World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
3,562 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
has anyone been trying for mackerel in the Forth yet ?

im sure it cant be long now tho after seeing all the sandeels a few weeks back,
i was wondering if any had been caught yet.

Andy.

·
Registered
116 Posts
There were a good few folk fishing for mackies at North Berwick on Sunday. None of them had any luck as far as I know. Not surprised really as it's very early. Last year I had my first from the shore towards the end of May so it shouldn't be too long.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Where abouts did people have their best success with the mackies last year? I tried Elie and Burntisland and had none :blink:

Blenny

·
Registered
3,562 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ive only tried Methil Sea Wall,
caught a few very late last year. but wasnt sure when they arrived :).

i may give it an hour or so within the next few days.

cheers
Andy

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
You will be wasting your time Andy mate. They wont be up there for atleast another month yet. There are just a few begining to show now although i have only heard of two people managing them from the shore so far this year.

·
Registered
178 Posts
2 years ago I caught mackeral in the last week of april at Methil, no fluke, four casts, 4 fish. Saying that i didnt get anymore untill the june

·
Registered
3,562 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
:) Still a bit early for them. Hoping to get out off this weekend so if i get any will let you know.:)

im gonna try it tommorrow,so will let you know about the weekend ,
just too try this carp rod out. and maybe get a very lost mackerel :)

andy.

·
Registered
2,644 Posts
Can't speak for further up the firth,but usually end of May into June before you see them at Elie and some other spots in the East Neuk. Last year was the best for donkeys years from the boats here,but the opposite from the rocks.I think I'd hardly push 50 for the whole summer,where the summer before you could get 50 a night.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Can't speak for further up the firth,but usually end of May into June before you see them at Elie and some other spots in the East Neuk. Last year was the best for donkeys years from the boats here,but the opposite from the rocks.I think I'd hardly push 50 for the whole summer,where the summer before you could get 50 a night.
Similar story at Granton Codhead. Last year was alright but the previous year was exceptional!

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
If your spinning from the rocks you might 'fluke' one, a bit to ealry but stranger things have happened. You will stand a good chance of pollack and coalies though which will give you some good sport though anyway Andy mate. You could try a float with snadeel on your new carp rod, then try casting out and retrieving a set of feathers on your Kompressor mate as that would probably give you the best chance of getting one. Pollack and coalies will take feathers, and the float will get them too.

·
Registered
3,562 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
If your spinning from the rocks you might 'fluke' one, a bit to ealry but stranger things have happened. You will stand a good chance of pollack and coalies though which will give you some good sport though anyway Andy mate. You could try a float with snadeel on your new carp rod, then try casting out and retrieving a set of feathers on your Kompressor mate as that would probably give you the best chance of getting one. Pollack and coalies will take feathers, and the float will get them too.
i will be fishing off the sea wall tommorrow, 1 crap or carp rod :) ,
only trying feathers/lures.
if nowt else it will get me out the house for an hour or 2.

if i catch any ( which i doubt ) i will post up a reply.

cheers
Andy.

·
Registered
3,562 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
no mackerel showing just yet, :)

but still i caught a few fish on the float and spinning .

tired a wee bit float fishing with the carp rod which caught around 6 coalfish, then decided too try the spinning rod and hoki heads for a very lost mackerel...:)
first cast caught me a fish which i first thought was possibly a mackerel , but i soon noticed it was 3 coalfish, hooked on the 3 hoki head trace.
it was like that constantly, small coalfish jumping on the line.

then another member on this forum turned up , Lobsterkid.
as he was working,so he only stayed for 10 mins ;) .
he gave me a few tips on the float fishing side and expertly showed me how too tie a mono- braid knot. :thumbs: .

so i went back too the float for a wee while which resulted in another few small coalfish.

Lobsterkid had a few casts with my spinning rod, but honestly canni mind if he got any off the small coalies on ?,

total coalfish caught was around 15 .

not much else caught but its alot better than the blank :clap2:

Andy.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Well done Andy:clap3: Another large catch. Looks like im going to have to be on top form on sunday to match you.

Maybe i'll put a disclaimer in just now and say im going for big fish rather than numbers:giveup: :giveup:

1 - 20 of 29 Posts