World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering if anyone on this forum has any info on the Marina 16.
Me and mate have just bought one for a reasonable price, but not had chance to launch it yet.

The previous owner hadn't much information about the boat only that he used it several times last season in calm waters.
It's powered by a 40hp mariner (excellent working order) problem we have is our location (Ribble estuary of Lytham st annes) which is quite notorious for boat fishing (white horses due to shallow banks) so an indication wether the boat would hold up ok would be much appretiated.

C

·
0 Posts
Having just found one on Boats & Outboards it looks to have a speedboat type hull and very low freeboard. You are likely to get a bit wet and have a bumpy ride. Not an ideal starter boat and not one that I would buy for your area.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the advise, just checked Boats and outboards and yes! that's the boat allright.
Going to give it a go tomorrow as winds and tide are in our favour.:boat:

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
A mate and I had one new in the 70's ( which is the era the design comes from)

A fast manouverable hull with a bit more than a moderate V. We never had a problem with freeboard and in no way did I find it as low as some. In many ways the design concept was the same as the Shetland, ie with a family in mind.
40hp is a little on the low side but just about adequate with 2 up and not a lot of gear. I would suggest the addition of doel fins (or a clone off ebay) to the engine as the extra lift they generate will help the performance.

Down side... As they have more of a V hull than say a Shetland or a Microplus they are a bit wobbly side to side when at anchor. Not dangerously so, but I bet after a season or two you will be looking for a more stable hull for when you are at anchor fishing, probably a Seahog Shorty or similar.

Afishionado

1 - 4 of 4 Posts