World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to buy two new fixed spool reels for shore duties (18lb line), Im considering buying the following:

Shimano Aerlex XS8000
and maybe a
Penn Surfmaster 850

Any recommendations much appreciated

·
Mussel Man
2,506 Posts
dont overlook the biomaster ;).... a proper work-horse!

use mine with 15 and 20lb lines, the retreive is so quick (1mtr per turn of handle), the weight (5oz) skims in for the last 30 yrds with the tip up.

real handy for rocky areas. just a thought,

pair, and a three sitting on flea-bay now.

al.

p.s welcome to the forum :)

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
I'm looking to buy two new fixed spool reels for shore duties (18lb line), Im considering buying the following:

Shimano Aerlex XS8000
and maybe a
Penn Surfmaster 850

Any recommendations much appreciated
i'd recommend the daiwa emcast evo... good casting, good retrieve and good value.... try tackleshop.co.uk... they are reduced to £49 at the mo

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
dont overlook the biomaster ;).... a proper work-horse!

use mine with 15 and 20lb lines, the retreive is so quick (1mtr per turn of handle), the weight (5oz) skims in for the last 30 yrds with the tip up.

real handy for rocky areas. just a thought,

pair, and a three sitting on flea-bay now.

al.

p.s welcome to the forum :)
Cheers Al, my budget is up to £140 for two FS reels, I think the biomaster is more expensive ???

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i'd recommend the daiwa emcast evo... good casting, good retrieve and good value.... try tackleshop.co.uk... they are reduced to £49 at the mo
Thx for the reply Archie, my last two Daiwas broke (but they were cheaper models though), so was thinkning of going upmarket a bit to Shimano and Penn.

Thx for the link I'll have a look

·
Mussel Man
2,506 Posts
Cheers Al, my budget is up to £140 for two FS reels, I think the biomaster is more expensive ???

keep an eye on flea bay now ;)

just read the ad's and dont be afraid to buy s/h, as long as its from course fishing (no saltwater).

mine was absolutely mint with three spools topped up with new sensor, cost.. £40.

you will have pm shortly.

al.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Hi Jason,

I have an Aerlex XS 7000 and Surfmaster 70 - not exactly what you want, but for what it's worth:

The SM 70 has a quality feel, is well designed and engineered. It casts well, comes with an extra spool, but is a clean, perhaps light mixed ground reel.

The XS 7000 is a bigger, heavier reel, that has been well thought out, but does not feel as robust as the Penn, more plastic. It does not have an extra spool and the original is plastic. It casts well, retrieves well albeit with slower gearing . It does have a very good quick drag system though.

Both reels can be bought for roughly the same money currently.

I prefer the Penn.

Cheers!

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
It's worth looking at the grauvel zeus 5000 bit up on your price range for 2 but well worth it. I've recently pensioned off my aging shimano's and came to the conclusion that these are a much better buy and that the shimano's aren't what they used to be. They come with 2 spare spools which will cover all of your fishing needs including braid. They are usually about £80 a piece but you might be able to get a deal on a pair. I had an amazing deal on one plus a supro.

John

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Lads, might be a stupid question but looking on ebay theres lots of reels described as carp reels, are these ok for sea fishing, is there any difference ?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It's worth looking at the grauvel zeus 5000 bit up on your price range for 2 but well worth it. I've recently pensioned off my aging shimano's and came to the conclusion that these are a much better buy and that the shimano's aren't what they used to be. They come with 2 spare spools which will cover all of your fishing needs including braid. They are usually about £80 a piece but you might be able to get a deal on a pair. I had an amazing deal on one plus a supro.

John
thx John I'll take a look at grauvel, just bit over budget, as in addition to the two new fs reels, Im also hoping to get a new multiplier in a few weeks time.

Jason

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
Spot on there fella i have 2 they are very robust i also have the new Penn it looks the business and casts well but it wont take much knocking about in my opinion (been sent back once after month use)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Spot on there fella i have 2 they are very robust i also have the new Penn it looks the business and casts well but it wont take much knocking about in my opinion (been sent back once after month use)
Is the Penn the Surfmaster, if so what problems did you have?

·
Registered
4,982 Posts
paul's talking about the new penn reels , the surfmaster series has just been discontinued , and far superior in my opinion, i've got three sm 60' s and cant fault em
cuberd

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
paul's talking about the new penn reels , the surfmaster series has just been discontinued , and far superior in my opinion, i've got three sm 60' s and cant fault em
cuberd
Are you sure mate the surfmaster is advertised everywhere as 'new for 07' promotional price £50 ?

B

·
0 Posts
Lads, might be a stupid question but looking on ebay theres lots of reels described as carp reels, are these ok for sea fishing, is there any difference ?
If they're described as BIG PIT reels they will be fine!

C

·
0 Posts
I have the Penn 850's and had no problems, but they dont get a lot of shore use.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts