World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2,469 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking at buying some 18mm marine ply from Wickes, question is, is it any good? In all honesty, their hardwood ply looks better, more laminates, better finish etc.... Having trouble finding a supplier local ish that sells pukka stuff yet alone at affordable prices...

·
Registered
880 Posts
Don't know if this helps as I can't remember off the top of my head where I got mine for my re-build (good stuff tho) but I was warned about getting marine ply from Wickes and another one similar. Apparently it's "cheap imports" or something.

·
Registered
603 Posts
I worked at a builders merchants when I was renewing the floor on my boat and asked the manager about the hardwood ply and he said it was water and boil proof. But not marine ply. He was very experienced and advised it would be fine apart from 'perhaps' a few voids. When I was ready to buy some we had just had a couple of new packs delivered. I was very surprised that one pack was very light and the grain of the inner plies was not very dense but the other was heavier and the plies were tightly packed. I chose to use the heavier sheets and must say I have had no issues with it. When cut it showed no voids or delamination. The builders complained that sheets from the other pack were rubbish easily warping and delaminating.
Water and boil proof he said means the glue should hold even when wet and hot !
Some good some bad.

·
Registered
603 Posts
IMG_0687.JPG

The veneer is wafer thin. I sealed the underneath with roofing resin which soaked into the wood very well as its not as thick as Loyds approved resin, then laminated with 450g chopped strand and Loyds approved resin. The surface was then sealed with two layers of 450 and topcoat with kiln dried sand for a non slip finish. The roofing resin is supposed to be approved to an equivalent standard to Loyds.

IMG_0836.JPG

·
Registered
2,469 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Don't know if this helps as I can't remember off the top of my head where I got mine for my re-build (good stuff tho) but I was warned about getting marine ply from Wickes and another one similar. Apparently it's "cheap imports" or something.
Yeah, that seems to be the issue, not every board is to standard although they are all stamped...... Far Eastern Marine Ply is the term I've been quoted! Just no idea where to get the good stuff, having been quoted up to £120 for an 8x4 sheet of far eastern!

The hardwood ply has a good veneer but is often poorer on the inside.
So it seems is also the case with some "marine ply", just how to know, the job is going to cost enough as is without having to do it again in a couple of years coz the marine ply wasn't up to scratch.....

I worked at a builders merchants when I was renewing the floor on my boat and asked the manager about the hardwood ply and he said it was water and boil proof. But not marine ply. He was very experienced and advised it would be fine apart from 'perhaps' a few voids. When I was ready to buy some we had just had a couple of new packs delivered. I was very surprised that one pack was very light and the grain of the inner plies was not very dense but the other was heavier and the plies were tightly packed. I chose to use the heavier sheets and must say I have had no issues with it. When cut it showed no voids or delamination. The builders complained that sheets from the other pack were rubbish easily warping and delaminating.
Water and boil proof he said means the glue should hold even when wet and hot !
Some good some bad.
My understanding is that they should basically be the same, just the BS 1088 marine grade should be free from voids/defects and a set amount of layers/plys'

·
Banned
3,789 Posts
Don’t buy it , Wickes , B+Q stuff is all crap ! It’s made more for the diy builder than a proper professional .
Find a local wood yard (independent) and buy Eastern European marine ply from them. It cheaper than UK stuff but will do what you need perfectly. If you can find a timber merchant near you, go and take a look at the two and compare !

·
Registered
5,308 Posts
The veneer is very thin on some FE (Far Eastern) ply.
I used it recently and it was peeling and very thin in places.
Score it well or drill a lot of small shallow holes in it before you glass and it should be ok.

·
Registered
603 Posts
In the picture I posted all the white spots are 6mm holes drilled shallow to help the bond. Also give it a good sanding as the release agent used when the ply is made prevents a good bond. The veneer on it was less than 0.5mm thick but seemed to be well bonded to the surface.

The ply I used had I think 7 plys the other pack I mentioned had 4 or 5. It was far eastern hardwood faced ply both direct from the same importer.

·
Registered
2,469 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The veneer is very thin on some FE (Far Eastern) ply.
I used it recently and it was peeling and very thin in places.
Score it well or drill a lot of small shallow holes in it before you glass and it should be ok.
Hmmmm, face veneer on marine ply should be 1.3mm minimum for BS1088...... Veritable minefield

·
Registered
5,308 Posts
Hmmmm, face veneer on marine ply should be 1.3mm minimum for BS1088...... Veritable minefield
Sorry, I was referring to exterior grade ply that I got from a local builders' merchants, not marine ply....

·
Registered
1,781 Posts
dosnt matter how many holes you drill in it fact is poly resin dosnt like to stick to ply very well ive used wbp on mine i filled any voids and i soaked it in accelerator to help with bond.

·
Registered
11,543 Posts
If I was rebuilding a transom or a deck I wouldn’t want to do it with wood but with composite so that it becomes a wood free hull like many of the American brands - Garry used some in his boat so I’m sure he could advise on what best to use.

·
Registered
2,469 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
If I was rebuilding a transom or a deck I wouldn’t want to do it with wood but with composite so that it becomes a wood free hull like many of the American brands - Garry used some in his boat so I’m sure he could advise on what best to use.
Yep, I looked at that before. Unfortunately, ply is considerably cheaper and bearing in mind boat was made in late 60's and now needs transom doing isn't too bad. In fact, if this was for river use and with a much smaller outboard, it would no doubt last a good while longer yet...... Having said that, if the core was comparible in price I would certainly be using it. Nidaplast is in the running for deck material so a composite transom would compliment that, and am sure having an all composite make up could be reflected in any sell-on price.

·
Registered
11,543 Posts
If I’m reading that website right - £75 for an 8x4 sheet 20mm thick I think I’d rather pay that even if the ply was free

1 - 20 of 24 Posts