World Sea Fishing Forums banner

any ideas

2K views 21 replies 14 participants last post by  FROGGY1 
#1 ·
:unsure::unsure:any body got any ideas what species of fish this little fella is .It was regurgatated for a gurnard onboard my boat yesterday.size approx 5 inches long grey in colour small eye type markings on the tail end and a very pointed snout.in 40 years of fishing i have never seen one of these

Attachments

See less See more
#5 ·
Phewwww !!!!! :unsure:

I looked at one end of it, checked out the markings and thought I know exactly what that is :sun:

One of the Pholididae :D family of ... Butterfish. Allowing for some discolouration of the main body, due to semi digestion and the markings, which are quite clear along the back. Black spot within white circle :) But then ........

I saw the lateral line and thought huh !!! Thats not quite right and worse still on reaching the head, I realised .... Oops ! That is definitely not right at all !!!!

So I'm stumped :eek: unless I was daft enough to call it a 'Butterfish Sand eel' which even I'm not.

So a mystery and a very good one at that :blink:

I'm going to leave this thread here for a while, in case Some one local does know but shortly I will move it to the General chat forum, with a link here to re direct :) Some clever Scotsman might know ;)

#10 ·
Might be a young Ribbonfish, though it looks a bit deep in the body

not the right type of head im afraid

jon the fish hadnt been digested at all so the colours are as is ive vac packed it and got it in my freezer it must have just been swallowed before it came on the boat in the gurnard

#11 ·
Could it be a spiney eel? That looks similar although I am not sure on its range or distribution. Whatever, it is a wierd looking thing, definately eel like. Maybe its something exotic that strayed a bit too far north or south for its own good.

Good luck identifying it.

#14 ·
Hiya,

don't know how it got there but it is definitely a fresh water Peacock /Spot finned Spiney Eel (Macrognathus siamensis), as kept by many aquarium owners.
many thanks for that info bet theres not many people going to add that one to their species list :clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2:

#15 ·
Hiya,

don't know how it got there but it is definitely a fresh water Peacock /Spot finned Spiney Eel (Macrognathus siamensis), as kept by many aquarium owners.

well done on the i.d. davy, you know your fish!
but as you say, how did it get there? a freshwater tropical fish from thailand, in the gut of a gurnard caught (presumably?) off the coast of wales!
perhaps someone flushed their dead one down the pan...?

#16 ·
Hiya,
It helps when it's a fish you have actually kept in an aquarium :)
but as you say, how did it get there? a freshwater tropical fish from thailand, in the gut of a gurnard caught (presumably?) off the coast of wales!
I would think a flushing down the pan is the most likely way it got there.

#19 ·
just a bit more info on this one guys i was fishing 9 mile off Rhyl nowhere near any sewrage pipes 10 customers onboard the fish wasnt in the gurnards stomach it was in its mouth and fell out when it came onboard the boat :blink::blink: i wold love to know how it got that far out how it survived in the sea without getting eaten by something other than a gurnard .thanks for all the comments keep them coming:notworthy:notworthy:notworthy

#21 ·
Hiya,
Was it in the first, second or turd gurnard landed? :)
that was bad dave :)

A weird one Steve. A bit like the goldfish in the canal at Clydebank Davy! If it was alive it wouldn't have survived long with the water temp.
Sadly the goldies are long gone here now :(

going back to the eel, it certainly is intriguing as there is no way it got there on it's own accord. The water temp is way too low for it to survice and apart from that it's a freshwater fish so wouldnt survive in the salt. It also looks reasonably fresh, don't suppose there would be many big boats with aquariums on them ????

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.