable of landing big ish fish but not sure how it would cast a heavy rig .
I hope to invest in a sensible beach casting rod once I get started.
Would it be worth re posting this in the east coast thread?
You can spin, with feathers or lures, but you are probably right at the end of the window of opportunity for the year. That's really limited to the warmer months. If you were going to try that, a simple cheap lure called a dexter wedge will catch most predatory fish, especially mackerel.

If you buy a rod for bait fishing, which is the method that comes more to the fore as we go into winter, then in my opinion the best place for a beginner is the shingle from Cley to Weybourne. Through the autumn you are very likely to catch whiting, dab, founder and small bass.

·
Registered
248 Posts
In Norfolk I really would suggest the beaches between Cley and Weybourne. There's deep water on a short cast and although its tough at the moment, between now and October lots of small winter species will start to be caught close-in with lugworm baits and two hook flappers. Bait and info at West Runcton, Rite Gear, but check opening times. You may get away with 2oz and spinning rods some days.
If not there, then the beaches in and around Aldeburgh in Suffolk are not dissimilar. Please don't waste your time on the shallow sandy areas like Snettisham or Hunstanton until the summer next year, and even then they're not for starters or short casters.
My mate has caught fish at Weybourne with the end of his leader out of the water.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Bait fish after dark if you can on the shingle beaches as suggested. Avoid rough weather, northerlies and high winds. When the whiting come in the late autumn use cheap fish or squid for best results. Yes a beachcaster is best but even carp rods are OK in reasonable weather. Plenty of used tackle out there if you're on a budget.

Reactions: Sttevenoj

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Really appreciate all the advice,
I’ve got a bit of free time next week so having read the advice offered I think I’ll head to the shingle beaches around Weybourne for a couple of days and see how I get on.
I’ll post back here and let you know how it goes!
Thanks again
Jon

·
Registered
79 Posts
Hello to everybody.
I am new hear and new to sea fishing.
I have been hovering around the forum for a bit as a non member and found it to be a wealth of information ( and seems refreshingly friendly)
So decided to join.
I have a few questions but please let me know if there is a more appropriate part of the forum to ask them.
I have come to sea fishing almost by accident!
I was visiting my son who lives in Aberystwyth.
We had been intending on doing a weak of hiking but my son broke his foot so we when looking for something else to do that didn’t involve to much walking!
After a quick visit to “Aberystwyth gun and fishing tackle” (who where friendly and helpful) we left armed with a couple of new rods some good local info and everything else we needed to get going .
We had a great week in Aberystwyth and I’m now hooked! ( no pun intended)
but I am now back home in Cambridge and a little further from the sea .
I am really keen to keep up the fishing.
I have most of the Norfolk Suffolk and some of the Essex coast within easy day trip distance .
I am wondering really whether anyone could give me any advice on a good place to start at this time of year?
Where to go and what to fish for?
I don’t mind at all what I fish for at this stage, just to get catching would be good for my confidence.
The shortest drive for me would be Snettersham and Heacham but I imagine catching anything in the wash may be a little challenging?
after that Hunstanton round to Cromer, or
Brightlingsea area of the Essex coast are close ish followed by Suffolk coast I think ,although Felixtowe is quite a n easy drive too as road is good .
I’m happy to spin, or fish bait.
we where feathering for mackerel in Aberystwyth but I don’t know if it is to late in the year now for this ?
My casting skills are still very much at the beginner level so ideally not somehow that requires monster casting to reach the fish!
I’m sure I will end up exploring most of the coastline of east anglia eventually but it would be nice to start out without have too many blank days while trying to build up some knowledge.
Sorry for such a wall .
thanks in advance for any advice 🙂
Hi I live in thetford if u want to meet up anytime to go fishing let me know pm sent

1 - 15 of 15 Posts