World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
here is another one of those moaning posts just to cheer everybody up on a miserable sunday morning,went out to a mark last nite on the north coast where i have been picking up ray and turbs,every ray i have caught has been returned and all the small bots returned also,however last nite after a scrabble down the cliffs and tackling up four rods,turned around and looked out to sea and out to the right was an orange buoy followed by a black flag okay i thought a net ,have seen them there b4 so fair enough,but hang on a minute overlapping this was another orange buoy and flag then another and another and so on right the way across the bay as far as the eye could see,this was not just across the bay it actually boxed the whole area,this is an all clean ground mark,so it deffo aint pots,what is going on ?these nets were within 300 yards of the shore,i honestly cant understand it,after all we all know that 99 percent of fish we catch off the shore are immature,so why is it being hammered like this,i am starting to wonder why i bother to return any fish at all,i have freinds that like eating ray ,but i have never given them one,thats going to change,i hate killing ray huss eels etc ,but if i put them back there fate is sealed anyway,from what i can make out. totally gutting.the goverment ,tackle shops,bait collecters all make a huge amount of money from us anglers and yet when it comes to preserving a few fish ,ah well sorry but tough ,i looked out at those nets last nite and wondered how many of the fish i had returned were hanging,why ,why ,why,the more i think about it the madder i m getting,sea angling is a dying sport,i know that there needs to be commercial fishing but when are they going to act and create safety areas,nursery areas no take zones,how can people get away with boxing in whole areas,surely this must decimate fish stocks ,these sand banks are NUSERY AREAS please leave alone.i reckon i spend between £20 and £40 a week on fishing,is there any point after all we can all go and sit by the sea for free,anyway after a move total catch 6 dogs ,1 schoolie,oh and they want us to pay for a sea fishing licence ,well not a chance will i pay,no way ever,unless i see some serious changes,i would like to say i feel happier after this rant ,but i dont cause its still going on .

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Its a nightmare mate, we are getting netted all over the place. Takes the p1$$ really.

Like you say, we spend a lot of money on our sport and its being spoilt by people who simply dont care about conservation, just their pockets.

If I see any nets within casting range then out comes a 535 mag and 40lb line, a string of heavy duty feathers and I try my hardest to bring the net to shore and destroy it. Even lobster pots get the same treatment, but they are very heavy indeed.

I dont care if thats someones net, they shouldn't be doing it, but as far as I know there is no law stopping them.

So there aint a lot we can do about it until the government wake up and sort this issue out, which anint gonna happen anytime soon..

·
Registered
696 Posts
i have to agree mate, one place last year was netted from point to point right the way across two beaches! made me teasy because i wasted an afternoon and the sea is fecking huge why net off an entire bay!!??

Another thing that annoys me is potters (normally the part timers who think they are expert fishermen) who put there pots right across well known fishing marks about 20-30 yards out so you cant fish them!!! Such as porthkerris and flatrocks. I understand that this is for lobsters but theres loads more ground out there!

Anyway on a slightly better note i had a shed load of herring lastnite along with a few mackeral. My bait for the year is done! and my lunch,

martin

·
Registered
2,400 Posts
If I see any nets within casting range then out comes a 535 mag and 40lb line, a string of heavy duty feathers and I try my hardest to bring the net to shore and destroy it. Even lobster pots get the same treatment, but they are very heavy indeed.
the pots/nets would have to be 50yds out then mate:bleh::bleh::bleh:;)..and if they are legal you could be done for criminal damage.i would be carefull what you say on an open forum mate.

ps.hows the fishing:)

·
Registered
3,627 Posts
Sorry to hear that eug im guessing its one of your favourite marks. After being told recently about an alleged 40 nets strung along Dawlish Warren to Dawlish 200yds offshore heres what i think; commercial netters (british and foreign) have destroyed our fish stocks, they aren't interested in conservation or protecting whats left for the future because they are either struggling therefore desperate to catch whatever they can or just plain greedy. They are responsible for this mass decimation yet moan like f**k when the ones who have suffered the most (anglers) try to do something about conversation. If left to their own devices the commercials would ensure the seas around our coast would be completely empty just like the once great newfoundland cod fishery. If its true we import 80% of our fish for our needs why not make it 100% and do away with commercial fishing for say 10 years, withdraw from the CFP and then start again with conservation and protection top of the agenda. Iceland and Norway know what the crack is and look at the fishing available over there. I know its all been said before but who is listening? I bet if every recreational sea angler started saying they were gonna vote BNP at the next election cos they are the only ones supporting withdrawal from the EU and the CFP the government would be falling over themselves to listen to us. Muppets the lot of em :hammer:

·
Registered
1,407 Posts

the pots/nets would have to be 50yds out then mate:bleh::bleh::bleh:;)..and if they are legal you could be done for criminal damage.i would be carefull what you say on an open forum mate.

ps.hows the fishing:)
The fishing is not bad mate cheers, but not been out very much.

Anyone who wants to take a pop at me for damaging their nets or pots are more than welcome.

They should have some respect for others and then I might.

Yes pots are heavy, but I have managed to bring one to shore off the back of capstone once, didnt damage it, just took out of the water and left it on the rocks. I lost 3 sets of feathers on it and that was enough.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Eug,

They are nets for spider crabs mate. They wont catch mush else; maybe rays, but there are so many spiders this time of the year they soon get gagged and wount fish effectivley for anything else. Why so close to the shore? well thats were the spider crabs are this time of the year.
We have some 1/2mile off shore that catch very little, the ones inside that are loaded with crab.

Dozza

I wish you luck dragging a net or string of pots ashore with your rod mate. Doubt to will get very far - just loose your gear.
Lobster pots are fished so close - once again - because that is where the lobsters will be. small boats will often fish hard in on the shore as that is the place where the bigger boats cannot get to and so the best fishing for them will be.

Fox

There are very few foreign netters who fish anywhere near the UK. One or two french tangle netters fishing monk and turbot in the channel and irish sea and thats about it.

The cod fishery on the grand banks collapsed after foreign boats were excluded. The canadian authorities bought it on themselves. They set the limits which to commercial fishermen work to. Too much fishing effort caused the stock to collapse, although there are signs of recovery it will never be ever be anything like what it once was; but then, when it was first discovered, fish were caught by lowering baskets to the sea bed, then pulling them up again there were so many there.

UKIP also support withdrawl from the CFP and europe - without the racial hatred. I'm sure that if the BNP got into power it would be no different than when adolf hitler gained power in germany, and we all know what happened there.

Norway and iceland do have far superior fisheries than we do, but they are properly managed and they have not sold out to foreigners and allow them to enter their waters and fill their boots. Both countries still have commercial fisheries which shows comercial fishermen, RSA and healthy fish stocks can be maintained simultainiously when managed correctly.

Because of the number of UK fishing liciences held by foreign vessels tying up the uk fishing fleet would not see any improvement to our fish stocks - it would just leave the doors open the french and spannish, dutch and belgian boats to fish at their leasure. These countries are well renowned for not following the rules as closely as UK fishermen so the over all situation would be worse - not better.

Be careful what you wish for - because you might just get it.

There are many fixed tangle and gill net fisheries which have tiny discard rates; like the nets eug saw. There is also no sea bed damage.
Many trawlers work on fisheries with upto 90% discard rates, as they tear the sea bed up. IMHO it is the trawlers who have done the most damage - not netters.

SS
hi mate ,you do come out with some interesting info,and i have picked up quite a few valuable tips from your posts,however personally i think you are wrong about this particular point,the whole area is shallow sand banks that is a haven for flatties and ray these nets are set so nought gets in or out of the area.yes you may get the odd spider there,but if i was trying to catch crab to make money surely i would find an area that is renowned for them,as for nets causing no damage ,wot a load of crock,broken and lost nets fish for years,they are in bits on all the beaches,they catch birds,mammals turtles etc etc,why net off a whole area surely that is just shooting yourself in the foot as a whole area is going to be decimated,i also thought the reason you dont travel out to sea anymore is down to fuel costs,eating into profit,i do understand there is always going to be a commercial fishery,well that is untill you wipe out everything,which is going to happen sooner rather than later,however to net off an entire stretch of coastline is disgusting, i get sick to death of british fishermen blaming everybody else,never responsible for there own greedy actions,just take a look at what happened in newlyn,

·
Registered
3,627 Posts
SS,
You obviously don't know much about UKIP or the BNP but the point i was making is that say your gonna vote BNP because of this or that and you gain the governments attention because they hate that more than anything. Still, you managed to enlighten me with what i already know and avoided the issue of indiscriminate inshore netting practices. You say they are spider crab nets and that only ray are likely to be caught? Well its a safe bet that eug was fishing for ray? And aren't ray one of the few species left that are still around in numbers and size? Ah well maybe theres too many so its ok too wipe em out as well eh? Nothing personal SS:)

·
Registered
1,784 Posts
This notion that gill nets catch everything that swims is just not true,i doubt if i discarded a dozen undersize fish last week.The nets used for spiders have a large mesh,i expect sharpshooter will tell you the exact size,and i doubt if much small stuff gets caught in them.

·
Registered
3,627 Posts
This notion that gill nets catch everything that swims is just not true,i doubt if i discarded a dozen undersize fish last week.The nets used for spiders have a large mesh,i expect sharpshooter will tell you the exact size,and i doubt if much small stuff gets caught in them.
So if you discarded a dozen and there were how many blokes working gill nets around our coast last week? Adds up to quite a lot of discarded undersize fish i reckon :g:

·
Registered
1,784 Posts
So if you discarded a dozen and there were how many blokes working gill nets around our coast last week? Adds up to quite a lot of discarded undersize fish i reckon :g:
I suspect an angler who fished the same hours would discard as many if not more fish.Remember just cos it swims away does not neccersarily mean it will still be alive a few hours later.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
well thats not what the antis reckon eh,i honestly dont believe these are just tangle nets.

·
Registered
1,784 Posts
What people reckon ain't always what's happening and without knowing facts we are all guessing to some extent.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
What people reckon ain't always what's happening and without knowing facts we are all guessing to some extent.
reading these posts just goes to show what dinoboy said a while ago about netters reading catch reports for info,i wonder if i cocked it up for myself by leaving reports,lesson learnt and all that

·
Registered
7,863 Posts
The key questions are - what depth are the nets fishing at? How much if any space at their bases, between them and the sea-bed? Are they gill-nets or tangle-nets?

The answers should sort out what is being targeted. If it is flatties & ray, then yes there will be a problem. I know from experience, as tangle-netters targeting ray & turbot wiped both species in the 1990s round here - a lesson in non-management of stocks.

Or are they setting the nets higher to fish bass, mullet etc?

If stocks around here were not so badly shafted, there would be a prime fishery for hook-caught species such as some of those mentioned above, with premium prices given sensible marketing. Instead it's just grab, grab, grab and sell to the first dude who flashes a small wad!

Cheers - John

·
Registered
3,627 Posts
I suspect an angler who fished the same hours would discard as many if not more fish.Remember just cos it swims away does not neccersarily mean it will still be alive a few hours later.
You can't be for real:uhuh:

·
Registered
1,784 Posts
reading these posts just goes to show what dinoboy said a while ago about netters reading catch reports for info,i wonder if i cocked it up for myself by leaving reports,lesson learnt and all that
Without meaning to sound big headed i doubt there is anything an angler could tell me about fish movements in my area,on the other hand i have always given out info and numbers on this site.

·
Registered
4,931 Posts
i find it hard to belive that they box net for spiders yes i know they are fishing for them at the mo but someone said they have large meshes for spiders funny how ray nets have 12"meshes too and funny how the mark was fishing superb then nil when the nets turn up:g:

I TELL YOU ALL THIS DONT ASK AS I WILL NOT TELL YOU!!

SAD BUT TRUE:schmoll:

·
Registered
5,602 Posts
hi mate ,you do come out with some interesting info,and i have picked up quite a few valuable tips from your posts,however personally i think you are wrong about this particular point,the whole area is shallow sand banks that is a haven for flatties and ray these nets are set so nought gets in or out of the area.yes you may get the odd spider there,but if i was trying to catch crab to make money surely i would find an area that is renowned for them,as for nets causing no damage ,wot a load of crock,broken and lost nets fish for years,they are in bits on all the beaches,they catch birds,mammals turtles etc etc,why net off a whole area surely that is just shooting yourself in the foot as a whole area is going to be decimated,i also thought the reason you dont travel out to sea anymore is down to fuel costs,eating into profit,i do understand there is always going to be a commercial fishery,well that is untill you wipe out everything,which is going to happen sooner rather than later,however to net off an entire stretch of coastline is disgusting, i get sick to death of british fishermen blaming everybody else,never responsible for there own greedy actions,just take a look at what happened in newlyn,
There are plenty of foreing trawlers in our waters, slapton,chesil,seen many on a clear day.It will continue............sadly because no-one in the big houses dose enough.Off the subject....speed cameras target drivers,how many idiots kill innocent people,were an easy target.Same with the fishing,were an easy target,money,money,conservation,conservation,rod liecence............yep conservation all the way,but start with the robbing bastards dredging our seas,and putting back dead fish that cant be landed.until we get someone with angling back ground to start shouting and going through parliment in the right way,then we will all suffer greatly.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts