World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,970 Posts
At that price, FABULOUS!

It'll be a huge benefit when drifting wrecks, anchoring or simply navigating and the screen is first class too.

Make sure you get a half decent tranducer for the fish finder to take advantage of the great screen.

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
Your not fitting that to the sheltie :nono: so come on spill the beans what are we going to be seeing you in at Weymouth next year :unsure:and i hope you got the hampsters approval 1st :laugh:.

Ian

·
Registered
304 Posts
Hmmm.. depends if you reckon £1300 is cheap for a GPS chart plotter..with no charts!
Ok, its a nice 12 inch display..comes with GPS antenna, but as far as I can see, thats it. Sounder module and radar dome are optional extras.
Has the C-Map Max Pro charts embedded, but you have to buy the licence to unlock them.
How many Northstar units do you see/have you seen on fishing boats/sport leisure boats? No, me either!
With my cynical old sod head on, Id not fancy trying to get it fixed/spares for it in 3 years time....
Regards Tony

·
Registered
2,970 Posts
Northstar is one of the largest manufacturers of marine electronics out there (some comfort I know when you look at Raymarines roller coaster!?) and as such be comfortable that it is quality kit.

Northstar is simply the global name for Navman a name it no longer trades under (think Marathon and Snickers).

The kit is good and reliable and is seen on many charter vessels and pleasure boats alike. Some of the very best boats afloat are kitted out with Northstar.

I do agree with Paul though... I am not convinced by touch screen on angling boats. I guess a handy packet of "Screenies" may need to be kept onboard.

·
Registered
225 Posts
For a chart plotter what are the laptop ones like? if you have an oldish laptop it would be easy enough to make up a splash proof housing, would be great with a 15 inch screen. One here from the auction site 120617693126

·
Registered
2,970 Posts
For a chart plotter what are the laptop ones like? if you have an oldish laptop it would be easy enough to make up a splash proof housing, would be great with a 15 inch screen. One here from the auction site 120617693126
Some use them, but they don't tend to have the robust ness of a dedicated unit.
Been looking at the Ipad and Navionics charts embedded on that. I can see it will be great for passage planning, but possibly not so good when actually afloat.

I like my nice big (12") multi screen display plotter / ff / radar.
I don't have the Northstar, but I'd not turn my nose up at owning one either.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Would i buy a touchscreen though ? What would the screen look like at the end of a days fishing with squid and lug ? Touchscreen would be nice on the fly bridge of your Fairline, not so sure about the helm of your fishing boat.
It's not the fish guts and bait slime that is the issue - I assume you'd just as well wipe your hands when you play with your traditional buttons as you would with the touchscreen - the buttons get mucky just as much, in fact I'd argue the screen is easier to clean.

The main issue is operating it whilst underway or rolling around - with a boat bouncing and rolling you need practice to operate the unit otherwise you bounce around all over the screen selecting everything under the sun!!!

As a rule I always just wipe my hands with my "bait rag" and then operate the unit, if its really mucky then a wipe at the end of the day is all that is required - but other than that no problems, navigation around the system is much faster (as in think time - you see it you point at it) with touchscreen and much more intuitive - I think Garmin now have a 70xx range of units that have an updated CPU allowing the unit to react just as quick as you do - look forward to seeing one at the SBS.

·
Banned
36 Posts
I have the 15 inch version of tis plotter, with the AIS engine, GPS, Radar and 2KW Transducer with the other 2 'Black Boxes' on it. Its a superb system and so far the best I have owned yet!

So easy to use and can confirm what everyone says about the filthy screen issue is complete rubbish as they are talking.

If you want anymore information then PM me.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.